Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 171 total)
  • Must un-hip, cred-free album that you still just love
  • Premier Icon fazzini

Nobody admitting to owning any Country and Western then?

Does Shania Twain Come on Over count?

Premier Icon tenfoot

But that is why it’s not mentioned on this thread – Love Over Gold *is* cool… And anyone who says different is wrong.

Dire Straits cool? 😆

Premier Icon footflaps

Does Shania Twain Come on Over count?

I have the CD somewhere, but haven’t listened to it or her for ages….

Premier Icon andylc
    Free Member

Haven’t read all the other replies yet so apologies if this is already there, but every now and then I love listening to Marillion’s Misplaced Childhood from beginning to end. Pretty uncool I still think this is an awesome album, even if it is about as uncool as it gets, ie a prog rock concept album.

Premier Icon footflaps

Has anyone mentioned Phil Collins yet? We had post PG Genesis.

I absolutely love No Jacket Required!

Premier Icon funkmasterp

Jolene doesn’t count.

In my opinion probably one of the best songs ever written.

Premier Icon slowoldman

Yes me. I sort of segued into it via Bluegrass. Ideally Emmylou Harris or Bonnie Riatt or Buddy Miller. Just not that “Hot Country” rubbish. Yes Garth Brooks I’m looking at you.

Premier Icon corroded
    Free Member

The second album I ever bought was Bon Jovi’s Slippery When Wet. Definitely cred-free but still rocks in a sing-along sort of way. The first album I bought was Pet Shop Boys’ Introspective but I still think that’s pretty hip.

Premier Icon CountZero
    Free Member

It is a great record, but it ain’t cool.

Yes. It is. He ignored the calls to boycott South Africa, went there to work with Black South African musicians, and brought the likes of Ladysmith Black Mambazo to an international audience.

That’s cool.

OK I won’t mention King Crimson then.

@P7eaven
    – start with ‘In The Court Of…’, then check out ‘Discipline’, ‘Starless And Bible Black’ and ‘Red’.

Particularly ‘Starless’ on ‘Red’, which is stunning.

It was fifty years after first hearing ITCOTCK before I got to see them live, in London on the 50th Anniversary Tour.

Premier Icon p7eaven
    Free Member

I love that Chris Rea song where he’s operating a motor-vehicle homewards in keen anticipation of a seasonal feast!

Premier Icon el_boufador
    Free Member

Am I allowed Bad Boy Chiller Crew?

Premier Icon Cougar
    Free Member

I think Vega might be my new favourite thing, today. The horse song sounds like what might happen if Def Leppard entered Eurovision.

What are they, Swedish? Dutch?

Premier Icon Cougar
    Free Member

Hah, crap, they’re from here! Who knew.

Premier Icon eddiebaby

Asmoto Running Band by Principal Edwards Mahic Theatre.

Premier Icon Rubber_Buccaneer
    Free Member

I’ve got it so why not

Flaunt It

Premier Icon tomparkin
    Free Member

Yes. It is. He ignored the calls to boycott South Africa, went there to work with Black South African musicians, and brought the likes of Ladysmith Black Mambazo to an international audience.

Agreed. However to this day there are still disputes about the ownership/copyright of some of the tracks on the record. It’s perhaps a mixed bag at best.

Anyway, I respect the adjudication of the OP and will say no more.

Gracelands is hip and cred-ful 👍

Premier Icon teenrat
    Free Member

From watching Robin of Sherwood as a lad, i regularly have a listen to Legend by Clannad.

Premier Icon footflaps

What are they, Swedish? Dutch?

Brummies!

Can recommend their ‘Who we are’ album.

Premier Icon Cougar
    Free Member

That’s some Brummie accent, he sounds like Joey Tempest.

Premier Icon ThurmanMerman
    Free Member

Script For A Jester’s Tear – Marillion.

<<END OF THREAD>>

Still love it, still play it, still turn it up to 11.

[EDIT]

Love Over Gold by Dire Straits – Telegraph Rd is a work of genius. Also reminds me of my late Dad.

Same. Dad’s favourite album. He didn’t get much time to himself, but he played Love Over Gold every Saturday morning. Fond memories of it thumping through my bedroom floor.

Premier Icon Cougar
    Free Member

Brothers in Arms gets all the glory, but Love Over Gold is simply a masterpiece.

