Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 59 total)
  • MX riders on trails
  • TroutWrestler
    Free Member

I was out at Pitmedden Forest (PKC/Fife boundary) today and there were 3 or more MX riders zipping about on the singletrack trails and the forest roads. Not too much damge as it is quite dry, but plenty of wheelspin/acceleration marks, and clear damage on some damper places.

I saw their vehicle, a Silver Transit, and got their reg. plate, along with photos of the MX tracks from the van.

I wasn’t sure who to report it to so I called 101 and spoke to Police Scotland – not expecting an instant response. The operator took the details and said that I had done the right thing by reporting it. Hopefully some action will result.

The long and short of it is if you see MX activity in places where they shouldn’t be, 101 is the number to use.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Can you go down to the local station and speak to someone? Get it logged but it’s then with the guy who will end up dealing with it.

TroutWrestler
    Free Member

It should be logged now. I will follow it up in a week or so. I will also let the FC office at Dunkeld know tomorrow. They were (understandably) closed at 5.45pm tonight.

samuri
    Free Member

well done, hopefully something will come of it.

101 is the number for all non-emergencies.
    Funnily enough I asked Greater Manchester Police what number to dial if someone tries to kill me with their car, they told me ‘101’. Not an emergency see. If they’ve got a knife, that’s 999, but two tons of metal, we’ll get round to it when we can.

I live in England, I ride on footpaths. I’d be a hypocrite to chastise MX riders really.

jamj1974

TheArtistFormerlyKnownAsSTR – Member
    I live in England, I ride on footpaths. I’d be a hypocrite to chastise MX riders really.
    POSTED 10 MINUTES AGO # REPORT-POST

Depends on whether you damage the trails…?

jamj1974

POSTED 10 MINUTES AGO # REPORT-POST

Depends on whether you damage the trails…?

Lifer
    Free Member

Nah.

fourbanger
    Free Member

MX is a sport. Were you on an MX circuit?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Take a look at the hills around Rochdale, thrashed by motorbikes and 4ft ruts all over the place.

calumf50
    Free Member

Came across three mx’rs today near blawith, never realised how much damage they do, but they were realy tearing it up 🙁

Ambrose

I hate the damage they do but I’d love to have a go again- it’s been years since I last rode one.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Thanks, will start dialling 101 whenever If I see mountain bikes riding where they shouldn’t (every day) The Police will never be able to do anything else though mind.

globalti
    Free Member

Crosser and 4×4 damage on the hills above Rochdale:

Andy-R

globalti – Member
    Crosser and 4×4 damage on the hills above Rochdale:

Probably enduro/trail bikes rather than motocross bikes though, like in most of these “MX’er damage”threads.

fivespot
    Free Member

Problem with being offroad on a motorbike, is, you are instantly tagged as an outlaw. Whether on a legal bike on a CLASSIFIED road or a MX rider just out to rip up land with his mates. There seems to be very few people who know the difference in bike types,Trials, Trail, Enduro or MX etc. legal or not.

neilm
    Free Member

At Easter a local greenlane motorbike club got special permission to use some woods in West Somerset that we often ride through. We have just come back from a weeks holiday down there and I have had to report one of the Bridleways to the local Rights of Way officer as impassible, and the woods are now criss crossed with motorcycle tracks.

It appears that the guys riding in the woods did not know about it until the club rode through there, as we have been riding down there for a few years now and never seen any damage before, just the occasional set of tyre tracks, now they are starting to do real damage.

These woods do not belong to the Forestry Commission, they are private, and the local council have worked hard to get open access to the paths for walkers, horses and cyclists, it wouldn’t surprise me to see the whole place locked up tight or some kind of barriers in place the next time we go down there.

As a motorcyclist, as well as cyclist and horse rider, I am saddened and at the same time unsurprised that given an inch, some guys have decided to take a mile which ultimately could to lead to total closure.

GrahamS

There seems to be very few people who know the difference in bike types,Trials, Trail, Enduro or MX etc. legal or not.

Not sure what you officially call those little mini motorbikes, but I’m pretty sure they are not supposed to be blitzing along the shared use path through a park and past a kids playground, as they were doing the other day 👿

Probably should have reported them but I’ve seen the same feral kids riding that bike on the road with all three of them balanced on it, no helmets, going as fast as that poor little engine could take them!

So for their own sake they are probably better off on the path, I just hope no one else has to suffer the consequences.

bikebouy
    Free Member

A small part of one of my local routes has just been infested by Quad bikes, they’ve dug some pretty big ruts in an area of about 200sq mtrs leading from a disused road into woods and out again onto a closed off road. They’ve had some fun zipping around the woods and turfed up nothing more than brambles and nettle beds in what looks like a mini track they are trying to make.
    If I wasn’t so free an easy thinking I might complain, but I’m not, I’m going to leave them to get bored of riding a very small space off road.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Semantics, but, maybe (hard to say without asking them) they identified themselves as MX’ers, but out for a day on their enduro bikes? lLke ‘footballers’ driving RangeRovers round Cheshire despite clearly not playing football at the same time? Or maybe they were MX bikes, let’s be honest the difference between a WR250f (enduro) and a YR250f (MX) is a high compession piston, a stiffer suspesnion tune and a bigger rear rim, not exactly somethings the casual observer can pick up at the side of the trail?

