Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • "Must Do" Scottish rides – not 7 Stanes
  • agentdagnamit
    Free Member

So, we’re finally riding in Scotland this year, 2 weeks in a campervan so can move around easily. I’ve done plenty of hiking and climbing, but no riding there.

What big mountain climbs and descents do folk recommend? Stob Ban was in MBR recently, which has sentimental value to me and Ms AD, but I was really looking at further north and less busy with walkers.

We’ll definitely get as far as Torridon.

thanks

mikewsmith
    Free Member

[video]http://vimeo.com/67430580[/video]
    [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5csF51JkpI[/video]

feckinlovebbq
    Free Member

Torridon is AWESOME!!!!! Its very hard on bikes.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    agentdagnamit
    Free Member

Being hard on my bike is OK, getting hold of a helicopter isnt…

kennyp
    Free Member

Torridon is awesomely good. The Beinn a’Ghlo circuit is a classic too. Glen Feshie and Carn Ban More is another must do.

kcal

Minigaig loop. 50 miles off-road, 100 yards tarmac. Can divert and bag a Munro too.

agentdagnamit
    Free Member

9 hour drive to Torridon to ride on the road……

Northwind

Get up to kinlochleven, do one run down Ciaran Path, then ride out the other side of town, up past the Mamore Lodge, and do the 2 descents used in the Dudes of Hazard Enduros:

http://www.mtbtrails.info/Trail_Venue.aspx?VenueNumber=35#TrailNumber360

Best non-purpose-built riding I’ve done anywhere. Not so much big mountain, though, you’re starting from sea level and riding up into the mamores but you never get that high.

superdan

Up the Devil’s Staircase from Glencoe, drop down to the Blackwater dam, scoot across the bottom, down the Ciaran (sp?) Path into Kinlochleven.

😀

doubledunter
    Free Member
    agentdagnamit
    Free Member

Ah yes, Devils Staircase – been up the Mamores that way in Winter, never on a bike though.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

What about a 3 day cairngorm tour? Jose mctavish once posted up his pics for the 200k route and it looked fantastic, never done it myself, but it’s on the list for sure.

turbo1397
    Free Member

You could do the tour de ben nevis route.. 80k and really challenging..

scotroutes
    mattbibbings
    Free Member

What Superdan said but then back up the West highland way and back down the Devils staircase to where you started. Awesome.

fergal
    Free Member

Ben Vorlich (Callander) is reet bo.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Ben Vorlich (Callander) is reet bo.

Was a bit of a disappointment tbh, but apparently there is a better alternative by heading over from Vorlich to stuc a chroin?

epicyclo

Anywhere North of the Great Glen

tomd
    Free Member

Of the stuff I’ve done:

– Ben Alder Loop. Start at Dalwhinnie. Some really nice singletrack, big mountains, bothies and a good hike-a-bike
    – Sligachan out and back on Skye. 10km of challenging but rideable rocky fun.
    – Anything in Torridon.
    – Durnish Peninsula on Skye. Riding along big high cliffs with mountains in the distance.
    – Ben Lomond. It’s just fun.
    – Pitlochry. Lots of route options but some fantastic riding and great variety of terrain. Forests, rivers, mountains and moors all in one ride.

stevious

If you do want to go and do Carn Ban Mor then be aware that the descent now has a sarcastic amount of water bars on it. Some I’ve spoken to think that it’s fine but I didn’t think it was that much fun (basically the same manouvre over and over again interspersed with stopping to fix pinch flats).

Mount Keen is an excellent there & back or if you want a big day you can turn it into a loop with the Fungle Road. Accessible from either the North (Ballater-ish) or South (Glen Mark).

There’s some great riding around the Ardverikie estate, which is where Glen Bogle is from Monarch of the Glen. A good place to explore if you’re planing on spending a day at Wolftrax and want to stay in the area.