I’ve had a thread idea in my head now for a couple of years, “you’ve been listening to the wrong album all this time.”

Premier Icon chipps
    Free Member

What a thread!

I have sooo many of the albums mentioned. Talking of Dire Straits, I’m very partial to ‘Badges, Posters, Stickers and T-Shirts’ the B-side to Private Investigations…

But in my attempt to bring in a thread-closer, I am still a huge fan of the album…

Heartbeat  –  By Don Johnson…

It has it all! The video of the title single has Dweezil Zappa playing guitar (though he actually played guitar on a different track, fact-fans…) but the rest of the album has ’80s class too: there are TWO tracks that feature Stevie Ray Vaughan, there’s a duet with Willie Nelson… What more could you ask for? 🙂

Premier Icon stevomcd
    Free Member

I love Dire Straits, but definitely couldn’t claim them to be cooL.

Read a good interview with Knopfler once and he clearly struggled himself with the occasionally over-produced, (over?) ambitious nature of some of their stuff. He had a good quote about sitting in a bar and Telegraph Road coming on the jukebox. It was followed by “Rave On” by Buddy Holly and he just felt utterly depressed by the immediacy, vibrancy and simplicity of it by comparison.

Matt_outandabout – Rain Town is a work of genius. Dignity (in Scotland at least) surely transcends all notions of cool or hip. Fond memories of belting it out in an (otherwise!) quiet bar in Tignes with another long ex-patriated Scot after (remotely) attending a friend’s funeral last year.

Premier Icon IHN

Love Over Gold is simply a masterpiece.

Beaten only by

Heartbeat – By Don Johnson…

I mean, wow…

Premier Icon nbt
    Free Member

Heartbeat – By Don Johnson…

got a copy of that too

Premier Icon zzjabzz
    Free Member

Thought about, just for the craic, dropping in some albums that I know people on here will love but looks like I’ve been well and truly beaten to that scheme. Cards on the table, I love ‘The Crunch-era’ Rah Band stuff…

Premier Icon twonks

In a similar manner to the above.

Listened to this album loads when it came out and genuinely thought it was great.
    Tried again and it certainly grates.

Premier Icon footflaps

Tried again and it certainly grates.

Understatement of the century!

I vaguely recall liking that way back then…

On the same subject, reminds me of Robson & Jerome…

Premier Icon nickc

I think if the musicians involved take themselves far far too seriously but still manage to produce either: Over blown thinly disguised rip off of Beethoven – all Prog or; despite quite impressive individual skills – M.O.R. 4 bar R&R – All hair metal from the Eighties, then you’re well on the way to both un-hip and cred-free.

Premier Icon jambourgie
    Free Member

Crocodile Shoes gets all the attention but the real Jimmy Nail bomb is ‘Ain’t No Doubt’.

I’ve not been able to post a YouTube video since they change the forum so you’ll have to hum it.

Premier Icon cinnamon_girl

Missed them first time round unfortunately but they made some great albums in the 70’s.

Graham Parker & The Rumour.

Premier Icon scuttler
    Free Member

Slim Dusty (I lived in Country NSW for a while)

Not hip, soooo coooool, still played (on Spotify) –

A bit of love for Propaganda up there. Check out https://www.theguardian.com/music/2022/may/24/the-return-of-propaganda-susanne-freytag-claudia-brucken-ztt

Premier Icon CountZero
    Free Member

but Love Over Gold is simply a masterpiece.

Only let down by the inclusion of ‘Industrial Disease’. Thankfully, CD allowed me to skip that track, and I didn’t include it in the download on my phone.

Over blown thinly disguised rip off of Beethoven – all Prog

#rollseyes.  There’s more heavy rock that involves orchestra, for example Deep Purple, or even ELO;  true, some Prog got very self-indulgent, ‘Tales From Topographic Oceans’ being the classic example, it’s really up its own ass – it needs a proctologist to check its teeth for cavities – but most Prog owes more to jazz than anything else; Gentle Giant, Greenslade, Soft Machine, King Crimson, Gnidrolog, Caravan, all are far more jazz influenced, with very little classical. Gentle Giant has more influences from madrigals than classical.

A few notes from a Mellotron, and it’s a Beethoven knock-off?

