• This topic has 4,950 replies, 129 voices, and was last updated 1 month ago by lunge.
Viewing 40 posts - 4,881 through 4,920 (of 4,939 total)
  • My dear old things, it's STW TMS!
  • Premier Icon Klunk
    Free Member

Tuffers is channeling Boycott

Premier Icon spacemonkey
    Free Member

66/6 What the Devil is going on?

Premier Icon tjagain

Most of the wickets have been to balls that go straight on tho have they not?

Premier Icon twistedpencil

66-6 we need an excited puppy now to get that tail wagging!

Come on the rain 🙂

Premier Icon martinhutch

So how many day two results have we had in test cricket?

Premier Icon lister

I went for a bike ride this morning. Just getting my lunch and suddenly remembered the cricket was on.
    Have I missed much? 😂

Premier Icon kennyp

Most of the wickets have been to balls that go straight on tho have they not?

I was thinking that too. They seem to be playing against spin that isn’t spinning. Not sure if it’s brilliant bowling or the pitch.

Premier Icon theotherjonv

plenty are, plenty aren’t. Natural variation is the term used.

It’s not a case of spinning the ball or not; some spin bowlers can (or claim they can) spin every delivery but  ‘control’ whether the seam is in a vertical plane where it will land on the seam and bite and bounce as a consequence, or with a change of wrist angle send it down with the seam in a horizontal plane so it lands like a flying saucer on the smooth(er) leather part and then not grip but skid on.

Sceptics would say if they can’t tell whether it’ll turn or not, how TF does the batter, so you just gamble and allow for the turn that they’re trying to get. And get it wrong sometimes.

A 4.5 session pitch should not be turning enough for Root to take 5-8

Premier Icon theotherjonv

If you’re watching C4 coverage – I am Alastair Cook and I claim my own £5

(I wish I was…. man crush!)

Premier Icon lunge

Root and Leach to open the bowling then?

Premier Icon kennyp

Thanks for the explanation jonv.

Premier Icon dannyh

The spin vs skid above has an analogy in the ‘wobble-seam’ that Broad and Anderson use sometimes. It introduces an element of natural/random variation that the bowler can’t predict, so nor can the batsman. Half a bat’s width is often all the movement you need.

Apparently Shaun Pollock could naturally cant the seam a few degrees over from the vertical and thus ‘seam’ the ball one way or the other intentionally. Wobble seam achieves similar, but much easier.

Traditionally finger spinners had an ‘arm ball’ that was effectively a swing delivery pushed off of the index finger. But it is relatively easy to spot if you’re watching the ball closely. A better disguised variation is what jon describes above – just pushing the ball out without quite as much over spin means it might pitch on the flat part of the ball and skid.

The finger spinners who had the best arm balls tended to be the ones who got very side on and put a lot of ‘body’ into their action (Robert Croft, John Emburey, Tim May). Spinners like Ashwin and Swann ‘rip’ the ball harder with a front on action, meaning the ‘skidder’ is a better option than an arm ball.

Premier Icon grum
    Free Member

Well that was disappointing. India better again but the pitch not good enough really. Lots of Indian fans feel similarly according to a chat group I’m in.

Premier Icon Klunk
    Free Member

oh dear 155-5

Premier Icon nickjb
    Free Member

It was 30-3 when I first looked so that’s actually pretty good.

Premier Icon nickjb
    Free Member

Oops

Premier Icon martinhutch

Commentators’ curse on the BBC live update. Well, their fault for publishing a comment saying how good Pope was looking. 🙂

Premier Icon grum
    Free Member

Urgh looking like another thrashing already..

Premier Icon lunge

I think this is quite an interesting morning.
    Get over 200, certainly over 220 and I think England won’t be unhappy, it’ll be quite well poised.
    This may now be ambitious…

Premier Icon spacemonkey
    Free Member

So, is this going to be fifth(?) successive <200 innings from Eng?

Premier Icon grum
    Free Member

Nope! Small victories…

Premier Icon martinhutch

Oh well. And they say it’s a decent batting pitch. The fact that four English batsmen got in, before getting out, supports this.

Premier Icon lunge

Small positives, I thought Lawrence and Pope batted well today, well, bar the shot Lawrence got out too anyway.

Premier Icon grum
    Free Member

Anderson looking good, Gill out for a duck!

Lawrence looked really good though it was a bad way to get out. Pope was unlucky.

Premier Icon Klunk
    Free Member

Anderson 1 for 0 off 5

Premier Icon grum
    Free Member

Good fightback by England this. 135/5

Anderson has been superb and Stokes is looking much better too. Yet another duck for Kohli!

Premier Icon lunge

This isn’t as bad as I thought it was going to be!

Premier Icon grum
    Free Member

Need to break this partnership, ideally by getting Pant. He was basically out but just about got away with it on DRS

Premier Icon Klunk
    Free Member

letting India off the hook here.

Premier Icon grum
    Free Member

Yup, the ball has gone soft and the bowlers are knackered in the heat I think. Surprised they’ve not tried Stokes or Anderson for a while though.

Premier Icon Klunk
    Free Member

Gin ‘n’ Tonic 😀

Premier Icon grum
    Free Member

Pant is winning the game for India here I feel

Premier Icon Klunk
    Free Member

flayed to all parts now

Premier Icon yetidave
    Free Member

reverse sweeping Anderson with a new ball…Pant now gone for 101.

Premier Icon kennyp

Much as I’m glad to see Pant go from an England point of view, I have to say that was a brilliant, and very entertaining, bit of batting. That reverse sweep with the new ball particularly. Very well played.

Premier Icon grum
    Free Member

Coulda woulda shoulda but frustrating that he was basically out much earlier but not enough of the ball hitting to overturn umpires call. Hey ho, India have just been better again really.

Premier Icon grum
    Free Member

🙁

Premier Icon Klunk
    Free Member

some grim reading on the batting front going to look even worse in an hours time.

Premier Icon lunge

Series over, lots of negatives but let’s look at positives if we can. If only as an antidote to Michael Vaughan’s whinging.
    Anderson is still world class in any conditions.
    Leach has developed well into a solid spinner. He’s not Ashwin but he’ll do a fine job in most of the world.
    Lawrence has real potential, he has a proper technique and I thought he had real potential.
    Stokes is still the game changer in the team.

The Ashes might be interesting…

Premier Icon tjagain

ON freesports this morning is a rather interesting last day in the Afghan / zimbabawe test.

Zim following on have made a tremendous fightback and now all results are in play. One for the connoisseurs

Viewing 40 posts - 4,881 through 4,920 (of 4,939 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.