Problem with being offroad on a motorbike, is, you are instantly tagged as an outlaw. Whether on a legal bike on a CLASSIFIED road or a MX rider just out to rip up land with his mates. There seems to be very few people who know the difference in bike types,Trials, Trail, Enduro or MX etc. legal or not.

Yes, but if you’re doing it legaly it’s a non issue (lest’s assume for a moment the law isn’t an ass, and if it’s legal then the ‘classified road’ is sustainable, or the land being used with the owners permission isn’t somwhere that’ll impact others), if you’re doing it illegaly, it’s possibly the opposite.

chakaping
    Free Member

Semantics, but, maybe (hard to say without asking them) they identified themselves as MX’ers, but out for a day on their enduro bikes? lLke ‘footballers’ driving RangeRovers round Cheshire despite clearly not playing football at the same time? Or maybe they were MX bikes, let’s be honest the difference between a WR250f (enduro) and a YR250f (MX) is a high compession piston, a stiffer suspesnion tune and a bigger rear rim, not exactly somethings the casual observer can pick up at the side of the trail?

Brilliant response. That’ll teach him to get pedantic.

😉

wwaswas

Probably enduro/trail bikes rather than motocross bikes

I suspect most of us wouldn’t be able to tell the difference?

Like asking a rambler if the mtber they saw was on an XC bike or an Enduro one?

timmys

I thought enduro bikes would be road legal so would have lights and number plates, or is that wrong? Vehicles riding byways have to be road legal don’t they?

D0NK

saw some trials* bike riders in the local park on friday on my way home, bit of a quandary about reporting them, they aint allowed on there but pretty sure I’m not either. Thing is they are tearing the place up. Fair enough everyone makes a mess when it’s wet but the trails are dry so walkers riders and horserists can and do pass by with no noticeable trace, these guys couldn’t manage it tho.

*maybe, dunno, i am not a motorised bicycle expert.

thepodge
    Free Member

Since they closed some of the legal tracks out in the Peak I’ve encountered more & more off road bikes on bridalways, they’ve all been polite & courteous and generally on BWs that can sustain them.

Only issue I’ve ever had with them is one wouldn’t splash Pook even though there were 3 of us egging him on.

I have however had loads of walkers (not ramblers) cursing & swearing & purposefully getting in their way

project
    Free Member

If its private or public land, then the riders need insurance, and permission in writin gfrom the land owner.

Our local police frequently do trawls around local land, and arrest the riders and crush their bikes, seen fully grown men crying at seeing their bikes being seized by the police and told theyre going to be crushed.

But then the bikes are also used in gun crime, and a few lads have been killed by hiting things like trees and lamposts.

corsair
    Free Member

Vehicles riding byways have to be road legal don’t they?

Yes, taxed, insured, compliant with the construction and use regulations, etc. As far as those sorts of things are concerned, all the trackways that motorbikes can legally use (e.g. Byway Open To All Traffic) are essentially roads that just happen to be unsurfaced, so most of the same rules apply.

Enduro motorbikes generally are constructed to be road legal as they can be required to use public roads as liaisons between stages at some events, e.g. the Enduro World Championship. Course, that doesn’t mean they’ve been kept legal after they were bought, and they still need number plate, insurance, etc. Motocross bikes are not usually road legal when bought as they have no need to be, but they can be made road legal.

Rough guide – if it has a number plate and a tax disk (if you get close enough to see that) the bike is likely to be road legal (no guarantees of course). If it has no number plate it’s clearly not road legal and can’t be used on any public right of way. If it’s being ridden on a restricted byway, bridleway or footpath it’s not allowed to be there, so is being ridden illegally even if it has tax, insurance etc.

If you see something that’s clearly illegal it is worth reporting it. I trail ride motorbikes but I have no sympathy for anyone riding an illegal bike, riding where they shouldn’t be, or generally making a nuisance of themselves, because all it does is reinforce the impression that all off road bikers are hooligans and even more of the 5% of routes that we can currently use end up closed to us (which is actually pointless as the idiots causing the trouble are by definition people who don’t care about breaking the law, so it doesn’t stop them anyway).

D0NK has a good point though. If you report motorbikes for being somewhere they’re not supposed to be, but you also use it and bicycles aren’t allowed either, there is a danger of getting caught up in any action the police take (assuming they do anything at all…). Caveat Reportor, or something. :mrgreen:

cr500dom
    Free Member

mikewsmith – Member

Take a look at the hills around Rochdale, thrashed by motorbikes and 4ft ruts all over the place

Therefore it must be the bikes…… 🙄

Standard response by most people, and used to great effect by the Rambliars association to divide and conquer….

