• This topic has 5,293 replies, 134 voices, and was last updated 4 days ago by leegee.
Viewing 40 posts - 5,001 through 5,040 (of 5,294 total)
  • My dear old things, it's STW TMS!
  • Premier Icon lunge

No spinner for England, but the cloud cover does suggest some swing.

Premier Icon dannyh

No spinner for England

The modern theory is that spinners have to be able to at least hold a bat unless you have 1 or 2 quality seam-bowling allrounders. They can’t afford Leach at the moment with the length of the tail and the shakiness at the top of the order. I don’t necessarily agree but some stats somewhere probably back it up.

We can’t go back to the days of 1999 when (I think) there was genuine potential for England’s 8-11 being Caddick > Mullaly > Tufnell > Giddins.

A real ‘Union Tail’ – one out, all out.

Premier Icon Klunk
    Free Member

calypso collapso

Premier Icon grum

Crawley’s dismissal was horrible, just seen the replay.

Premier Icon Klunk
    Free Member

giving catching practice

Premier Icon lunge

Seriously long tail, irrelevant of if it#s Leach or not. Wood at 8 is at least a place to high.

Premier Icon lunge

This is not good, it’s like watching England in the 90’s. Poor work.

Premier Icon dannyh

Burns gone – England now in the shit. Bracey and Lawrence in together at ‘only’ five down…. with Wood in next.

😳

Premier Icon Houns

Wood is in now :0/

Mind I’ve been wanting to see Anderson and Broad bowl on this today

Edit

Wrong, it’s Stone

Premier Icon dannyh

And Bracey has bagged another blob. And a golden one at that. Chasing a wide one…

FFS.

Premier Icon lunge

Need these 2 to stay in as I’m there tomorrow and want to see Broad batting. Dig in fellas.

Premier Icon dannyh

As a wise old bowler once said to me:

“Never underestimate the the ability of a batsman to get himself out”.

I.e. if you sense that a bloke is pacing around, bristling or looking like they need to feel bat on ball then don’t be afraid to dangle the hook with a half volley (I was a left armer so running a straight half volley across a new right hander was a favourite trick – once got an oppo ‘gun’ batsman – who’d hit us for 180 in the first half of the season – first ball with an angled half volley – I knew he’d have a dart at it and the most it would cost was 4 runs).

Tradecraft can make up for all sorts of technical shortcomings!

Premier Icon Houns

Right, come on Jimmy, get a 6 fer and overtake Kumble to become the 3rd highest wicket taker of all time

Premier Icon lunge

Can confirm that, despite the cricket being pretty average, Edgbaston is buzzing.

Premier Icon dickyhepburn
    Free Member

So after another fabulous start to their 2nd innings, what do we think England will be on at the close of day 3?

68-4 is my bet

Premier Icon grum

5 down 🙁

Premier Icon Klunk
    Free Member

dear god we’re dreadful

Premier Icon Houns

Will we even get the 14 needed to get ahead?!

Premier Icon shortbread_fanylion

Jesus dickyhepburn, you’re a glass half full kinda guy, right?!

Premier Icon dannyh

England deserve this after the point blank refusal to even have a go last game.

We have only two world class players (Root and Anderson) in this side, a pretty good one (Broad) and a reasonable one (Burns). Other than that pretty average. You have to feel for Bracey. No way he was ever going to get a decent run in the team unless he made himself impossible to drop by scoring back-to-back hundreds and keeping like Adam Gilchrist. Unfortunately he has batted like Stevie Wonder and kept wicket like Andrea Bocelli.

Stone is a bit of an early Broad rebooted. Wood has been ok but he’s a luxury and needs other reliable bowlers around him to be fully effective. Broad is looking older than Anderson.

The other batsmen (Crawley, Pope, Sibley, Lawrence) aren’t up to it. Of that four, only Pope actually looks a prospect.

It’s the succession that is most worrying. Take Anderson and Broad out of the team and we’re in the same class as West Indies, Sri Lanka and Bangladesh.

🤦‍♂️

Premier Icon boriselbrus

Wood a luxury? From today’s scorecard he’s our best batsman plus he can bowl a bit!

Today was as bad as England have been for a while and I have no idea why Buttler, Woakes, Curran and Moeen are apparently too tired to play for England but are fine to play for their counties? Plus no full time spinner? Plus choosing to bat first in humid cloudy conditions?

I’m by no means an expert, but the decision making is utterly baffling.

Premier Icon dannyh

Wood a luxury?

Yes. He’s an expensive but wicket-taking bowler who shouldn’t be used in long spells. As such he can’t (and shouldn’t) be expected to bowl a ‘fair share’ of the overs. Don’t get me wrong, I love bowlers with the 90+ x-factor and most captains would love to have one to carry around like a six shooter, but you need three other reliable seamers ideally.

