Viewing 40 posts - 2,281 through 2,320 (of 6,928 total)
  • My dear old things, it's STW TMS!
  • aracer
    Free Member

Scamper wrote:

Can’t see The coach lasting much longer although a complete lack of self awareness as with the others, may keep him in the job a bit longer.

Exactly the sort of qualities you want from a coach. He might survive the immediate fallout as implausible as it seems that he had no knowledge when you review all the available evidence, but he’s damned if he does damned if he doesn’t – this happened on his watch.

lunge

Related but not, Paine has had a heck of a 6 months. just before the Ashes he couldn’t get into his state team, now he’s the captain of his country. That’s some turnaround.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

So who had a cheeky $100 on next Australian captain being Tim Paine?

martinhutch

I am starting to feel sorry for Smith though: they’re making him front the media in a hangar at Sydney the moment they touch down from Jo’berg. Not quite sure what publicly interrogating a no doubt very sleep deprived, jet lagged and utterly crushed man will do for anyone.

While enjoying his and Warner’s discomfort, I think if I was still facing a year ban (from all cricket in Australia) for something which carries a match ban in ICC terms I wouldn’t see the incentive to take part in a deflection exercise for CA.

TBH I’d be on the phone arranging my summer season in England. I’m sure plenty of counties would snap up pretty much the best batsman in the world.

lunge

IPL ban as well, that’s a good few dollars out of their pockets.

Scamper
    Free Member

Was starting to feel a little sorry for Smith, but having now read the charge sheet, no chance.

As for Warner he evidently tried to keep his head down on the pitch and post match.

aracer
    Free Member

I think it’s the same link I posted earlier, but Smith and Warner also banned from the captaincy for 2 years – not that I’m sure what difference it will make, I can’t see Warner ever getting anywhere near being captain now – he’ll be lucky if he ever plays for Australia again – whilst it’s as effective as he’s been it’s hard to see Smith being considered again either

http://www.espncricinfo.com/story/_/id/22939470/steven-smith-david-warner-banned-12-months-cricket-australia

and in other bad news for them they’ve also been dropped by the IPL

http://www.espncricinfo.com/story/_/id/22939978/david-warner-steven-smith-axed-ipl-2018

edit: oops – updating story, Warner banned for life from captaincy, Bancroft banned for another 12 months after his playing ban ends – again I can’t see it making any difference, Bancroft might yet be captain but not for several years anyway

and more details:

http://www.espncricinfo.com/story/_/id/22940383/cricket-australia-statement-smith-warner-bancroft-bans

aracer
    Free Member

It seems kind of tough on Smith – he’s not instantly dislikeable in the way Warner is – but I agree with Scamper, looking at the charges it seems that as usual it’s the cover up which gets you. How daft of him – I suspect he’d have escaped with lesser sanctions if he’d just fessed up properly in the first place.

zokes
    Free Member

Yup, I retract my sympathy. Quite literally a cheating, lying scumbag. Warner gets “house” by being a cheating, lying and manipulative scumbag.

All three banned from any domestic cricket beyond club level. I strongly suspect that if they try to subvert that punishment by playing first class matches overseas, the already slim chance they have of ever being able to wear that sodding floppy green headgear will completely evaporate.

simondbarnes

I think the bans are fair. Amazed Lehmann is still there though.

zokes
    Free Member

All reports over here indicate he was trying to find out “what the **** is going on”. I accept he’s culpable for the team culture that led to this situation, but I can also accept that he had no direct knowledge of Warner’s actions

theotherjonv

It seems kind of tough on Smith – he’s not instantly dislikable in the way Warner is

I know what you mean, it’s taken years of polishing for my hatred of Smith to reach the level I have for him. And I don’t know why, he is a brilliant player, and I can’t put my finger on any specific incident that brings it to the level, but he is absolutely the most hate for any sportsman I can muster (so I’m delighted that he hopefully will never play the game seriously again)

Freester

Change of subject slightly. Went to see ‘dear old thing’ Blowers talk last night. His ’78 Retired’ tour to plug his book.

Really nice evening. Very interesting. He did two 50 min stints with a 20 minute break. He then came out to the foyer to sign anything you asked and chat away to the punters for as long as it took. Pretty impressive for a man of 78 to do 30+ dates like that pretty much in succession.

