Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • MX5 NB bike rack…. Saris Bones the go to?
  • alpin
    Free Member

Planning on going away Monday with the van.

GF starts it. Differential or the drive arm destroys itself. Doubt we’ll be taking the van on Monday considering tomorrow is a Bank Holiday.

The other option is the mx5.

Saris Bones can be had for around 120€ new, can’t find any second hand.

Anything else out there to consider…?

alpin
    Free Member

Oh… It needs to take two “enduro” bikes.

joemmo
    Free Member

Saris Bones are ok with open front triangle frames like a regular road bike but anything with a shock in there or a compact frame and they are a pain in the arse to fit your bike to IME.

alpin
    Free Member

Hmmm…. Bikes are Strive and Trance, so no shocks on the top tube…. Problemo?

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Is it a hardtop? Seasucker or rockbros?

andy5390

Make sure any contact points (if any) on the boot lid will spread the weight a bit. I’m pretty sure the boot lids on a 5 are aluminium , my NB was

Plenty rack info HERE

alpin
    Free Member

I thought it was the m 3 had an alu boot lid.

We’re driving across the alps from Munich to the dolomites. There is no way I’m putting the hardtop on….!

kelron
    Free Member

Used one on an MR2 Mk3. Worked for one bike but clearance was an issue, even with the outer attachment point on a Bones 2 front wheel would rest on the bumper. Probably not great with it obscuring the lights a bit either but never got pulled over. It might be better on an MX5 as the shape of the rear is less awkward.

I really don’t think I could have got 2 mountain bikes on there, even on a regular hatchback it was awkward, the Bones 3 might be better.

andy5390

God no. I drove through the Alps twice, en route to Corfu via Venice ferry. Most awesomest driving thing ever

alpin
    Free Member

Bump….

If I order this for it to be here by Monday I need to do it now. Bank Holiday today in Germany.

Saris Bones 3 bike rack for 150€.
    Figure I can send it back if I don’t need it, but can’t see the van being fixed in time….

Jamze

How does the cost of renting bikes there compare with hassle/cost of getting your bikes on the MX5? Or renting a van for the trip?

joemmo
    Free Member

If pressure on the body work is a concern then I’d look at racks that spread the load better than the Bones.

The design means most of the weight goes through the two lower feet and even hanging on nearly vertical MPV boot it will push on the panel and scuff the paint.

For me, it’s a product that sacrifices function for style. I think there’s better out there

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

I used a Bones 3 on my MX5 NB for years.
    Even had three bikes on it once – not bad considering the carry only carries two people.
    Bones 3 is better than the 2, puts the bikes further out.
    Have easily carried two mountain bikes, though full sus can be awkward/require swearing. You can make it work though.

Get some bungee cords to go between the wheels and the lower arms are re-tighten the straps after you’ve loaded the bikes. Pull them really hard! Also, wipe down the areas under the feet for grit etc else the paint can get scratched.
    oh, watch you don’t end up with a wheel over the exhaust or you can melt things!

ElShalimo

Just rent a van ?

monkeymax
    Free Member

I have had a Bones 3 for many years. (Though I’ve only used it a dozen or so times in that time…)
    Closest car I’ve had to the MX-5 is MR2s, but only used this on my Mk1… I have a photo somewhere of it on there but can’t find it now. I’ve used it to carry two bikes on the Mk1; a hardtail MTB and a light road bike and it was fine, but only with the two bikes at the furthest out position. It was much better with just one (MTB) bike than 2. The extra length of the Bones 3 over the 2 helped (which is why I bought that one) especially as it has to reach over the spoiler on the Mk1. It doesn’t inspire massive confidence but was fine at 70mph for a couple of hours. We’ve now got a Focus and an early Boxster; the Boxster doesn’t have flat enough panels for it to stay in place securely (I’ve tried and don’t like the way it sits) and the Focus has a small roof spoiler that the straps rub against quite badly, so it’s not as universal as it suggests. (and frankly, for security purposes I’d prefer the bike in the car anyway) I’d also say that if you’re really precious about your paintwork, clean the car before putting the Bones on; it’s got big rubber feet that it sits on and most the weight will go on the rear bumper.

Ultimately it’s not perfect but good. It’ll probably do fine for your trip but check everything is tight.

davea37

Had a Bones 2 on my NA MX-5 (essentially the same bootlid as the NB) and it was fine for carrying two bikes (full-sus and a hardtail). As others have said just make sure the straps are cinched down tight. I found the tie-down eyes underneath the rear bumper much more secure for the strap hooks than the flimsy plastic bumper itself. Make sure the rubber feet and bodywork are clean of any debris too, otherwise it’ll act like sandpaper when you’re moving…

alpin
    Free Member

How does the cost of renting bikes there compare with hassle/cost of getting your bikes on the MX5? Or renting a van for the trip?

Lots more than the cost of a bike rack. We’re staying in a hut the first week (Canazei) and then a campsite the week after (Paganella).

Would end up strapping tent and bits on top of the rack. Might be taking just the necessaries.

ElShalimo

can you use public transport?

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘MX5 NB bike rack…. Saris Bones the go to?’ is closed to new replies.