Viewing 40 posts - 4,881 through 4,920 (of 6,928 total)
  • My dear old things, it's STW TMS!
  • Klunk
    Free Member

9-47 today

lunge

Bairstow won’t play test cricket again, a pair and he was already borderline.

lunge

Ridiculous shot, terrible review, 3 down. A lot on Stokes and Root now and the former hasn’t been in great nick.

dantsw13

To be fair to Stokes he hasn’t played a lot.

twistedpencil

Pray for rain – we’re winning 🙂

martinhutch

Innings defeat avoided = success

spacemonkey

Stokes switching to ODI mode

Klunk
    Free Member

when every other ball has your name on it it’s probably a good strategy

martinhutch

Stokes switching to ODI mode

20/20 mode might be even better.

Klunk
    Free Member

lucky lucky boy

spacemonkey

20/20 mode might be even better.

Steady on old bean.

theotherjonv

Revised my opinion already! Bloody edit button disappeared after 15mins.

15 mins is an eternity when measured against the speed of an England batting collapse.

Seriously, this is farcical. He’s a good part-timer but that’s what Root is with the ball and for him to take 5-8 before lunch on the second day against the tail yes but still a tail that made a ton last time out and who are brought up on spinning decks, does no good at all for cricket.

It’s supposed to be a contest between bat and ball. 25 wickets down now and 4 batsman have managed to get into the 20’s.

Klunk
    Free Member

Tuffers is channeling Boycott

spacemonkey

66/6 What the Devil is going on?

tjagain

Most of the wickets have been to balls that go straight on tho have they not?

twistedpencil

66-6 we need an excited puppy now to get that tail wagging!

Come on the rain 🙂

martinhutch

So how many day two results have we had in test cricket?

lister

I went for a bike ride this morning. Just getting my lunch and suddenly remembered the cricket was on.
    Have I missed much? 😂

kennyp
    Free Member

Most of the wickets have been to balls that go straight on tho have they not?

I was thinking that too. They seem to be playing against spin that isn’t spinning. Not sure if it’s brilliant bowling or the pitch.

theotherjonv

plenty are, plenty aren’t. Natural variation is the term used.

It’s not a case of spinning the ball or not; some spin bowlers can (or claim they can) spin every delivery but  ‘control’ whether the seam is in a vertical plane where it will land on the seam and bite and bounce as a consequence, or with a change of wrist angle send it down with the seam in a horizontal plane so it lands like a flying saucer on the smooth(er) leather part and then not grip but skid on.

Sceptics would say if they can’t tell whether it’ll turn or not, how TF does the batter, so you just gamble and allow for the turn that they’re trying to get. And get it wrong sometimes.

A 4.5 session pitch should not be turning enough for Root to take 5-8

theotherjonv

If you’re watching C4 coverage – I am Alastair Cook and I claim my own £5

(I wish I was…. man crush!)

lunge

Root and Leach to open the bowling then?

kennyp
    Free Member

Thanks for the explanation jonv.

dannyh
    Free Member

The spin vs skid above has an analogy in the ‘wobble-seam’ that Broad and Anderson use sometimes. It introduces an element of natural/random variation that the bowler can’t predict, so nor can the batsman. Half a bat’s width is often all the movement you need.

Apparently Shaun Pollock could naturally cant the seam a few degrees over from the vertical and thus ‘seam’ the ball one way or the other intentionally. Wobble seam achieves similar, but much easier.

Traditionally finger spinners had an ‘arm ball’ that was effectively a swing delivery pushed off of the index finger. But it is relatively easy to spot if you’re watching the ball closely. A better disguised variation is what jon describes above – just pushing the ball out without quite as much over spin means it might pitch on the flat part of the ball and skid.

The finger spinners who had the best arm balls tended to be the ones who got very side on and put a lot of ‘body’ into their action (Robert Croft, John Emburey, Tim May). Spinners like Ashwin and Swann ‘rip’ the ball harder with a front on action, meaning the ‘skidder’ is a better option than an arm ball.

grum
    Free Member

Well that was disappointing. India better again but the pitch not good enough really. Lots of Indian fans feel similarly according to a chat group I’m in.

Klunk
    Free Member

oh dear 155-5

nickjb
    Free Member

It was 30-3 when I first looked so that’s actually pretty good.

nickjb
    Free Member

Oops

martinhutch

Commentators’ curse on the BBC live update. Well, their fault for publishing a comment saying how good Pope was looking. 🙂

grum
    Free Member

Urgh looking like another thrashing already..

lunge

I think this is quite an interesting morning.
    Get over 200, certainly over 220 and I think England won’t be unhappy, it’ll be quite well poised.
    This may now be ambitious…

spacemonkey

So, is this going to be fifth(?) successive <200 innings from Eng?

grum
    Free Member

Nope! Small victories…

martinhutch

Oh well. And they say it’s a decent batting pitch. The fact that four English batsmen got in, before getting out, supports this.

lunge

Small positives, I thought Lawrence and Pope batted well today, well, bar the shot Lawrence got out too anyway.

grum
    Free Member

Anderson looking good, Gill out for a duck!

Lawrence looked really good though it was a bad way to get out. Pope was unlucky.

Klunk
    Free Member

Anderson 1 for 0 off 5

grum
    Free Member

Good fightback by England this. 135/5

Anderson has been superb and Stokes is looking much better too. Yet another duck for Kohli!

lunge

This isn’t as bad as I thought it was going to be!

grum
    Free Member

Need to break this partnership, ideally by getting Pant. He was basically out but just about got away with it on DRS

Viewing 40 posts - 4,881 through 4,920 (of 6,928 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.