Viewing 40 posts - 2,681 through 2,720 (of 6,928 total)
  • My dear old things, it's STW TMS!
  • mikewsmith
    Free Member

Good game! Solid umpiring and some good reviews. Not sure on the counting at times there….

dantsw13

Oh, it’s one of those “bowl too short “ matches from Broad.

drlex
    Free Member

And Stokes, perhaps?

dantsw13

Yes, not a great first over. Settling in though.

drlex
    Free Member

And then  Woakes’ short ball gets the third wicket – make for a jolly England lunch,

dantsw13

Yes, but that was a proper intentional short ball, rather than back of a length dross on a swinging deck!

Klunk
    Free Member

should have kept Curran in the side for a bit of variation, military medium right arm over is all a bit predicable especially when there’s no swing.

theotherjonv

just been on catch up. Don’t know why Bairstow left it, clear keeper’s catch, but that’s a heck of a grab by Cook.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Solid end to the day there, they need to be on and mop up very quick tomorrow to get on top. Otherwise could be a long day

dannyh
    Free Member

Imagine how sharp Broad could be if he actually had his hand behind the ball at release….

slackalice
    Free Member

Hmmm… strikes me that the England bowling ‘attack’ is still flummoxed when there’s no moisture in the air or wicket. On flat tracks, they seem unable to produce any variation and at what is considered as medium – fast/medium pace, once again, batsmen can pick them off with relative ease.

Trent Bridge usually throws up a moving wicket, although apart from the first couple of hours yesterday, this time around, it looks inert. With the drizzle and moisture this morning along with the new ball, there maybe something to help our bowlers, if not, this test has India win all over it.

Personally, I would have retained Sam Curran for his variation and he can hold a bat. Is Stokes really that influential? The pundits seem to think he’s the contemporary Botham, I’d be more convinced if he were our equivalent to Jaques Kallis.

ransos
    Free Member

I’d be more convinced if he were our equivalent to Jaques Kallis.

He had a batting average of 55! One of the greatest players ever.

slackalice
    Free Member

Along with ABdeV!

Klunk
    Free Member

ask the umpire 🙂

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

That voice…

😍

Klunk
    Free Member

dead ball already 🙂

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

PMSL at the clown shoe/cricket boot hybrid…

dannyh
    Free Member

Kallis: in 166 Tests scored 13,289 runs at 55.37, took 292 wickets at 32.65 and took 200 catches! So often underrated because he just got on with it. No fuss, no shouty shouty.

He’s a better all rounder than Botham, Imran and Kapil. Probably second only to Sobers as an all rounder. Certainly the best all rounder since the mid 90s unless you sneakily allow Gilchrist a look-in and even then, Kallis is better.

Klunk
    Free Member

wheels are coming off here!

Klunk
    Free Member

need another 19 to  save the follow on 4 wickets left

Klunk
    Free Member

woakes reviews,  muppet!

Klunk
    Free Member

come on Jimmy just a nudge, buttler in full 20-20 mode

cheers_drive

England have lost all 10 wickets in a session 3 times in the past 2 year. Prior to that it was 74 years since they last did it.

A telling stat.

Klunk
    Free Member

england are being flayed to all parts now

Klunk
    Free Member

ffs shambolic

slackalice
    Free Member

Deary me. I go out for the day and come back to this! Just read the scoreboard, haven’t bothered checking anything else. Any positives?

@dannyh
    , my point entirely, of the modern era, JK is supreme not least because of his consistency. You named the other two!

dannyh
    Free Member

This series so far has actually a perfect example of how home series against subcontinent teams cover up the cracks for England.

With the ball moving extravagantly we are the best bowling side in the world, but batting wise England have been there for the taking since ball one. India have just been worse.

What on earth Kohli was doing picking the chinaman bowler for Lords and bringing Ashwin on as fifth bowler, I really don’t know.

dannyh
    Free Member

Well, England can wave this one by and try to get their heads straight for Southampton.

The batting collapse yesterday was abject. It’s like England can’t envisage a situation where an opposing team can have a good session in English conditions and just keep playing the same way, no matter what.

Pandya had a very good spell – but England could have denied him two or three of those wickets by being more cautious. Pandya is a classic hot/cold player – not a lot in between. An exciting guy to watch when he’s firing with bat or ball, but the kind of player that can easily be put back in his box by some obdurate play. With the amount of time left in the game, England could have blunted that attack and should still be batting now. Their best spinner is crocked!

Klunk
    Free Member

got very dusty in here ! 🙂

spacey

Yep that was lovely

drlex
    Free Member

That was indeed a touching email- got repeated on brekker telly this morning.

Id like to think grit will be shown and we’ll grind out three hundred plus in the fifth day, but anticipate being bundled out for under 200 today.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

It’s only 6 sessions, as Vaughn said 1 wicket per session dig on and make them work for it – sounds plausible, or early tea and off clubbing which would you prefer?

Klunk
    Free Member

that’s the one for the session

johndoh
    Free Member

FFS

mikewsmith
    Free Member

still on track….

as an aside given how the bowlers have performed so well with the bat so far, would we not be better off with 7 or 8 bowlers/all rounders in the team and open with Jimmy and Broad?

Klunk
    Free Member

see what happens when you hold your catches

johndoh
    Free Member

FFS #2

dannyh
    Free Member

Not that I ever want to see a player dropped, but it’s hard to see how England can’t drop Jennings now – left handed top order batsman who is struggling for runs and shelling catches in the slips – rings a bell from a couple of weeks ago!

I watched the highlights yesterday and England were just awful – I firmly believe the injury to Bairstow wouldn’t have happened during an intense period of play where everyone was 100% up for it – his feet would have been moving better and he would have been less likely to be caught in the classic “I’ll go for this fingers down, but it’s getting big on me……” mess.

Is it worth England going for six or sticks now – get this over with quickly and have an extra day off before the next game? I’m not sure what good it will do investing a lot of effort in this game now – sad though it is to say it.

Klunk
    Free Member

“the england captain wafts at a wide one”

Klunk
    Free Member

embarassing now

Viewing 40 posts - 2,681 through 2,720 (of 6,928 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.