My bike in the alps, will I die?

Home Forum Bike Forum My bike in the alps, will I die?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 62 total)
  • My bike in the alps, will I die?
  • yodagoat

Everyone dies eventually.

Well, the first time I went to the alps, I had a bike with 63mm of elastomar sprung front travel, v brakes and bar ends. I don’t think you’ll die. And I don’t think your bike will either.

Don’t listen to him. You will die. Just hopefully not any time soon.

It’ll be fine, great in fact! 😀
    Take your spare shock..

You have 12 pistons in your brakes. If you die in the alps it will be all your fault.

big yim

All the mates are telling me I need a full dh rig as mine will fall to bits. Think the wheels may take a pounding but seem well made to me. Taking a spare bearing set, shock with top hats, o rings for the forks and my lucky pants.

Your bike will be fine for the job.

They are a very capable bike but not too light! its doesnt look the lightest build so if you can ride downhill you will be fine, if you cant ride uphill you maybe in a world of hurt. is that a 1×9? chain catcher?what tyres you running?

Will be fine…before Marketing went mainstream in MTBing, we just rode whatever was in the way on whatever we had between our legs…the Reign will be plenty fine…

You will die but most likely in many years time from now…

Get some dual-ply High Rollers and a couple of spare mech hangers and you’ll be fine. Your mates sound like willy-waving louts 😉

Premier Icon Northwind

Which alps? They’re about the size of the UK, every sort of riding is available.

What type of tracks will you be riding? Natural singletrack or the mainstream Pleney and Les Gets?

Your a lot better rider than them willy wavers yim you will be fine

mainstream Pleney

not this year…

Your bike will be fine for everything if you are a competent rider. A week or two will only destroy the rear mech (as the bushing in it will go super floppy), everything else should be fine if you have some dual ply tyres. Normally worth giving forks and shocks a quick lowers/air can service before going if you’re capable.

big yim

intense 909s or minion dhr as tyres go at the moment. Its currently on a 2×9 but i’ll swap to a 1×9 before I go as its my (very heavy) xc bike too

Get a Stinger and stay 2×9. Cheaper than a single ring guide and you can leave it on back here.

I went last year with an 05 reign, bomber forks, slx brakes, 719 mavic rims.

Total bike damage

One broken spoke

Damage to me, sore hands from riding. I tried a carbon V10 for a day, faster, more manouverable but not actually that different in terms of time down hill or control.

You’ll be fine 🙂

I took my 5″ travel Pace RC405 last summer to morzine, and it was the shortest travel bike I saw all week! It survived apart from a rock taking out the rear mech on the last day. But this could happen to any bike.

As you can see in this photo though, once you’re pointing downhill and on the brakes you quickly run out of fork travel on a short travel bike. I was desperate for an extra few mm of fork travel!

I rented a DH bike for the last day after breaking mine. This made things much more fun!

big yim

Going to the alps in july and all the guys im going with have full on dh bikes, as I’ve never been before im not sure how much of a battering my bike is going to take. From experience how much of this bike will I be bringing back with me in pieces?
    Its an 06 reign with a monarch rt3 rear shock, also have a spare 3 way swinger
    55 ata tst forks,
    Fsa gravity cranks
    DMR wheels
    6ti hope brakes

Make sure you have some decent brake pads i.e sintered, should have fited mine instead of ‘carrying them as spares’ for my Juicy 3’s or whatever I had fitted, and finding no power with the standard pads that were fitted.

I was on a 100mm travel bike, on the other hand I tagged along with some guys on hardtails they were more than happy.

I blaady hope not! ive just bought a reign, with the idea of it being alps capable!

depends what you ride though. I smashed my patriot up last year on the penultimate day of two weeks through a dodgey landing, so spent the final 48 hrs riding my 21″ xc bike. just had to approach stuff differently!
    we were all on 160mm bikes, though the fastest among us was on a slack 120mm bike!

For a lot of off piste twisty stuff or you want to go exploring your bike spot on.

I found sintered pads just cooked and caught fire in Spain, Get some decent organics if its dry weather, as changed mine to organics and all was fine for the week.

mabbe stick ta saddle doon abit

Premier Icon vondally

sorry but you are overbiked for the alps 😉

Your concerns are well placed, but you will see how amazing your bike is plus what you need to upgrade before you go again next year. The best thing is you will return a better rider.
    The best advise i could give is take it easy start on the green runs and work your way up.