Back on topic, I’ve been trying really hard to think of anything that’s ‘un-hip, cred-free’, that I still love, and I don’t think there is. Black Sabbath I used to enjoy, haven’t listened to them in years, I bought a T’pau CD on the strength of a single, played it once. ABBA, perhaps, but all my favourite songs of theirs are on their last album, and aren’t their big hits – possibly the nearest I get. The only music I ever heard growing up was on the radio, through the 1960’s, so lots of classic pop, until 1969 when I borrowed King Crimson’s ’In The Court Of The Crimson King’ and ‘21st Century Schizoid Man’ changed everything. Things like Tangerine Dream, Faust, Zeppelin, Deep Purple, Jethro Tull, the Prog bands above, as well as folk, I’m led by what I hear, if I like it, great, I don’t care what it is, or what anyone else thinks, ‘hip’, and ‘cred’, mean absolutely nothing. Only the hairs on the back of my neck standing up  – actually, that’s made me think of one album that I’ve adored after reading a review in a hi-Fi magazine about its quality of production, and it’s never been considered to be the best by the artist, and that’s’Hearts And Bones’, by Paul Simon. It was supposed to be a Simon & Garfunkel record, but Artie was doing a movie or something, Simon got pissed off, removed the bits Artie had done, and put it out as a solo album. It’s never listed in a top five or ten of Simon’s albums, but I think it’s one of his finest.

Whatever, I’ve just read an article about a new Album by an artist called Amanda Shires, who I know nothing about, but I’ve listened to a track called ‘A Hawk For The Dove’, and went all tingly, so I’m just going to download the album. Hip, cred? Dunno, you tell me, but I’m liking what I hear.

Premier Icon misteralz
    Free Member

@10 the very idea that Prisoner is lacking cred! It’s one of the best debut albums ever. I utterly love it.

Premier Icon finbar
    Free Member

Am I allowed Bad Boy Chiller Crew?

Ding ding – we have a winner! A group that started out as a parody but segued into being ‘serious’ artists when their audience expanded enough to stop noticing the joke. That is despicably lacking credibility 😀

Premier Icon Cougar
    Free Member

Only let down by the inclusion of ‘Industrial Disease’.

Oh, I like Industrial Disease, it’s a bit of silliness to lighten it up. And it has the surprisingly profound lyric “two men think they’re Jesus… one of them must be wrong” which I think is a fantastic quote.

I thought “It Never Rains” was the weak spot. It’s just kind of… bland as an album closer.

Premier Icon footflaps

Jean Michelle Jarre Forgot all about him – had a few of his albums on cassette back in the 80s.

Did all sound a bit samey after a while and all the track titles were just the albumn name followed by a number – so probably not a surprise it wasn’t very varied…..

Premier Icon funkmasterp

Whatever, I’ve just read an article about a new Album by an artist called Amanda Shires, who I know nothing about, but I’ve listened to a track called ‘A Hawk For The Dove’, and went all tingly, so I’m just going to download the album. Hip, cred? Dunno, you tell me, but I’m liking what I hear.

@countzero
    OT but she is fantastic. She plays in the 400 unit, is married to Jason Isbell (another fine musician and songwriter) and plays in another band called The Highwomen. She did some brilliant live sets with Jason from their barn throughout lockdown. Well worth watching on YouTube

Premier Icon gauss1777
    Free Member

I’m a massive fan of this. I have the LP so fits the remit. Nobody I have ever played it to has lasted long so I think it counts.

I absolutely love the Tommy soundtrack. I even think Oliver Reed’s singing is fantastic. The Who’s Tommy is one of my favourite albums, but the soundtrack album is great also.

As for unhip albums, I’m somewhat partial to:

Premier Icon sadmadalan
    Free Member

Little bit concerned about two points, Firstly from the title of the thread, my first thought was Debbie Gibson. But already mentioned. Secondly a lot of the albums mentioned I own on vinyl. What does it say about me (and the other members of the STW collective).

But if we are going uncool, I like to enter Script for a Jester’s Tear by Marilliom. What a load of twaddle. Still gets a regular outing

Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 171 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Thanks for popping by - why not stay a while?IT'S FREE

Sign up as a Singletrack Member and you can leave comments on stories, use the classified ads, and post in our forums, do quizzes and more.

Join us, join in, it’s free, and fun.