Viewing 40 posts - 6,121 through 6,160 (of 6,928 total)
  • My dear old things, it's STW TMS!
  • drlex
    Free Member

@dander – on that note, the partnership is a welcome boost for Yorkshire cricket’s reputation, as the YCCC have also admitted to a charge of spoliation in the racism investigation.

dander

I would say it’s almost certain England will be bundled out for under 400!

theotherjonv

good game in prospect in the WT20WC…. chasing 160-odd and going at 10 an over in the first 5 only to lose two in 3 balls (second to a catch that would grace any game), it’s a long way from a foregone conclusion.

theotherjonv

28 to win from 18 balls

Klunk
    Free Member

Jimmy Jimmy!

dander

Hmmm, this isn’t going to last long.

Klunk
    Free Member

and another, though a weak waft that….

Klunk
    Free Member

England enforce the follow on after a spirited tail wag from NZ

simondbarnes

Some good striking by Southee to get him onto the most sixes in test cricket leaderboard 🙂

vazaha

Another nail in the coffin that is the ‘follow on’ decision.

Get back in, make them pay.

Houns

Anyone see the Spain v Isle of Man T20 score?!

theotherjonv

It was always going to be a challenge to defend that low total but you can’t afford to bowl no balls and allow free hits.

mboy
    Free Member

Anyone see the Spain v Isle of Man T20 score?!

Wow! That’s a short enough innings to be featured on QoS in the “what happened next” round! 🤯

martinhutch

Makes you wonder if the IoM team had misread the flyer and turned up in full leathers and crash helmet.

johndoh
    Free Member

Hmmm… not going to plan right now.

Klunk
    Free Member

NZ down to 3 fulltime bowlers

Klunk
    Free Member

though Stokes is doing a good impression of long john silver

Klunk
    Free Member

very much in the balance @ lunch.

dantsw13

Yep, one thing you can say about England, they always put you through it.

On the Brook run out, why was Root calling the run? Def Brooks call. I’d be having a word with my colts if they did that!

spacemonkey

Well, I was planning on staying up to see Stokes and Root bring it home, but both have fallen whilst hooking Wagner in a couple of overs and that might be game over. I think both players could have left those shots alone, but hey, I’m not the one in the middle.

Maybe Foakes and the Nighthawk can still deliver…

vazaha

Absolutely criminal that this isn’t actually on TMS – TalkSport my arse.

Jack Leach will anchor Foakes to bring it home – probably – but it needn’t have been this way. I think we can all agree that the ‘follow on’ is, almost without exception, the wrong thing to do?

spacemonkey

Jeez, Foakes gone with 7 runs needed. In comes Anderson…

vazaha

Be heroic if Anderson gets us over the line…

vazaha

Balls

spacemonkey

Kinell. Anderson nicks it and NZ win by 1 run, having had the umpire not give a wide for the previous ball.

Today’s conclusion has brought an astonishing end to a crazy 5 days. Plenty for Team Eng to digest as preparation for the Ashes.

Anyway, it’s 3:15am and I’m off for some z’s.

vazaha

Give the bowlers a rest, put another 250-300 on the board. Declare.

Get them chasing 450-500, day and a half, with a rested 40-year-old fast bowler.

Stupid decision to follow on, but good entertainment.

vazaha

Stupid also to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory – losing can become just as easy an habit.

ads678

Yeah lost that on the run out, but Brooke should have said no. Can’t really blame anyone for a 1 run defeat though, but Crawley and Pope need to do more.

ransos
    Free Member

They’ll lose plenty more playing the way they do, but they’re delivering on their promise to entertain.

martinhutch

We’ve been on the right side of those close finishes a few times. Well played NZ, follow-on victories are to be savoured.

johndoh
    Free Member

I know it’s ‘only’ an ODI, but crikey it’s not going well for Bangladesh.

drlex
    Free Member

Pleased for Roy to have a decent innings, but Sam Curran is a gem.

spacemonkey

but Crawley and Pope need to do more

I think patience is wearing thin on Crawley and reckon the Aussies will trouble him if he remains in the team this summer. Pope I like and reckon he’ll keep his place.

Pleased for Roy to have a decent innings, but Sam Curran is a gem.

Roy really is the epitome of a hot and cold opener. He’s put ENG well on top today, but BAN are trying to make a game of it after those 3 early wickets. Still reckon it’ll be over within 40-45 overs.

johndoh
    Free Member

BAN are trying to make a game of it after those 3 early wickets.

Yeah, it’s neck-and-neck on the worm right now.

Klunk
    Free Member
    Klunk
    Free Member
    pk13

He is not going to make the ashes is he I honestly think they have burnt him out too young too fast.
    Only took two wickets in the IPL

Klunk
    Free Member

out for the summer and Bairstow recall

England squad:
    Ben Stokes (Durham captain)
    James Anderson (Lancashire)
    Jonny Bairstow (Yorkshire)
    Stuart Broad (Nottinghamshire)
    Harry Brook (Yorkshire)
    Zak Crawley (Kent)
    Ben Duckett (Nottinghamshire)
    Dan Lawrence (Essex)
    Jack Leach (Somerset)
    Ollie Pope (Surrey)
    Matthew Potts (Durham)
    Ollie Robinson (Sussex)
    Joe Root (Yorkshire)
    Chris Woakes (Warwickshire)
    Mark Wood (Durham).

lunge

You have to feel for Foakes. Averages 35 in his last few tests, best gloves in the country, changed his game to fit with BazBall and loses his place anyway.
    And what the heck has Crawley done to stay in the team?

convert

No Sam Curran I see.

Oddly, despite what he does for the team in terms of captaincy and generally how brilliant he is, Stokes is beginning to feel like a bit of a hole in the line up. He doesn’t seem to be relied upon to be able to bowl (and then he out of the blue bowls a stupid long shift). He really needs to be in the team as a pure batsman with the odd over as a nice surprise. Since 2021 he’s scored 1200 odd runs in 44 innings, 6 halfs and a couple of full century and a sub 30 average – so not all that as a pure batsman. You really have to hope the knee is better and he can do his share of the bowling. England always feel a better balanced side with a fast medium or spin bowler who has the potential for a century too. Woakes will really need to step up this summer and be a first choice pick on form if Stokes is there as a bit part bowler at best.

And on the injury front – such a shame about Archer. Clearly not been managed well. But then you look at what’s left – a 37 year old and a 41 year old (by the summer) and a Woods who has been a walking injury time bomb his whole career. It could go very wrong very fast in the fast bowling department.

Viewing 40 posts - 6,121 through 6,160 (of 6,928 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.