Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • My car doesn’t like poor areas
  • muckytee
    Free Member

I drive a 2009 Volvo S40 and my car alarm always goes of if I park in Holbeck (more specifically near Eurocar parts/ Dunelem mill) in Leeds, every time, it doesn’t go off anywhere else. I’ve had the car almost 2 years.

I get out of the car lock it and it goes off.

My only theory is it’s a Volvo so suffers from a middle class snobbishness

bikebouy
    Free Member

Don’t park there then.

Is there a Waitrose nearby??

hodgynd
    Free Member

There is nowt middle class about a 10 year old Volvo ..maybe it just feels right at home …

martymac

I once had a fiat punto, 1.3 multijet diesel, if I drove past tesco in perth it would go into limp mode. Literally every time.
    Never ever did it anywhere else.
    Weird.

bearnecessities

There is nowt middle class about a 10 year old Volvo

A 10 year old Volvo estate, or preferably older, is more middle class than a full-price Laura Ashley sofa.

A Volvo saloon though? Nope. Something about them. A 340 or 440 hatchback was also middle class, but there’s something ruffian about their saloons – S40/60/80 etc..

*I own an S40.

vondally
    Free Member

A 15 to 20 year old Volvo is the ‘real’ middle class….. No hp/No loan/ no PCP…run it till it stops dear

wardee
    Free Member

Old colinear transmitter for a taxi firm fitted anywhere nearby?

These used to cause problems with setting the alarm and central locking on my 2006 BMW as they worked on the same frequency band as the car key. Not many about these days with the advent of mobile phones.

cheekyboy
    Free Member

Its probably the proximity of Dunelm Mill, thats where newly retired or neutered men are taken to cement the reality of the oncoming doom.

136stu
    Free Member

Might one enquire why you’re parked up in Holbeck? Just asking like.

ads678

Might one enquire why you’re parked up in Holbeck? Just asking like.

….honest officer, I was waiting for my wife to come out of Dunelm, when the scantily clad lady that was standing on that corner approached my car and asked me for directions…..

bikebouy
    Free Member

Did you not turn off the “recovery/internal” alarm first ?

🤗

finbar
    Free Member

A Volvo saloon though? Nope. Something about them. A 340 or 440 hatchback was also middle class, but there’s something ruffian gammon about their saloons – S40/60/80 etc..

Volvo saloons normally seem to be driven by OAPs whenever I see them…

Not that I’m in a position to critique anyone’s car choice, I drive a Popemobile (aka Fiat Panda) 😀

stumpy01

Weird, innit?

Several people have parked cars on my parents drive, only to find when they go to leave that the car blipper won’t unlock the car, or the car will not start – immobiliser won’t recognise the key, or something. This had happened in all sorts of cars, with both standard fit security stuff & Thatcham approved (is that still a thing?) aftermarket alarm/immobiliser systems.

They always start eventually; normally just as the victim is considering calling a breakdown service, or getting a tube map out…

Weird.

martinhutch

Might one enquire why you’re parked up in Holbeck?

#Vulva for sale

mattyfez

I drive a 2009 Volvo S40 and my car alarm always goes of if I park in Holbeck

So the alarm is probably working correctly? Lol!

jam-bo

When the police introduced the tetra radio system on a previously unrestricted channel (448 MHz from memory) it caused no end of problems with my sigma alarm in my golf. I once had to push it about 500yds down the road before i could un-immobilise it.

thegeneralist
    Free Member

There is nowt middle class about a 10 year old Volvo ..maybe it just feels right at home …

Hmmm, You don’t really know what middle class is do you?

smiffy

My wife had a car that took exception not to places but people, mostly me. I took it to work one day and she had to drive 40 miles to press the button on the key so it could be driven home, after I’ve asked half the company to have a try of the blipper like some sword-in-the-stone ritual. They watched from the window in disbelief as she swapped cars and drove off.

kerley
    Free Member

An old Volvo estate can even border into Upper Class territory. The Upper Class type who doesn’t have any money.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

There is nowt middle class about a 10 year old Volvo

Def the sort of car “old money” would drive, Muckytee probably lives at Harewood House

singletrackmind

Gazes out of window at clean, smart, tidy 2002 volvo v70. 900 whole English pounds. So middle class. It starts and stops OK. Does around 55mpg, and it’s all mine, I am not paying more on pcp payments than my pension payments. So middle class, nah not even close.

derek_starship
    Free Member

I was sitting in my car waiting for my ex GF outside a central Manchester college building. She was doing a marketing course or some shid. Anyway, a young lady knocked on the window. I wound it down (mk3 Capri) and she asked if I fancied a hand job for a fiver.

Now that made my alarm go off!

kerley
    Free Member

Guessing you had 2 at that price. Did she drive an old Volvo?

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘My car doesn’t like poor areas’ is closed to new replies.