Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 125 total)
  • "my bad"
  • clubber
    Free Member

Would that make you Wockneys?

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

I thought this was Engrish, derived from a similar source to ‘all our base are now belong to us’

RustySpanner

How do I have a tendancy to racism?
    Specifics would be nice.

And shall we continue this back on the other thread?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    DezB
    Free Member

If it is, as some tedious weirdos always say, the “evolution of language” (ha!), that doesn’t mean it’s not used by people COPYING AMERICANS. And it doesn’t mean it’s not bloody annoying.

lovewookie

I’m going to murder out my head later.

yes I’m dying my hair black.

Nobby

I always thought “my bad” came from Cybertron?

RustySpanner

C’mon Woppit.

Evidence of my racism please.

nealglover
    Free Member

As if I don’t get enough of it from the wannabe yanks at work

Oops 😳

chvck
    Free Member

😆

molgrips
    Free Member

They need to be told, and in short shrift

What’s shrift, and why does its length matter?

I hope you know.. you might look a bit of a tit otherwise 🙂

that doesn’t mean it’s not used by people COPYING AMERICANS.

What’s wrong with that? We learn language by copying people. That’s why people say things like ‘short shrift’ without knowing what it means.

Unless you are saying that copying Americans is bad because they are Americans..? Wouldn’t that make you a bit of a xenophobe?

Even if you are, you needn’t worry. They talk like us far more than we talk like them.

RustySpanner

Molgrips, to save repeating myself, here’s last month’s discussion on the same subject:
    Americanisms.

molgrips
    Free Member

Whateva

RustySpanner

Innit? 🙂

cfinnimore
    Free Member

screw dis grammer n spellin malarkey, n y dus it even mater? rly tho. hows dis nemore obtuse than shakspeer?

CountZero

chvck – Member
    kimbers » languages change and evolve with time, deal with it
    +1 I’m sure that the generation before most on here complained about the way that they used the language too.

Americans were bitching about the intrusion of English idioms into American language in the eighteenth century.

DezB – Member
    If it is, as some tedious weirdos always say, the “evolution of language” (ha!), that doesn’t mean it’s not used by people COPYING AMERICANS. And it doesn’t mean it’s not bloody annoying.

‘Wierdos’? Seriously, have a quiet talk with yourself, will you? Every language that has access to global media copies elements of the languages they’re exposed to.
    Accept the fact, and find something more important to complain about.

molgrips
    Free Member

What is actually wrong with copying Americans?

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Innit?

You missed ‘blud’ off the end. It’s ‘Innit Blud’ innit? (er…blud)

Nobby

What is actually wrong with copying Americans?

Have you seen Man vs Food?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

shermer75
    Free Member

Going forward

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

Would you all stop it ‘already’

Cougar

It does seem a bit weird to suddenly be complaining about the adoption of handy foreign words and terms when we’ve been doing it for millennia. About the only native English words we use are ones which would get caught in STW’s swear filter.

Because it’s not about “copying” Americans, it’s about borrowing of American words, just the same as we’ve done with German, Latin, French, Norse… Granted, that’s usually as a result of us being invaded rather than coming back from one of our invasion forces, but the principle’s the same.

racefaceec90

it’s the equivalent to this video 😡

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iEe_eraFWWs[/video]

slackalice
    Free Member

I’m all over this colloquialism

DezB
    Free Member

‘Wierdos’? Seriously, have a quiet talk with yourself, will you? Every language that has access to global media copies elements of the languages they’re exposed to.
    Accept the fact, and find something more important to complain about.

Ooh, get her. And what is so important about complaining about a STW poster, which seems to be what you spend your time doing?
    Actually, I often have quite noisy talks with myself. Much to the amusement of passers by.

That phrase has been around since the 70’s.

…the 70s.

The ’70s.

Edit;
    Pedantry fail. The correctly placed apostrophe just looks like a serif on the seven. 🙁

MrsToast
    Free Member

Amazeballs!

