• This topic has 49 replies, 31 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by Drac.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 50 total)
  • My biking pal…taken off Cannock Chase in ambulance…!!!
  • takisawa2

Mate of mine had a really nasty crash tonight. Cannock locals will know where I’m on about if I say its just as you come off the top of one of the old shooting butts. From the trig point, blast down the fire road, sweep up onto the butt then diagonally down the other side to the jump.
    Anyway, his wheel dug in on landing & he came down heavily on his head, crushing his head into his chest, bounced, then landed again on his head. I ran back to find him motionless, unable to move at all & bleeding badly from where his glasses had broken his nose. He was in shock I guess, telling us he couldn’t move his legs & that he didn’t want to end up like his grandad who was confined to a wheelchair.
    To say we were a bit concerned is something of an understatement.!!! Ambulance service were brilliant, as usual. Other mate rode back up to the Penkridge Bank Rd & they were already there waiting for the 4×4 ambulance who have a barrier key.
    I was bloody glad to see them when they finally got to us, as he was in a bad way. Pretty soon he was on a spinal board & on his way to casualty. They called for the Air Ambulance but it had got too dark.

Keep running through it now, brings it home I guess how these things can happen. Now thoroughly in awe of those Paramedics & the sense of calm & order they bring to a bad situation.

PT.

jedi

crashes happen.
    healing vibes to the rider!!

epicyclo

Hope it all goes well for him.

neilb67
    Free Member

Snakebite knows that place too well… 🙄

sofaking
    Free Member

hope everything is ok for your friend

roper
    Free Member

Can you give us an update when you have more news?
    I hope he is ok. It sounds like the Paramedics were spot on and you and your friends did the right things too.

I hope he make a full recovery.

lowey

Nasty, for all concerned. We also had need of the ambulance service on Saturday. Top people, completely professional.

Hope your mate makes a full and speedy recovery.

Frankers
    Free Member

Sorry to hear about your mate Paul, hope he’s well soon

Spankmonkey
    Free Member

Hope he is ok, when I had my crash the ambulance and hospital were great, very under valued service…. hope all goes ok!

scruff
    Free Member

That little jump has caused alot of pain. I take it he didnt clear the hole?
    Someone got a star picture in MBUK or something a few years back doing a faceplant there.

Best wishes to your mate.

Gooner
    Free Member

all the best to your mate and please keep us updated

neverfastenuff
    Free Member

A massive thanks to Takisawa2 and Colin for helping me through the ordeal.
    Takisawa2 was cool par excellence. Colin for getting tha ambulance crew to me.. quite a hard ride from where I was.
    Terrifying first few minutes as I was lucid but could not feel arms – legs, I knew my head and neck had suffered an almighty clout.

Hospital Staff were excellent – Stafford.. many thanks to them.

I am home as walking wounded with nothing broken but may have a fracture of one of my shoulder blades.. but hey ho, I can live with that.

Good news now is my tetanus is now up to date…

Will need a new helmet….

Thankyou for all your support.

Stoner
    Free Member

phhhhhhhhhhh

*lets out held breath*

thank goodness for that.
    Well done all! (and dont forget to put some pennies in the air ambulance bucket even if you didnt use them this time 🙂 )

ton

get well soon mate………
    and change ur name to ‘sometimestoofast’……… 😉

wee-al
    Free Member

Awesome man, awesome. That sounded proper nasty. Sounds like your mates deserve some respect for there coolnes under pressure. The paramedics are my heroes man!

snakebite
    Free Member

A lucky escape-glad you are up and about.

I came down on the stump some years back (fnaar)….the end of my GT and a long painful walk back to Milford and trip upto A/E.

As is the usual way, the lads carried on riding and left me….Thursdays never change.

hora
    Free Member

takisawa, any news? Hope all is well.

catnash
    Free Member

Great news to hear your OK. Does make you realise how fine a line it can all be.

snowslave

Glad to hear you’re ok. It’s pretty nasty when something like that happens. I know exactly the place you mean – I’ve got a spectacular picture of someone doing something v similar at that place. He smashed his collar bone up pretty bad and was off work for months.

Stoner
    Free Member

takisawa, any news?

oh, hora.
    🙄

snowslave

Was this where you did it too?

takisawa2

Thats exactly the spot snowslave.
    Was a sobering experience I can tell you.
    Phil…that car of yours cant half shift mate…drifts lovely.
    Apologies for the speeding fines your going to get… 🙂

hora
    Free Member

neverfastenuff phew. Oops- sorry Im abit slow first thing

snakebite
    Free Member

The guy above needs to let the bars go, and prepare for gravel… I don’t think he’ll pull back in time….

scruff
    Free Member

Lycra+no peak+high saddle=asking for trouble.

simonb
    Free Member

I know that spot it nearly came a cropper once……hope they guy is okay.

lowey

Timing on that pic is spot on snowslave. I can almost hear the yell. You just know that its not going to end well.

neverfastenuff
    Free Member

Phil…that car of yours cant half shift mate…drifts lovely.
    Apologies for the speeding fines your going to get.

Paul,

I will forgive you anything mate. 😀

Wookster

Glad your ok mate A&E staff are brill really new lid time eh reckon you’ll need to pick up a few extra bits while in the shop!!! 😉

Jakester
    Free Member

Good to hear you’re okay.

I’m currently nursing two fractured ribs from crashing on the skinny* over the bog on Saturday.

It only hurts when I laugh**.

*Apparently it’s wider than it used to be, too. V depressing.
    **And also when I’m not laughing.

scruff
    Free Member

Cannock Chase is an eXtreeme environment. Be careful out there.

maxray
    Free Member

lol @ scruff.. was about to say I always see it as nice n gentle compared ot other places..

2 broken ribs off the skinny over the bog.. nightmare 😀

My friend hit a tree stump approaching the raised bit and managed to tear muscles in his shoulder needing an operation… be careful out there people..

Jakester
    Free Member

Scruff – I know! Present thread topic notwithstanding, I feel slightly embarassed to have been crocked on the Chase…

franki
    Free Member

Sounds a nasty one. Hope he recovers quickly!
    That jump looks easy, but catches loads of people. I’ve come close to binning it there myself.

It’s never good when you can’t all fall about laughing following a crash.
    Luckily it doesn’t seem to happen too often.

scruff
    Free Member

I’ve come close to binning it there myself.

Yeh, but you’re a bit sh1t. 😛

sofaking
    Free Member

glad to hear your ok.

mamadirt
    Free Member

Relieved to see your post up there . . . heal soon and take care.

neverfastenuff
    Free Member

Hello Jakester;

I hope you get back to fitness soon – ribs – horrid injury..

neverfastenuff
    Free Member

Now the fog in my head has shifted I think I know why it happened :

I had locked the travel out on my forks earlier for that gentle climb from the stream in Sherbrook to the Cadet Camp, we then swung a left from there down to the butt, forks still locked out, down the butt, but couldnt load my forks properly to take the ‘jump’ so never got any air and came down short.. done that jump many times before…. numnut !!

Drac

Good to hear you got to it away with with what you did, also nice to see people appreciate the service we provide as well as our colleagues in A+E.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 50 total)

The topic ‘My biking pal…taken off Cannock Chase in ambulance…!!!’ is closed to new replies.