The first half was a retrospective of early TMS days, Brian Johnson, John Arlott etc. The famous ‘leg over’ commentary, streakers etc. The second half was more about Blowers more recent career.

Nice evening. Worth going if you have a venue near you that hasn’t sold out!

lunge

Interesting reading Aussie social media about the bans. Consensus seems to be:

Smith – Very harsh, good guy, he’ll be back after a year playing grade level.

Bancroft – Touch harsh but given he was the one caught then perhaps not unreasonable.

Warner – Double it. The guy is a bully and should never play again.

Lehmann – How the heck has he got away with this? Get him out.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Lehmann stepping down, apparently.

zokes
    Free Member

That’s pretty much the long and short of it, Lunge. A spot of contrition and genuine remorse goes a long way towards forgiveness. Wouldn’t surprise me if he’s captain again two years to the day if he can keep his form.

Warner on the other hand. He’s had it unless something spectacular happens.

Bancroft wasn’t all that anyway. Suspect if an opening slot pops up he may make a reappearance. He’s not instantly dislikable, just pretty dense.

zokes
    Free Member

Ah, and boof has fallen on his sword. Yeah. Not sure I’ll miss him.

One tragedy of this is that it’s made Clarke think he’s remotely relevant 😂

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

glad Lehmann has gone. Seemed strange to think how Australia could make it right in the eyes of cricket fans with him still in charge. A wise move. Plus he is a tw*t

@freester
    . Sounds like the same show as when I saw him at  Edinburgh Fringe  5 years ago. Cant blame him for repeating those classics though!

aracer
    Free Member

zokes wrote:

That’s pretty much the long and short of it, Lunge. A spot of contrition and genuine remorse goes a long way towards forgiveness. Wouldn’t surprise me if he’s captain again two years to the day if he can keep his form.

I guess it’s possible, but it depends on there not being somebody else who’s stepped into the gap and done a good job of it. The interesting more immediate question is whether he can be selected for the World Cup and Ashes next year despite not having played any cricket apart from club cricket – I presume he will just be picked on the basis of past form as the batting suddenly looks a bit bare with him and Warner gone. Hardly ideal for him to have to come here to try and regain form, where the crowds won’t give him any mercy at all!

In the same way Bancroft has the problem that somebody else might have made the spot his own – though with 2 openers spots now up for grabs there’s a good chance that they won’t both be taken and he does at least have the opportunity to play the second half of the domestic season.

I guess nobody’s discussing Warner’s chances of playing for Australia again?

aracer
    Free Member

…actually I suppose I’m forgetting that the IPL presumably comes after the end of the ban and before the WC – will Smith get bought for that next year?

theotherjonv

Lehmann gone – good. He gave up any hope when he started whining about people being nasty to his team after his previous form about ‘sending Broad home in tears’

In other matters:

@freester. Sounds like the same show as when I saw him at  Edinburgh Fringe  5 years ago. Cant blame him for repeating those classics though!

Can’t remember who the comedian is / was but had a very good section about every time he tours the crowd get restless if he does ‘old’ material; in some cases people even go and see him a couple of times on the same tour and then moan that he hasn’t come up with 90 minutes of brand new material for each date of the tour rather than just each tour!

Whereas if you go to see a band and all they play is new stuff, they get moaned at and told to do the old favourites!

slackalice
    Free Member

I’m pleased Lehmann is off too, he has presided over the whole team culture and more than likely instigated and encouraged the more aggressive attitude and behaviour that we have all witnessed over the last couple of years.

Id still like to see their senior bowlers being taken to task, although if they are delusional enough to think they had just got some magical gift, like Billy’s Boots, then perhaps that’s punishment enough?!

ransos
    Free Member

Vince recalled. Any guesses on how he will get out?

slackalice
    Free Member

I’ll go for quickly. Majestic cover drive, yet hopelessly mistimed and it’s snaffled by 3rd slip.

Especially as Cook is unfortunately back in the pavilion with under 5 overs played.

ransos
    Free Member

Lbw this time, for a bit of variety. I note that Woakes has more test 50s…

frankconway

17-4! 10 overs.

3 for broad; 1 for anderson; wood must be fancying this – if he gets a chance.

zokes
    Free Member

And back to the Aussies temporarily: David Warner has just done his sorry/not sorry. All just seems a little apologetic for being caught. Also interesting that the question of “who else knew?” still isn’t going away.

frankconway

Zokes – that was hugely unconvincing.

