Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • my average miles per piss is 5MPP… what's yours?
  • geordiemick00
    Free Member

I have no logical reason to explain but when I’m out riding I sweat a lot and piss a lot. Last night I did a 15 mile ride and had to stop and piss three times.

Is this normal??

I drink orange juice or water, has the same effect and I drink around a litre in that period.

wwaswas

Is this normal??

Stopping to pee every 20-30 minutes strikes me as excessive.

I tend to pee less whilst riding as I sweat so much fluid out.

loddrik
    Free Member

My piss facility seems to shut down whilst riding.

mboy
    Free Member

I find, on a mountain bike in particular, my bladder seems to shrink to the size of an eggcup and I need to piss a lot on rides. Less of a problem on a road bike funnily enough.

But 5MPP is high even by my standards, I’m probably at 8-10 offroad MPP I’d say.

jekkyl

small connecting tube to water bottle?

We stop roughly once every hour and that’s enough for me. Perhaps see a Dr, isn’t a need to urinate frequently a symptom of something else?

brassneck

Just get kidney stones, then every free wee is a blessing 🙂

{About 3 MPP, post the stones}

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

I can’t remember the last time I stopped during a bike ride for a pee.

njee20
    Free Member

Maybe once or twice on a 4 hour ride. Less on the road.

cynic-al
    Free Member

1 litre an hour is quite a bit IMO, even if you are working really hard in the heat (both of which I doubt).

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

never! ive been out for 6 hours plus with 3litres of water/hydration and never pissed mid ride 😆

tomkerton
    Free Member

I don’t piss when I’m out riding, my normal bike time is 2-3:30 and I drink two 800ml bottles even in winter. I am on the sweater side when riding too.

5MPP sounds a lot, none of my riding buddies have a MPP that low.

IanW
    Free Member

Rarely Pee on rides, only exception is the really long stuff like say Dunwich Dynamo, even then my reluctance to stop meant I spent a good hour wondering about the feasibility of peeing whilst riding.

Afraid I may not have the equipment required to exit below the bibs though.

pondo

80 miles the other weekend on 2 litres and no pi$$ing. Check me out! 🙂

convert

my reluctance to stop meant I spent a good hour wondering about the feasibility of peeing whilst riding.

Afraid I may not have the equipment required to exit below the bibs though.

This is one of the nastier habits at the pointy end of the long distance triathlon crowd. Amongst the racers where stopping might actually make a difference the done thing is just to stand up on a gentle descent and just piss yourself. Kind of weird feeling having it flood your suit and dribble down your legs but you dry soon enough. You tend to stink a bit at the end though!

dannyh
    Free Member

Blimey!

The second I start to turn the pedals in anger I start sweating like there’s no tomorrow.

I think my body just says ‘no way’ to losing any more fluid, so it is very rare that I ever need to have more than one quick slash even on a big day out.

You really have to see me sweat to believe it! A brief press on the front of my bike helmet to squeeze the pads results in what appear to be a tap on the end of my nose – even when the temperature is in single figures.

seosamh77
    Free Member

I’m no different to normal. ie how much i pee is directly related to how much I drink

Yak

Seems a lot.

Varies for me. If I’ve had a lot of coffee pre-ride, then maybe a few pees, but usually 15-20 MPP off-road.

verticalclimber
    Free Member

electrolytes may help, read an interview with one of the sky teams guys and he was saying not enough electrolytes lets water go straight through. i tend to agree as piss less with electro drink then just energy

cinnamon_girl

Off road pee’ing was never a problem despite being a female. However, I’m only riding on the road these days and find myself holding it in which is not good!

So … how do you roadies manage to find somewhere to go then?

Yak

Pull over, turn my back to the road. No-one can see me. Works everytime

i’m not a girl though, so this technique may not work for all. 😉

londonerinoz
    Free Member

Generally once per ride if I stop to eat mid ride.

Do you usually ride at night? The cold can make me piss more off the bike. How’s your saddle? If anything mine causes me to feel less need though.

garage-dweller

1 ride in 3

My rides are usually only a couple of hours though.

My MPP is probably worse in the car than on the bike!

Occasionally might have one pee on a 10-15 mile ride drinking between 1-2 litres of water. I’m like dannyh ^^ though and sweat just looking at the bike. I tend to pee more often after a ride though even though I always end up feeling dehydrated

wiggles
    Free Member

Im probably at 10-15MPP, I can go for hours without a piss in work bit put me out in the wilderness and I need one quite often comes from growing up on a farms and just going when needed whilst out working I think.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Sounds a lot. I tend to stop once every 45min to 1 hour if I’m drinking a lot, otherwise often not at all. As posted before depends how much you are drinking. You may have an infection, is this a bike only related issue (I don’t need the answer it’s a question just for you 😉 )

amedias
    Free Member

Maybe once or twice on a 4 hour ride. Less on the road

this ^

Last night I did a 15 mile ride …
    I drink around a litre in that period

You drink a litre over 15 miles? that’s a heck of a lot!

On the road I get through a 500ml bottle every 40 – 50 miles at this time of year, less when colder, more in the summer.

