Viewing 40 posts - 5,321 through 5,360 (of 6,928 total)
  • My dear old things, it's STW TMS!
  • theotherjonv

SA could still top us if they beat us and overhaul our NRR, chasing 90-odd vs Bangladesh could go some way but they’re not pushing on so far

dantsw13

Livingstone has only faced 2 balls in the tournament so far. At least he is fresh from the IPL.

drlex
    Free Member

Yet his IPL record in the UAE-based leg was pretty poor – one score of 25 followed by four single-digit scores. Hopefully some time in the nets if he’s not getting match time.

convert

Pretty impressive effort from Scotland there to get within 16 of NZ.

drlex
    Free Member

Yes- better showing than their two previous matches. Showed good intent.
    Now, can Rashid tie up the Indian batters and close in on second place?

(I’m keeping off the YCC and ECB topic, which probably deserves its own thread. Even got a mention on R3 news this morning.)

grum
    Free Member

No one watching the semi-final? Nicely poised at the moment I would say.

Houns

I’m tuned in, heart in mouth as I type with Mo skying that one

johndoh
    Free Member

Not quite sure how this is going to go – we haven’t quite managed to bang away the runs in the last few overs that we’d surely have expected to do. We really have to try for 15+ off each of these last two overs….

theotherjonv

NZ death bowlers are pretty decent – good contest this.

lunge

This will be right, very tight.

johndoh
    Free Member

Hmm, not really firing here.

johndoh
    Free Member

NZ are either going to canter home in 16 or so overs or be all out for 80 or so. I can’t quite decide.

spacemonkey

2 big hitters back in the hutch!

Klunk
    Free Member

tense stuff 🙁

grum
    Free Member

Brilliant from Livingstone.

Shot Neesham! Not done yet.

johndoh
    Free Member

🙁 NZ ahead on the worm

grum
    Free Member

Oh Chris Jordan….. 🙁

tjagain

Ooft – tight game. the first cricket match I have been able to follow this year ( Julie was a big fan) but I am enjoying it

grum
    Free Member

Neesham gone makes it pretty even again maybe slightly favouring NZ still. Eek

theotherjonv

f************************k

grum
    Free Member

Game over I reckon. Oh well. NZ are a fine team to lose to and it’s been a good contest.

dantsw13

For a team that rebranded themselves on fearless cricket, today England were way too conservative with the bat.

As for that Jordan over………..

theotherjonv

Why’s it got to turn to blame? They scored 166, NZ got them in a great game that ebbed and flowed. The TMS statman said it’s the first time all tournament anyone’s chased 160+ in 9 attempts. Sure, 10 more would have been interesting, if Bairstow and Livingstone had pulled off the relay or Livingstone got to the next skier. Jordan’s over looked bad but it still takes immense skill to hit it for 20+

Just be gracious that a better team on the day got the upper hand. Just as Bangers and Eoin did in the post match interviews.

dantsw13

It’s not blame, just comments. – NZ won because they risked it. We tried to play percentages – get to a score we wanted to defend.

The England white ball revolution started by looking at Brendan McCullums NZ side and playing no fear cricket. Today I don’t feel we batted that way.

As for the Jordan over – it really was dreadful. At a crucial stage, he bowled them exactly the balls they needed to have a go at.

It was a great game, and the term who played better won it. Hopefully Pakistan play them in the final, because they’ve played the best cricket to watch so far.

WillH

A good one from the stats nerds at ESPN CricInfo – prior to this game the highest successful chase in the last four overs of a T20I was 56.

After 16 overs NZ needed 57 and they got it with an over to spare…

Great to watch as an a Englishman with NZ citizenship 😀

vinnyeh

Really didn’t think we (NZ) had much hope going into this- batting takes time to get going and is short on lineup, bowling tends to tie down run rate, rather than take wickets.

In my opinion a big takeaway for England should be that there’s a management/strategic problem- NZ have effectively shown that there is no need to neglect Test cricket to concentrate on the white ball formats.

dantsw13

That’s interesting Vinny – we have definitely done that. Test match cricket has definitely changed in recent years with all the short format matches they play. Very few players able to play the “Boycott” role in world cricket.

kennyp
    Free Member

Test match cricket has definitely changed in recent years with all the short format matches they play. Very few players able to play the “Boycott” role in world cricket.

I didn’t have any stats to back this up, but seems to me that test matches are generally not lasting as long as they used to. Maybe modern players don’t have the patience to do the Boycott role if they are increasingly used to the “whack it all over the ground and be back in the changing room for tea and buns” style of white ball cricket.

Not necessarily a bad thing either (and I say that as someone who has little time for the T20 format). The test cricket I’ve watched recently has often been quite exciting.

johndoh
    Free Member

The Pakistan v Australia game has just got interesting 🙂

vinnyeh

Wow, was that a game losing error?

dantsw13

good finish coming…

lunge

Well then, who had Australia down to win it?!?!

theotherjonv

There’s a few big names and profile players and ex-players looking a bit uneasy this evening.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2021/nov/16/azeem-rafiq-cricket-racism-yorkshire-dcms-select-committee

drlex
    Free Member

Hard to see how YCC can reform itself when its largest creditor, the Graves Trust, holds so much sway over its Board. I don’t envy Lord Patel’s task.

mefty
    Free Member

Hard to see how YCC can reform itself when its largest creditor, the Graves Trust, holds so much sway over its Board. I don’t envy Lord Patel’s task.

Now it has blow up so badly the Trustees would be exposing themselves to serious financial risk if they stand in the way of reform because Yorkshire isn’t financially viable if it loses all its sponsors and major matches. If it ain’t viable then the loan goes bad and the trustees are potentially on the hook.

lister

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/59343005

Looks like both teams will be distracted by off the field stuff in the run up to the 8th!

lunge

The pretence of nice-guy Paine is slowly slipping, as someone else said, he’s just Matt Wade with a nice haircut.
    And if he’s not skipper I’m not sure he’ll be picked in the team, there are other ‘keepers playing better and without injury niggles.

drlex
    Free Member

Yup – danger of getting a replacement who can score runs. Interesting that his actions didn’t break the CA code of conduct. Perhaps based on YCC’s? 😉

ransos
    Free Member

Interesting that his actions didn’t break the CA code of conduct.

Because it was between two consenting adults? He certainly has to answer to his wife, but I’m not sure it has much to do with his employer.

grum
    Free Member

Much as I hate to defend an Aussie I’m not sure he’s done that much wrong apart from to his wife. Seems like this other woman was quite happily playing along and I don’t really see a justification for publishing the texts.

Viewing 40 posts - 5,321 through 5,360 (of 6,928 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.