Viewing 23 posts - 41 through 63 (of 63 total)
  • My dad doesnt have a smartphone
  • You can’t read a kindle in the bath

Or throw it at amorous cats

Jamie
    Free Member

You can’t read a kindle in the bath

Yes you can.

kcal

Mate’s dad (very health & safety conscious) used to unplug the answering machine when they went out “because it might cause a fire”.. Hm.

molgrips
    Free Member

Can you pass on a Kindle book to someone else after you have read it or pick them up for a quid in charity shops?

If you’re going to have a paper vs Kindle argument:

1) I have to go out to a shop to buy paper books, I can’t browse for reviews or comments on books and buy them instantly at 11pm within 5 mins of finishing something else.

2) I can buy English books in foreign countries, instantly of course

3) I can get enormous volumes of stuf for free or at least under a quid. Complete works of Jules Verne, sir? That’ll be 79p please.

4) It’s easier to read in bed, you don’t have to hold up a big heavy book with one hand. Books actually aren’t that convenient for bed reading, we are just used to them.

5) I can’t check news or weather on a paperback novel 🙂

6) Paperbacks generally only contain one story not a dozen novels and another dozen non-fiction

7) Amazon has way way more books in it than a conventional shop

8 ) Amazon also does the ‘you may also like’ bit which is fantastic – of course a good bookseller would help you along those lines too, but when was the last time you met one of those? Who was equally knowledgable in all genres of fiction and non-fiction?

crikey
    Free Member

It’s easier to read in bed, you don’t have to hold up a big heavy book with one hand

Are you a T. Rex?

Can’t throw kindles at the cat.
    They don’t look nice on book shelves.
    No such thing as antique kindles.
    Can’t get First Edition kindles.
    Can’t prop things up with a kindle.

I’ve got books and a kindle. Prefer books!

molgrips
    Free Member

You can throw kindles at cats.

molgrips
    Free Member

First edition Kindle:

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

This thread was far better on the first page.

pocketrocket
    Free Member

This reminds me of the time I was teaching my dear old mum how to use a mobile phone, it took me days before she was confident enough to actually use it to make a call.
    Anyhow, I came back from work one day to find my Mum looking pleased as punch, and she proceeded to tell me how she had used the phone to have a really long conversation with my sister and how she had even managed to receive a text message from her.
    “Really” said I, “What did it say” astonished at her new found technical skills.
    “Well, she must’ve been taking the mickey out of me for being on the phone so long, because she sent a text saying, Your battery is low”.
    “Mum! That’s the phone telling you it needs charging!

mattsccm
    Free Member

W are not all techy types.
    I do have a mobile but its the most simple thing going. ~WTF would I want to do any more than call some one in an emergency. Actually its to keep the missus happy if I am away.
    My dad does the paper bit for the phone but his has the instructions on it for starting the thing as well.
    Kindles are limited. Very little non fiction, nothing old except classics and “book” cost a fortune compared with charity shops. Batteries flatten and who the hell goes near a power point or carries a charger on a tour. I haven’t even brought my phone on holiday

eggshellblonde
    Free Member

Kindles are a very convenient way to store many novels.

They’re just not the same as having a real book in your hands.

Bit like comparing a vinyl LP to an ipod download. They both contain the same music but one of them is special.

molgrips
    Free Member

Paper books are not special. Without the words it would be bog paper. Books are only special because of their contents; now the kindle contains books it becomes special.

Matsccm you do realise Kindle lasts weeks on a single charge? I found plenty of non fiction for me on there, and there is easily more than a normal town bokshop. And of course if you really need a particular book you can stil buy them as well 🙂

eggshellblonde
    Free Member

Paper books are not special. Without the words it would be bog paper. Books are only special because of their contents; now the kindle contains books it becomes special

Well der, a book without words eh? that wouldn’t be a book then would it?
    😆

People will differ in their opinions obv.
    I notice you didn’t shoot down the vinyl comparison? Plenty would, we each have our own views based upon the things that we have experienced and the things in our lives which have held meaning or have strong memories of.

Cougar

I notice you didn’t shoot down the vinyl comparison?

Low hanging fruit. I’d rather stick pins in my eyes than go back to vinyl.

IanW
    Free Member

My father-in-law is over to stay at the moment and didn’t have my new mobile number so I gave him it. Instead of adding it to the contacts list in his phone he wrote it on the piece of paper that he keeps tucked away in the battery compartment with everyones contact details on.
    Brilliant!

Which he will still have when your iTunes/Google acc has been corrupted and lost. It will also only include the people he is likely to ring as opposed to “Dave R” who you can’t remember.

Btw I work developing new tech and use a basic Nokia cos its better than ur not so smart smartphones.

Cougar

Knackered if he loses his phone though.

IanW
    Free Member

I doubt he’d stress that’s the point.

Jamie
    Free Member

Btw I work developing new tech and use a basic Nokia cos its better than ur not so smart smartphones.

As a phone, or as a smartphone?

molgrips
    Free Member

My stuff is backed up online automatically 🙂

IanW
    Free Member

You quoting, editing and challenging in defence of a consumer device?

Jamie
    Free Member

Erm, no? I was just leaving in the relevant bit, and asking you to clarify what you meant. As an old school Nokia probably is better a phone than a iPhone, due to being a more focused device. But, as a smartphone, it’s bobbins.

It all seem fairly straightforward, but I get the feeling you have some sort of point to prove, so will graciously step aside.

Spaceman
    Free Member

I love proper books but Kindles are excellent.

A customer recently gave me approx 4Gb of books on a memory stick, that would take up most of the rooms in my house if they were actual books.

I still like books and will continue to buy them, can’t be arsed with vinyl anymore tho.

Can read Kindle in the bath in a plastic ziplock bag, can read it in bed with the light off and disturb my lass less.

I love being able to download a book that I’ve been made aware of by a friend/the internet instantly and be able to read it straight away, the number of books I must have been recommended over the years but forgot to follow up is a bit depressing.

On balance, Kindles rule.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Got a kindle.

Went back to paper books.

Books are better to use and I say that being a linux nerd, there’s just something that is laggy and a pain in the arse about my kindle. Also, I go on spending sprees buying shit books that I never properly read when I have a kindle. I don’t do the same with proper books. Also I find that if I go to a bookshop and spend an hour browsing I find books that I might never have read had I just used teh internetz/the kindle to find what I normally like.

Viewing 23 posts - 41 through 63 (of 63 total)

The topic ‘My dad doesnt have a smartphone’ is closed to new replies.