Totes amazeballs! Like, totes.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Anti-Americanism. Good old-fashioned English racism in disguise. 😛

pondo

Going forward

*Grinds teeth*. I hate that phrase, gets used a lot in the office.

“Problem A has occurred because of Cause B – going forward, we need to implement Resolution C. “

How is that an improvement (or even any different to –

“Problem A has occurred because of Cause B – we need to implement Resolution C.”

Superfluous words, and as Kwai Chang Caine says, “when words are no better than silence, one should choose silence”.

molgrips
    Free Member

Many American words are in fact old British ones that have gone out of fashion here.

pondo

Fall, as a word for Autumn, is an example – it was in common useage over here when the pilgrim fathers done one, they kept it, we dropped it, now we think of it as an Americanism. If you’ve got an interest in such things, Bill Bryson’s Made In America is a fantastic book on the subject.

molgrips
    Free Member

Just checked another one at random – faucet, for tap. It’s from middle French, possibly Provencale, via middle English.

And bathroom for toilet, which seems to get people annoyed on here. Toilet is just as much of a euphamism, but possibly more pretentious since it’s a French word that originally meant a kind of cloth, and was then used to refer to washing onesself. So when you say toilet, you are doing the same thing as when Americans say bathroom.

caffeineoldbean
    Free Member

Rubbish, garbage, trash, bin. My bad.

molgrips
    Free Member

They use the word ‘bin’ for the general sense, ie a large ish open topped receptacle. It’s us that’s extended it to mean the rubbish bin.

Incidentally, we’ve also made a verb out of it, as in to bin something. Which is something the haters on here rant about Americans doing.

PS just type any word into google followed by etymology.

Apparently trash is middle English, garbage Anglo-Norman French.

Stoner
    Free Member

Unless you type “molgrips etymology” when you then just get stuck in a molgrips etymology loop via the STW forum and never truly find the meaning of molgrips….

molgrips
    Free Member

No-one knows the true meaning of molgrips.

oxym0r0n

Yolo…

Swag 😀

bigblackshed

binners – Member
    I love words and phrases like this. Its a handy way for individuals to announce to the world that they’re a complete ****-wit, and not worth entering into conversation with.

When I’m running the planet, you will be able to announce that you’ve registered this by slapping whoever just uttered it with a wet fish.

Stoner – Member
    Unless you type “molgrips etymology” when you then just get stuck in a molgrips etymology loop via the STW forum and never truly find the meaning of molgrips….

Where would one locate the “hear, hear” iconograph?

RustySpanner

Mr Woppit – Member

Anti-Americanism. Good old-fashioned English racism in disguise.

You call me a racist and that’s your justification?

Pathetic.

RustySpanner

molgrips – Member

We learn language by copying people. That’s why people say things like ‘short shrift’ without knowing what it means.

Unless you are saying that copying Americans is bad because they are Americans..? Wouldn’t that make you a bit of a xenophobe?

Molgrips, to paraphrase from the previous thread:

I’ve nothing against Americans or American English, but the replacement of perfectly good, commonly used words and phrases by Americanisms is not evolution.

I love the way British English continues with it’s natural evolution – immigration and assimilation have enriched our language immeasurably and hopefully will continue to do so.

However, there is simply no excuse for our media to promote Americanisms where a perfectly satisfactory British English equivalent is in common usage.
    It’s cultural vandalism and should be treated with laughter, ridicule and contempt.

Both my stepdaughters talk like they’re in an episode of ‘Friends’.
    I blame their mother for not beating it out of them when she had the chance and I also blame the media for it’s wholesale acceptance and promotion of American Culture in preference to our own.

I like British English, with all it’s appropriations, mistakes and contradictions.
    I don’t like the way that English is being homogenised.
    It leaves us poorer as a society.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 125 total)

The topic ‘"my bad"’ is closed to new replies.