Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • My bank have updated my new card number with google billing.
  • 5plusn8
    Free Member

Do you find this a bit worrying?
    My new card was issued this month as the old one expires 31/1.
    Google notified me that my bank have given them my new card number.
    For some reason this makes me a bit uncomfortable.

zilog6128

Never heard of or noticed this but apparently it’s a thing, opt-out rather than opt-in!
    https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/experts/article-7661313/Can-online-firms-really-new-card-details-you.html

I guess it’s a good thing though, could be pretty disastrous if your insurance didn’t renew for example.

peaslaker
    Free Member

<deleted>

BigJohn

When my card details changed a few months ago I was surprised that some payees already had the new numbers when I went to change them. This explains it. The downside is that you assume you don’t need to do anything – and then a payment doesn’t go through and you’ve got a black mark on your credit rating (maybe).

Sui
    Free Member

As ever it’s in the small print when you add your details – i inadvertently also did it with Facebook (i thought i was completing my google autofill) – never knew FB had FB Payments!!

As is said, i think it’s overall a good thing – my breakdown cover didn’t renew when i needed it – that was costly!! 🙁

pyranha

I had this recently but I was away from home when the new card was dispatched and was unable to use the old card online, despite it still being valid for another month. I didn’t realise, and the new cards had different cvv number as well as expiry. In fact, as that was December, the new cards didn’t arrive for a few days, which was tiresome.

bigblackshed

I had some fraudulent transactions on my bank card at the beginning of January. Called my bank and got it sorted, they issued a new card. Within 24 hours my Apple Pay had updated with the new cad details and worked fine. The physical card took another few days to arrive.

It meant I could use Apple Pay almost immediately and I’ve continued using it ever since.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I had some fraudulent transactions on my bank card at the beginning of January. Called my bank and got it sorted, they issued a new card. Within 24 hours my Apple Pay had updated with the new cad details and worked fine. The physical card took another few days to arrive.

Apple perhaps not as presumably that requires your phone/watch to complete the transaction.

But if the thief had saved the details on easiliyfencedgoods.com via apple/Facebook/google or something what’s stopping those details from being updated?

toby1

There are 2 types of payments usually, one-off and rolling subscription. If you have something like a Disney + subscription then Google are billing you as a repeat payment and are therefore able to subscribe to your payment details and any updates to it. This might be a few years out of date as it’s a while since I’ve worked in payments.

Nothing overly sinister or big brother about it, in the old times this would have been a direct debit as opposed to a card transaction, but visa/MasterCard didn’t make any money that way!

maccyb
    Free Member

Note that, while handy for keeping subscription-type payments updated when you get a new card without having to do anything, I have read about situations where a new credit card has been issued due to fraudulent transactions being made with it… and the fraudster also gets the payment details updated so continues to do their fraudulent thing!

So if you are getting a card reissued due to fraud, you may want to ensure that you are opted out of the payment details being automatically updated *before* you get the new card issued… if that’s possible.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘My bank have updated my new card number with google billing.’ is closed to new replies.