Reporters limited to one question each; Warner blubbing was unconvincing; did not answer any question directly – just followed the media training instructions…..loud deep breaths, blub, sound contrite, apologise to everyone…..wife, children, every australian living or dead, south africa, nelson mandela and repeat ad nauseam.

A thoroughly unconvincing performance and unbelievable in the sense that I cannot believe it – nor will anyone else when they hear it.

zokes
    Free Member

Yup, that pretty much echoes the first comment made when news24 cut back to the studio here. Nobody is buying it.

frankconway

So where will the first crack appear? Can’t imagine the Aussie media letting go easily so Bancroft, Smith & Warner can expect to be door-stepped and pushed at every opportunity. I would never have tipped Warner as someone who would cry in public – unless it was in his long arm interest; cynical? Nah not me Bruce……..

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

I managed to catch Bairstow making his century last night. What a lovely looking ground they are playing at. Anyone been?

Great Test match this. Trying to keep reminding myself of what a brilliant sport it is in light of all of the cheating Aussie stuff.

zokes
    Free Member

Re: Warner; the press aren’t letting up on him.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/cricket/david-warner-sorry-but-self-interested-says-body-language-expert-20180331-p4z776.html

I think the only reason he’s not spilled the beans is his own self-interest in the hope that he might play for Australia again (or at least earn megabucks in the IPL).

Although whilst the press are still digging into him, it’s worth noting that the shallow locals have now returned to their one-eyedness, judging by the defensive nature of the Facebook comments on that article.

salsaboy

Feeling rather chuffed today, Victor read my tweet put last night. its the little things in life sometimes.

dannyh
    Free Member

David Warner discovers that acting like a **** for years leads to him not having many mates. Ahhhh, bless. Tough titty.

Give it a few days and his agent will try to get the ‘just an honest, but easily led, guy from the wrong side of the tracks’ line in again.

Truth is, he’s such a monumental bellend that no one wants to play in a team with him and are more than willing to let him be the one that gets pushed off the end of the plank.

Or maybe his agent just told him he’d better get his crying boots on. Smith and Lehmann both had a blub-a-thon, so Warner had to follow suit or he’d look bad. Pretty undignified stuff for a nation that prides itself on its fortitude.

aracer
    Free Member

I’m thinking he might have been better off leaving out the bit about playing for his country again, or at least to have remembered to switch off the tears for that bit – it’s hard to avoid thinking that’s what he cares about most (I’ll allow that he also cares about his family, so it’s not quite the only thing).

zokes
    Free Member

It goes on…. https://www.smh.com.au/sport/cricket/more-turmoil-likely-as-banished-trio-consider-legal-options-20180331-p4z78k.html

I can’t imagine CA being too thrilled about the prospect of “who knew what when” being discussed publicly under oath!

zokes
    Free Member

I have to say I’m developing a bit of respect for Smith. Maybe I’m going native down here, or perhaps it’s just refreshing to see a high profile public figure accept responsibility for their actions, which sadly is s very rare act these days.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/cricket/smith-and-bancroft-accept-bans-for-ball-tampering-crisis-20180404-p4z7qv.html

mikewsmith
    Free Member

He could easily have wriggled out and gone down the appeal route and taken the whole lot down with him. He comes out of this better than DL who seemed to miss that being the boss meant not knowing was as bad as knowing. Warner has been quiet, his age is a bigger factor there – the years to earn after his ban are reduced and he is the most tainted of the lot. He will almost certainly not be making it into commentary or endorsements.

Junkyard
    Free Member

You two have gone native. Not sure what you are respecting or admiring here. he is doing what he has been advised  to do [ and possibly agreed behind doors] to make sure he returns to the fold at a later date. Its just paying the long game

Seems like everyone is happy to burn Warner in the process. but that  is just because of the type of person he is. Not even sure the Aussies loved him

zokes
    Free Member

Warner has been quiet

Reportedly he’s been lawyering up. Can’t see that getting him far now Smith and Bancroft have set the president that by accepting their sanction they believe it fair punishment. Which is a shame 😂

Viewing 40 posts - 2,281 through 2,320 (of 6,928 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.