Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 171 total)
  • Must un-hip, cred-free album that you still just love
  • fazzini

Wow, even for Billy Joel (and I’m a bit of a fan), that’s an out there choice.

Yes, but, Leningrad 😉

slowoldman

Duran Duran

Cougar

Ooh, the forum embeds Spotify!

Debbie Gibson – Electric Youth
    Johnny Hates Jazz – Turn Back the Clock

Guilty on both counts.

(How on earth is Hysteria uncool?!)

Cougar

Don’t encourage him…

Aww. Sadface.

sas78

Di’Anno did Killers and Iron Maiden albums before Bruce Bruce was brought in.

I stand by the Supergrass choice. I should Coco is a “cooler” album but they were never a cool band. Just saying. Excellence and coolness do not necessarily equate with each other.

llama

Love me a bit of neil diamond, not sure what he is measuring up on that cover there, but whatever it is I like it.

And queen, any era really

How about:

Am off to see these lot on Thursday:

IHN

Excellence and coolness do not necessarily equate with each other.

But, as explained with Graceland, excellence generally means credibility, so it fails the cred-free test.

How on earth is Hysteria uncool?!

Well, I’m guessing it was in your CD collection, ergo quod erat demonstrandum, dear boy, quod erat demonstrandum.

Cougar

Shithead.

😁

Cougar

Nominally NSFW but I amended that Neil Diamond cover.

chakaping
    Free Member

How about a bit of Debbie Gibson, remixed by one of the coolest men in dance music (Louie Vega)?

You can’t hear it quite so well on this, but on the original version the drum intro sounds a lot like Apache.

jambourgie
    Free Member

I’m a massive fan of this. I have the LP so fits the remit. Nobody I have ever played it to has lasted long so I think it counts.

jambourgie
    Free Member

How about a bit of Debbie Gibson, remixed by one of the coolest men in dance music (Louie Vega)?

So not un-hip or cred-free then.

Anecdotally – I personally love MAW/Kenny & Louie. When I used to tell people about the new Louie Vega remix they’d say something like: “oh yeah, I know. Loved Mambo No5”

🙂

jamj1974

Graceland – Paul Simon

p7eaven
    Free Member

chakaping
    Free Member

So not un-hip or cred-free then.

Debbie has several mentions up the thread, if you’d care to review it.

nbt

Do. I (finally) caught them live a couple of years ago any they were, well, exactly what you’d expect and hope.

Saw them in 1989 or thereabouts just when the album came out, when they came to play in Wigan. Excellent gig for a young lad like me

I was tempted, until they booted Spike

Oh I wasn’t aware that happened, I haven’t kept up. They’re playing a festival near me, not really that tempted by the rest of the bill tbh (apart from maybe Wayward Sons, they were great when I sae them supporting Living Colour) so I’mnot gonna spend a fortune on a 3 day ticket (or even a one day ticket) but might wander along the public footpath across the valley and listen in…

Edit – this suggests otherwise, and the three “current” members are names that ring bells for me as original members?
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Quireboys#Members

Northwind

Pop by U2. It’s not even a good U2 album but it’s the one that stayed in my head.
    Everything by Carter USM- the definition of un-hip and cred free.

submarined
    Free Member

Kate Nash – Made of Bricks. It’s just a bloody great pop album.

Yes, yes it is.

IHN

Graceland – Paul Simon

By this point in the thread, multiple fail…

Kate Nash – Made of Bricks. It’s just a bloody great pop album.

I bit my lip when this was first posted, but I bought that album off the back of Foundations, which is a bloody great pop song, and thought the rest was absolutely terrible. Like, really terrible. But, different strokes for different folks and all that.

nbt

I stand with Nettles, I made the same mistake

Probably this.

2JEZABELSPRISONER020312

Cougar

Well, that started poorly and then went nowhere.

😁

p7eaven
    Free Member

Did my Prefab Sprout LP get reported/moderated?

(trying again)

Not a bad song on it

madhouse

a few of my non-hip artists have recently got a bit hip (looking at you Bear’s Den with your new album going in at no.6), but I’ve still a good backbone of unhipness to fall back on:

Les Rythmes Digitales : Darkdancer
    Bush : Sixteen stone
    Moist : Silver
    Offspring : Ignition

and many, many, many more 😀

chakaping
    Free Member

Les Rythmes Digitales

I don’t think Stuart Price really belongs on this thread.

