Viewing 10 posts - 41 through 50 (of 50 total)
  • My day has just got expensive! (Mini turbo content)
  • stumpy01

So was that £1200 the total cost or with ‘goodwill’ money from Mini as well??

Glad you got it sorted, but does sound like a weak point of the lubrication circuit within this engine!

wingnuts

Had it done by my own garage. The genuine BMW turbo was £1100. They photographed each stage, documented and retained all parts. If I had more time and we didn’t need the car straight back I’d have towed it to BMW and started fighting but my own business just requires to much input at the moment. I’ve notified them and will be devoting time to them shortly. May be the wrong way to do it but I just needed the car back and done by someone I trust.

chewkw
    Free Member

I want an original Mini with Honda Vtec engine … 😥

I know my bloody insurance is going to rip me off if I were to get one because I only have 3 yrs NCB … dammit … 😡

29erKeith
    Free Member

chewkw, my brother will custom build one for you if you like http://www.scvrestoration.co.uk and his insurance is cheap as chips, because it’s a tax exempt classic you can get classic car insurance. He’s got fully comp’ insurance with all mods declared and an agreed valuation for about £300 a year 😈

chewkw
    Free Member

Thanks 29erKeith for the info. There are some nice work done there.

Not at the moment unless I strike the jackpot.

£300 insurance for a vtec Mini! 😯 I feel like a tool now with the amount I pay for my car insurance. 🙁

There are two classics that I would like to restore in future. Original Mini Cooper with vtec and VW Beetle with 1.6 VW engine/1.8 VW enigne /Porsche engine.

😀

johndoh
    Free Member

If I ever got another Mini, I’d have to get it deseamed.

toppers3933
    Free Member

Just don’t get the roof gutter deseamed. It’s monumentally hard to get ‘right’ and still looks shit. Just the 4 corners is a lot of work to get right. The A-panels have to be in A1 mint condition for a start. Seen more that look crap than I have that look good. That one in your pic looks good though.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

That yellow mini is stunning, I’ve always wanted one, just a pity I’m 6’2″ and would look like something from Mariokart in it.

toppers3933
    Free Member

I’m 6’1 and fit in mine no problem. By current standards they’re tiny so just about everyone looks daft in one.

29erKeith
    Free Member

Nobeerinthefridge, I’m 6’2″ and my brother’s 6’4″ no prob’s in a mini with new seats, I’ve got more head room in the VTech van than I have in my Passat, the seat is on the floor and back a bit with a longer steering column though, the steering wheel is quick release too else you need to be a contortionist to get in and out, but with it off and the roll cage it’s easy to get in and out and comfy to drive.

Tour right topper never de-seam a roof, just doesn’t look right and you’d never want to drive it in the rain either, it’d be awful, I recon you’s get water running down odd places and leaky doors\windows.

chewkw for the VW a Subaru flat four is the way to go, much cheaper than a Porche engine, readily available and loads of power options from 150bhp up to silly turbo power 8)

And Chewkw if you ever hit the jackpot you know where to go, he’s got another VTech mini build he’s quoting for at the moment and is also working on a 70’s beetle restoration at the moment too

shame less plug 8)

Viewing 10 posts - 41 through 50 (of 50 total)

The topic ‘My day has just got expensive! (Mini turbo content)’ is closed to new replies.