Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • My chainsaw is bigger than yours :)
  • matt_outandabout

Having a day tomorrow removing some *large* windfall at work. One of the maintenance boys is breaking out his small saw – and I can have a go with it. 🙂

This lot to shift – 30m+ Noble Firs x 8, plus more ‘collateral’:

Jamie
    Free Member

McMoonter to the thread.

Dunno why. Just feels like he should be here.

merlinshearer
    Free Member

i’ll take some of that for my log burner 😀

NZCol

My mate is a vet and he went to a call before Xmas where someone had ‘done a mcmoonter’ which was all good except for the fact the tree sprung back into the hole. And the dog was asleep in the hole. Permanently.

Shorty121
    Free Member

bigger the chainsaw bigger the……chain

mcmoonter
    Free Member

McMoonter to the thread.

Dunno why. Just feels like he should be here.

I nearly bought a saw that size at a council plant sale, but for the life of me, I could never think of a single situation where I would ever use one. I’d love a go with one though 😈

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Have a look at Darius Kinsey’s photographs of logging in Washington, Oregon and California at the turn of the last century.

timber

Got one of those at work. Have to refill halfway through when cross cutting big hardwood. More guts in the Husky 3120XP where I used to work though.

Root plates are ideal for hiding stuff under, if you have anything to hide…

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I used a 36″ bar chainsaw with an 80cc motor a few times.

enfht
    Free Member

Those photos are so depressing.

alpin
    Free Member

enfht – Member

+1, but also impressive at the same time. would like to see one fall. just one, mind.

have you been to the Natural History Museum and seen the section of red wood? wow.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

These are more uplifting.

This is an awesome book if you are into tree climbing or just tree hugging
    http://richardpreston.net/books/wt.html

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8JoXKpHKgUg[/video]

teasel
    Free Member

would like to see one fall.

If that tree fell and no-one was around to see it you’d bloody well hear it in the next few counties…

HeatherBash
    Free Member

My…. what big root plates you have Grandma….

Mcmoonters pics of these old timers hacking through gigantic trees with hand tools far more impressive than any chainsaw.

matt_outandabout

Well, we have had fun 🙂

Pics to follow, but blue sky, bright winter sun and @freezing all day. Dropped 3 more trees, 1 big un that made a right dent in the tarmac driveway it landed on 8).

Clear up of the big ones – 3 saws and about 5 brash clearers and 3 big fires and we only got about 20% of the clear up done – they are huuuuge trees and a massive volume of timber. All the brash we are burning, branches sorted by size for chipping onto high ropes next week and big trunks for firewood as and when we can split em down.

*feels all manly, what with chainsaws, fires and suchlike*

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Awaits pics with breath baited.

joat

Probably teaching my grandmother to suck eggs (don’t actually know if she can though), but mind those rootplates. Plenty folks been squashed by ’em.

trout
    Free Member

thats not a chainsaw this is a chainsaw

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1e64Ify5Wp4[/video]

matt_outandabout

So, the vid of the trees coming down:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/matt_outandabout/6686362953/in/photostream

Pics of clearup uploading 🙂

matt_outandabout

The two ‘leaning and roots moving, but over gas tank, my office and carpark pair’

Next:

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Firewoodmageddon 😀

I dont think I’d be hanging around outside with the storm blowing in the video.

timber

I’d take down a few more to make up a lorry load, doesn’t look like you’ll need many more and some of those left standing will be more vulnerable without the shelter of others.
    Decent size trees and the market is relatively good right now, especially if it’s not larch.

maccruiskeen

have you been to the Natural History Museum and seen the section of red wood? wow.

If you are standing in a big old british museum the chances are the wood under your feet came from the forests in Mcmoonter’s pic

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘My chainsaw is bigger than yours :)’ is closed to new replies.