On MTB I don’t tend to take any water unless going out for more than 30miles or in the red hot blistering heat of an English Summer, will normally have a cup of tea if there’s a cafe at the end though 🙂

geordiemick00
    Free Member

You drink a litre over 15 miles? that’s a heck of a lot!

I’ve been off the bike for 4 months and getting back in to in, but even on a 25 miler i’d drink 2 litres…

I’m being investigated for kidney stone at the minute, i’ve just ended a 6 month relapse of drinking 3 cans of diet coke and 4 bars of chocolate a day habit. Now detoxing, which is why i’m so angry!!! 😈

woodsman
    Free Member

I pee a fair few times on a ride. I like to be hydrated before I start a ride, and sip during so that equals a fair bit of pizzing. I don’t think/hope there is anything wrong in that…

amedias
    Free Member

I couldn’t physically drink that much! 2 litres and I’d be feeling like a little human blimp, no wonder you’re peeing so much!

Just out if interest why do you drink that much? Is it because if the amount you sweat or just that you feel you need that much water?

I only ask because I have a friend who is similar to you (without the peeing) who will always take a pretty much full camelback with him and drink it before ive finished my bottle. I often wonder if he’s drinking because he thinks he needs to rather than actually needing to.

Fingers crossed for you on the kidneys stones, nasty things, hope you’re ok!

wiggles
    Free Member

I once tried to see how much water I could drink… Downed nearly 4 litres and felt like I was going to die. Would not recommended.

rocketman
    Free Member

Can drink a couple of litres of energy bodge in 12-15 miles no probs I understand the salt encourages one to keep drinking and I sweat like a Geordie in a maths test so input = output. On a freakily hot UK day I’ll drink 3 litres in 20 miles again without a pee stop. In contrast on a cold winters day with a couple of coffees before starting off I have to go at least a couple of times in 20 miles. My sweat/pee ratio is almost 1:1

dannyh
    Free Member

A litre over 15 miles isn’t that much for me. Again a lot depends on weather, terrain and whether you’ve been out on the piss the night before.

The reason I say this is because I did a ride around some of hills around Kettlewell on one of the few hot days in July 2011. Those hills are big for my riding. I’d also had six pints and a curry the night before.

At the top of the first climb one of my mates simply said “look at the plight of him” to our other mate. I felt fine, but the sweat was dripping off my nose at about two drops a second and I could feel more running down all around my face and neck. I got through five litres of fruit juice and water in a camelbak (refilled at pub where I also had a pint of lager shandy). I don’t recall going for a slash at all.

The fact of the matter was hot day + steep climbs + big hills + no tree cover + ales and curry night before = torrential sweat for whole ride. Five litres in and I wouldn’t mind betting the same out.

My water balance sometimes seems a bit odd to me too (after a big ride). I’ll do the usual very dark yellow wee first time of asking. Then I’ll rehydrate with water or whatever, but after a while (but seemingly not long enough to fully rehydrate) that will start going straight through me and I’ll do copious wees of very clear (good) stuff.

I dunno really, but pissing a lot of clear urine is infinitely better than getting dehydrated, so I’d always err on the side of drinking too much (within reason).

hooli

loddrik – Member
    My piss facility seems to shut down whilst riding.

This, I think the only time I stop when out cycling is when it is with the kids and 5 miles takes most of the afternoon!

amedias
    Free Member

I can understand taking in more water on a ride like that, ie: a very hot day with lots of big hills (even then 5 litres seems remarkable to me!) but as an everyday rule it just strikes me as very high.

Maybe I’m the odd one in not drinking as much!

ahwiles
    Free Member

i’m also a massive pi**er.

probably around 10mpp onroad, 5off.

it’s so inconvenient that i try not to drink much before or during a ride. This helps, but i still pi88 like a lake with a leak though.

(don’t seem to sweat much)

a medically minded friend of mine has suggested that it might because i’m getting cold* – blood flow is restricted to my skin – but has to go somewhere – so my body dumps water in an attempt to make room for it.

(*it is winter, and i do feel more comfortable cold than hot – so tend to underdress)

fr0sty125
    Free Member

once every 2-3 hours when riding

nedrapier

I don’t drink very much when I’m out compared to riding buddies and girlfriend-wifey-type thing, always put it down to one of those things, not sweating as much, maybe I’m fitter than the people I ride with.

Always suffered a bit from muscular/connective tissue overuse injuries. I went to see someone last night about my necka dn shoulders and she asked if I don’t sweat very much? Calcification from lactic acid and ting + scar tissue and adhesions. I’d have less of them if I sweated more and got that stuff out, apparently. Bad toxins management.

Pfff… 😐

parkesie
    Free Member

Thats alot of piss is this something ive got to look forward to in old age?

wwaswas

is this something ive got to look forward to in old age?

probably.

That and never getting a full nights sleep due to having to go to the loo at 3am.

My family are convinced I wee a pint every 3 hours at home “You go *forever* Daddy”

matther01
    Free Member

Only just before a ride due to too much tea…never when out riding (2-4 hours and 2l water consumed at least).

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)

The topic ‘my average miles per piss is 5MPP… what's yours?’ is closed to new replies.