One of the most-accomplished dance music producers and he’s kept his integrity while working with loads of really big names (he did some of Kylie & Madonna’s best stuff).

madhouse

One of the most-accomplished dance music producers and he’s kept his integrity while working with loads of really big names

True. But I guess it all depends on your definition of ‘hip’. Obviously you and I think it’s a belter of an album, but if I played it to the sub-25’s in the office they’d definitely say un-hip.

tomparkin

Graceland – Paul Simon

No, you’re not allowed that, Paul Simon is too cool 😀

footflaps

How on earth is Hysteria uncool?!

If you like DL and Hysteria, you should check out Vega. They’re massive DL fans and very DL-ish. They recently covered Animal – not a bad rendition either…

chakaping
    Free Member

True. But I guess it all depends on your definition of ‘hip’. Obviously you and I think it’s a belter of an album, but if I played it to the sub-25’s in the office they’d definitely say un-hip.

Good point but I assume it means “was hip at the time and not generally seen as uncool now”. He was very bloody hip and I suspect his early 80s-themed electro stuff might go down even better with the kids today.

Going off topic, but his Fabric mix CD was a breath of fresh air…

IHN

They recently covered Animal – not a bad rendition either…

Now, I’m all for interesting cover versions, and I’m quite partial to a bit of Dl/Hysteria, but that’s exactly, like, exactly, the same as the original. What’s the point of that?

footflaps

What’s the point of that?

I guess a homage to their idols?

Seen them a few times live – very impressive. They just don’t seem to have a lot of traction.

Some original work – with a random horse in the video – prob because that’s all the budget stretched to…

maccruiskeen

^ I used to love Jeff Wayne’s war of the worlds…. until about 15 years ago when a Peruvian waiter who lived downs stairs from me would relax at the end of his restaurant shift by listening to it at full belt until 2am, every night, until the night when we had a discussion about it and  I pulled all the fuses out of his fuse box.

Anyway. Back in my college days me and a friend used to buy each other crap records from charity shops – all ways awful until on the same day I bought him an album of fairground organs tunes hand he bought me Zitherpops 2 – which we both loved and both still have 30 years later

the sleeve notes alone are worth the 25p

the electronic zither, the only one in the whole world, created an instrument which lends sound and swing to dull parties.

The medleys are ageless, the music, however, is suitable to the period. “With this music I am really happy”, says the trained trumpeter and violinist. And happy will be the various generations whom Wolf adresses with this album. “Zither-fiends” will not get one more in. The sound of Hubert Wolf is much too grand, too convincing – simple startlingly modern. Even stiff dolls will unbend.

greyspoke
    Free Member

Don’t get me started on prog

OK I won’t mention King Crimson then.

matt_outandabout

with the benefit of hindsight I think U2 had the edge

Wheyhey!

I’m not sure where folk view:

twonks

Pretty much everything mentioned so far just says nearly all those that commented grew up through the 80s into the 90s 😂

Me too and I love most of what has been mentioned.

Two of my favourite groups ever are Pet Shop Boys and Erasure. They are both very uncool with my 20 something daughters, so I guess might fit the brief.

Stainypants

@twonks they were my favourites in the late 80s. I think I have about 7 different 12” of A little Respect, but I gave up on the in the early 90’s. In 1994 I was mostly listening to early chemical brothers, Underworld, Goldie, Orbital whatever Andy Westherall was remixing/producing at the time but one of favourites which I came too at the time which i still love is George Micheal – Listen without prejudice

p7eaven
    Free Member

King Crimson then

Still don’t get them them for some reason, it’s a mystery! Will try again. Genesis, Rush, Yes, Soft Machine, Gong, Can, Guru Guru, Nektar, Gentle Giant, all that stuff – and even Magma’s 1978 lineup!

Cougar

I guess it all depends on your definition of ‘hip’.

If we’re at that point, “hip” was no longer a cool word before I was born.

Nor was “cool” come to that.

tenfoot

A couple

Broadcast by Cutting Crew – but mainly because it reminds of a girl I was seeing at the time

Love Over Gold by Dire Straits – Telegraph Rd is a work of genius. Also reminds me of my late Dad.

rak
    Free Member

Nobody admitting to owning any Country and Western then?
    Jolene doesn’t count.

matt_outandabout

Love Over Gold by Dire Straits – Telegraph Rd is a work of genius. Also reminds me of my late Dad.

But that is why it’s not mentioned on this thread – Love Over Gold *is* cool… And anyone who says different is wrong.

I’ve also a thing for some trancy/dancy stuff that I should probably post on this thread

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 171 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.