Premier Icon Trekster

I took my `05 Kona Dawg to Chatel last year 😆
    It survived as did I. Rode only stuff I and the bike were capable of doing, some lifts & DH routes and lots of XC.

I am in the process of building up a 2005 Reign for this summer. I will take a DH bike too.

But the majority of my riding will be on the Reign. I run a 57mm stroke rear shock which gives 6.75″ rear travel. This works OK on a 16″ Reign, but I don’t know about the other sizes. I am looking for some cheapo 55s for the front.

I will run XT brakes and Pro2/Flow wheels, most likely tubeless.

I do not plan to die, fingers crossed. And your bike looks great.

Premier Icon footflaps

Personally the only change I’d make would be Dh tyres set up tubelessly. I took a 1st gen 100mm Blur to the Dolomites a few years back (admittedly it had a 140mm fork on the front) and the only problem I had was with the tyres – bought some super tacky high rollers out there.

big yim

I’m planning on taking a few tyres but for some reason I’m old school and I’m an inner tube kinda guy! I’ll listen to the advice and get some spare mech hangers too just incase.
    Knowing the idiots I ride with starting with the green runs won’t be an option and it’ll be a baptism of fire.

Premier Icon rOcKeTdOg

no dropper? certain death

Done a few alpine trips now. First time was on a rigid XC bike. Second on a 6″ full sus, 3rd on an NRS. If I go back it’ll be on a lightly built short travel hardtail. Ignore your mates, bleed your brakes beforehand and all will be lovely.

Premier Icon Northwind

big yim – Member

I’m planning on taking a few tyres but for some reason I’m old school and I’m an inner tube kinda guy!

FWIW I think I might have been the only person on our last week in the alps who didn’t flat, including the guides. Tough tyres + tubeless – clumsy riding = great success 🙂

If I was going to some full-on downhill place I’d take the 224 but we’re off to the Tarantaise and White Room so Hemlock it is.

Premier Icon stevied

My 1st visit to the Alps was on a Giant NRS, 3.75″ travel front and rear. The guys I was with were on bigger bikes but I had no problems. Maybe not the ideal bike but I rode just past the edge of what the bike should be able to do 😉 bike and me came back in 1 piece..

Premier Icon kimbers

just make sure your brakes have had a decent bleed and you will be fine

that Giant will be great out there. as said already, if you have a spare shock then take it with you just in case, also some spare brake pads as everything costs much more out there (if they have them in stock).

The first time i went out there i was on a GT i-drive 1 which handled everything with no problem……my C2 Hope brakes on the other hand 🙂

It will be fine, everything with a pivot (mech/frame etc) will all be wobbly by the end of it… but it will be fine.

If the frame/forks will take some 2.5 tyres then that will help.

Good luck with your hands, the braking bumps out there are hard on your hands when riding bikes with less than 7″ travel.

Premier Icon mugsys_m8

Alps is a big place. I live in them and ride nothing but a rigid singlespeed. It’s not ‘the alps’ that defines, it’s the locations, the trails you want to ride and how you want to ride them.

I’m a mincer and I took my rigid singlespeed to Meribel meet up with some riding friends who were over from the UK. I was told not to bring my bike, you won’t be able to ride it. Hire one. Needless to say I ignored their advice, had a hoot and suprised everyone.

Whatever you do have fun!

Premier Icon pictonroad

It’ll be fine, I rode a Kona Dawg on all the Morzine and Les Gets downhill runs and it didn’t snap. DH bike would have been faster and more comfortable but nothing gave way.

You’ll want a dual ply tyre for the front (at least) and a pair of DH inner tubes though. Our party with UK set up tubeless and tubes lasted half a day before everyone upgraded.

(If you want a brand new dual ply super tacky high roller and some DH tubes then mail me, I have them left over from my trip, going cheap!)

Beefy large volume tyres e.g. double ply or protection sidewall, tubeless or DH tubes. Take a spare tyre and spare DH tubes.

Don’t under inflate the tyres – your rims need protecting

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 62 total)

The topic ‘My bike in the alps, will I die?’ is closed to new replies.