Stokes is the key to so much. A world class allrounder is (obviously) two players in one. If Stokes had been available for this game, Leach would probably have played.

We also cannot overlook the fact that this NZ side isn’t even their full first choice. They also have a longer tail than a spider monkey, but we never got that far into them while it still mattered. Fielding like a village second XI didn’t help either.

Premier Icon dannyh

Plus choosing to bat first in humid cloudy conditions?

The wicket was, pretty much, a road. Under normal circumstances a captain would never win the toss and bowl first on that track whatever the overhead conditions.

Premier Icon lunge

Feels to me like the bowling is OK, the batting is clearly the issue.
    Burns – useable, but no more than that. I’d like another option here but don’t see one
    Sibley – not at the right level. I’d bring someone like Sam Robson in as it’s too early for Haseeb Hameed.
    Crawley – drop him. He’ll come back, but needs some time away. Is Bairstow still on option? Dawid Malan maybe? Or even give Bracey another chance up the order without the gloves.
    Root – he stays, though I’m still not convinced about his captaincy.
    Pope – flatters once again, looks great 20 runs and then falls. No idea what to do with him, promote him to 3 maybe?
    Lawrence – I think he deserves to keep his place, he has potential for me. If Stokes come in then that means Pope goes.
    Bracey – if he stays he has to lose the gloves and go up the order. This test was too early for him to do both and it showed. Buttler will come in, you could debate that Foakes should come in.
    Wood – stays around, expensive with the ball but I like him. Not sure he plays every game though.
    Stone/Robinson – both have merits and deserve another chance.
    Broad – look jaded to me, in England he stays, but away from home? Less sure.
    Anderson – stays as long as he wants to, but I wonder how much longer he’ll want to stay and damage his legacy.
    Leech – play him, please.

Premier Icon boriselbrus

Yeah I agree with you re Wood. I was just being a bit tongue in cheek about him being England’s best batter today.

Do you think Silverwood and Root think that Root is a far better spinner than he actually is after the India series? Sure he took a few wickets in India in very helpful conditions but he’s nowhere near good enough to do a proper spinners job in England.

The thing that worries me about Bracey is he looked scared. If he’s scared of NZ at Edgbaston, what’s he going to do at the Gabba facing Hazelwood and Cummins?

Premier Icon dickyhepburn
    Free Member

Jesus dickyhepburn, you’re a glass half full kinda guy, right?!

😂😂Shortbread my first guess was 122-8 but my son assured me they won’t be that bad. Boycs mum and a stick’o’rhubarb to open 👍

Premier Icon dannyh

The thing that worries me about Bracey is he looked scared. If he’s scared of NZ at Edgbaston, what’s he going to do at the Gabba facing Hazelwood and Cummins?

Probably not so much ‘scared’ as not seeing any way of getting started scoring and questioning his technique then making bad choices as a result. It doesn’t make much differences, though, facing the world’s premier proper quick bowlers on the Gabbatoir…

I played with some decent young county level players when I was 17-20. One of them played for Cambridge University against Glenn McGrath when he was at Worcester. He lasted a while then nicked off. He then said he went to bat in the nets next morning and felt like he didn’t know which end of the bat to hold, he’d been turned inside out so comprehensively.

Premier Icon Tom-B
    Free Member

😳

You couldn’t make this up!

Premier Icon Klunk
    Free Member

India next…. it’s only going to get worse.

Premier Icon dannyh

India next…. it’s only going to get worse.

Not necessarily. India are a shadow of their normal selves in English conditions. England may well flatter to deceive again.

Premier Icon Klunk
    Free Member

so your moneys on NZ @ the rosebowl then ?

Premier Icon ransos
    Free Member

Pope – flatters once again, looks great 20 runs and then falls. No idea what to do with him, promote him to 3 maybe?

Replace him with Vincent. He’ll get 35 great runs before nicking off.

Premier Icon Houns

This Ind v NZ final day is a good ‘un

Premier Icon dantsw13
    Free Member

Indeed. The “spare day” in tests is a good idea.

Premier Icon boriselbrus

Really pleased to see NZ win. Classy team who play the game in the right way and especially deserved after the 2019 WC.

Premier Icon Houns

Who’s tuned in to BBC2 for this evenings T20?

Premier Icon lunge

A Covid breakout in the England bubble means a completely new team for the one dayers.
    It’ll be very interesting to see who gets a call up.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/57732043

Premier Icon dannyh

It’ll be very interesting to see who gets a call up.

Might start turning my arm over in the kitchen just in case…

Premier Icon Houns

Great start for England’s 3rd team

Premier Icon Houns

Anyone tuned in for the Hundred?

Viewing 40 posts - 5,001 through 5,040 (of 5,294 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.