(all user groups should have stood against them, what has happened to trail riding will now happen to horse riding and MTBs)

That (4ft deep) would be seat deep on a Crosser, I think you`ll find that the only thing that can make ruts that deep is a Tractor

The fact it has Knobbly tyre tracks going in to the rut does not mean the bike created the rut

You don’t have a lot of choice once the rut is formed than to ride it, as getting caught up in it once you are moving or getting cross rutted (One wheel in each rut) is really no fun at all 😯

Many of us ride “Cheeky trails” on an MTB, many of us used to do the same on trail bikes, some of us even understand why there are more MX bikes on trails now that there were before the victimisation of trail riders
    (You may as well be hung for a sheep as a lamb etc, and its a lot easier to outrun a bobby on a DRZ400 if you are on a proper Crosser)

mikewsmith
    Free Member

4ft may be an exaggeration but the countless deep ruts running up the steepest side of hills with normal tractor access in other places. That and seeing them at it.

You don’t have a lot of choice once the rut is formed than to ride it, as getting caught up in it once you are moving or getting cross rutted (One wheel in each rut) is really no fun at all

Well you could avoid riding up said steep hillside with no right of way at all on it?

Giving people the responsibility to decide what is reasonable and responsible doesn’t always seem to work.

yunki
    Free Member

The argument that we should all stick together, or they’ll come for you next is utter bollocks.

The damage caused by a group of motorised vehicles is blatantly much moe destructive than horses or bikes, even by careful and considerate motor enthusiasts.. To argue that it isn’t is childish.
    the let’s all stick together thing is absolutely ridiculous.. I don’t want anything to do with you

I don’t disapprove of you right to use certain routes and have certain access rights.. but I never want to see you on the same trails as me, or dragging us into your battle.. Guilty by association and all that

It’s not just ‘the nasty ramblers’ picking on you. . No-one likes you

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

all user groups should have stood against them, what has happened to trail riding will now happen to horse riding and MTBs

Can you actually provide one shred of evidence for this? The number of places to ride seems to be growing rather than shrinking.

D0NK

there is a danger of getting caught up in any action the police take (assuming they do anything at all…). Caveat Reportor, or something.

it was more the moral quandary I was thinking of than repercussions, however I’ve checked and according to OS it’s a “traffic free cycle route”.

Unfortunately my commute is one of those spurious trails that switches designation at random intervals bw/tfcr/fp/tfcr/fp but some of the fp sections are NCN so dunno whether my map is out of date or it’s the usual ROW silly buggers

thepodge
    Free Member

Yunki, clearly you are wrong as there are a couple of motorbike riders on this thread

Rights of way are not determined by suitability so the damage argument holds not water

As electric bikes become more and more popular it’ll be harder to distinguish between mountain bikes & motor bikes… That’s when we’ll all get lumped together & talk of banning bikes, regardless of their power source will significantly increase.

BoardinBob

Saw a couple of guys on motorbikes on the trails in Torridon last week. Around the start of the Achnashellach descent. I was surprised and didn’t think that was legal???

dazzlingboy

Superb. Replace the words “MX” with “MTB” and you turn this thread into a page from Rambler’sTrackWorld.

How many threads are there on here about cheeky trails, trail building, riding footpaths etc, yet when someone else does it it is time for pitchforks and Bombers!?

wwaswas

Replace the words “MX” with “MTB” and you turn this thread into a page from Rambler’sTrackWorld.

you don’t think most people on here are aware of that and behave accordingly?

I ride ‘sensitive’ bits around me either at night or on quiet days.

I avoid some places altogether when they’re wet as I know I’ll leave tyre marks.

The problem with motorbikes is that the evidence they leave is always visible and even if you don’t see them you can hear when they’re about.

gusamc
    Free Member

I wonder if the problem would be quite so bad if the taxpayer funded lots and lots of custom designed trail centres for them to ride at for free. Probably cause a few issues on the road though, it’d be tricky getting past all the audis with trailers left out to avoid paying parking fees.

dazzlingboy

evidence they leave is always visible

Yep – I just posted about the evidence that MTB riders leave behind on another thread (Glentress).

People in glass houses……

yunki
    Free Member

another striking difference..

an mtb puts out what..? 40 – 50rpm..? as opposed to 6000rpm
    and the difference in horsepower..?
    weight..?

you can come out with silly, meaningless ner ner ner ner ner hypocrisy arguments as much as you like but the fact still remains that motorbikes are very effective tools for causing destruction to trails..

mtbs just aren’t

dazzlingboy

mtbs just aren’t

Well reasoned argument – thanks. Horseriders/ramblers/others may disagree with that.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 59 total)

The topic ‘MX riders on trails’ is closed to new replies.