Another vote for the Tour de Ben Nevis route. one of the more complete days of mountain biking you’re likely to have, or even a fairly relaxed 2-day affair with a stop in Kinlochleven.

alandavidpetrie79
    Free Member

Very envious of you OP – id love to do a trip like that!

torihada
    Free Member

I’m also planning a trip to NW Scotland for 8 next July. Itinerary so far:

1. Laggan Wofltrax.
    2. Kinlocheven loop 26 miles finish Ciaran Path
    3. Torridon circuit: 29 miles
    4. Torridon. guided
    5. Torridon. guided
    6. Skye. guided
    7. Fort William. red XC & DH

I’m also compiling a list of routes based on gps files in case the guiding falls through. So far I’ve lots of stuff round Torridon, but only 2 routes on Skye: the Sligachan loop (anti-clockwise) and the Quiraing (a spectacular but short loop). It’ll have to be one route on Skye and that seems to point towards Sligachan.

Any experience of the two routes? Cheers

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Torihada, that list looks excellent, but if you only have one day at fort William, don’t bother with the XC, just do the gondola uplift, the red DH is fantastic. And if you have two days, go somewhere else for the second day!.

torihada
    Free Member

Nobeerinthefridge – Member

Torihada, that list looks excellent, but if you only have one day at fort William, don’t bother with the XC, just do the gondola uplift, the red DH is fantastic. And if you have two days, go somewhere else for the second day!.

We’ll be riding the gondola accessed Nevis Red and the DH course (some of party will hire DH bikes). It’ll be our last day in the Highlands before the slog back to the SE.

duir
    Free Member

Usually overlooked but Aberdeenshire is the hidden gem of MTB Scotland. Lots of steep technical stuff on rocks and in Pine forests so worth spending a few days there.

If you want big mountains it has plenty of that too, my favorite is the Glen Muick to glen Clova via a descent that would not be out of place in the Alps. Then back over towards Loch Muick but instead of the classic descent back to the Loch, turn left over Broad Cairn and ascend Lochnagar which at 3789′ is fairly high and leads to a massive descent. There are a few variations on the descent but the best in my opinion is straight down Glas Alt, which is steep,long and get’s increasingly technical. Then to finish there is a lovely ride back round Loch Muick on a land rover track which finishes this epic masterpiece.

scotroutes
    alandavidpetrie79
    Free Member

mikewsmith:

Is that first vid you posted Torridon?

konabona
    Free Member

The Ryvoan Pass is a good route, there is loads of riding in the Cairngorms. Just point your bike and go.

FOG

This has really wetted my appetite. I did a Torridon trip last year which rather suffered from the weather, snow in May, but had decided to go for the Cairngorms this year. Any suggestions for good accommodation for one, possibly two, on a budget in the area? Will have a car so anywhere in the general area would be good

zigzag69
    Free Member

2 routes on Skye: the Sligachan loop (anti-clockwise) and the Quiraing (a spectacular but short loop). It’ll have to be one route on Skye and that seems to point towards Sligachan.

Any experience of the two routes?

Did Sligachan A/C and Quirang in 2011. Pics, etc here:

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=147814

Summary: Do Sligachan as an out and back to Camusanary Bay in the morning. Nip up and do the Quirang after lunch.

scotroutes

FOG – you really can’t go wrong with the Aviemore bunkhouse. As a bonus it has a great pub next door.

Glenmore Lodge is another good option.

doubledunter
    Free Member

Personally wasnt that impressed with Sligachan to Camusanary , bit of a relentless slog IMO 😕 …when I asked others I knew that had done it they were of the same opinion, probably one to tick off but I wouldnt rush back to do it again tbh

torihada
    Free Member

zigzag69 – Member

Summary: Do Sligachan as an out and back to Camusanary Bay in the morning. Nip up and do the Quirang after lunch.

Sounds like good advice, thanks

fergal
    Free Member

What didn’t you like about Vorlich, naw bad for a munro, the top two thirds above the landrover track are quite good, the usual fare for a popular path in the mountains these days, some waterbars, but it then gets pretty rocky and natural, over towards Stuc a chroin is walking territory, or certainly taking your bike for a walk.

PS. the default reply is Coire Lair and then over bealach Lice to the Annat descent in Torridon, it really doesn’t get any better for bike friendly trails in an awe inspiring landscape, but i’m sure you already new this.

Sanny
    Free Member

Lochnagar from Glen Clova. 5 munros, big country riding, Glas Alt descent – great day out. Duir is bang on the money about the eastern part of Scotland.

Dreish and Mayar – shorter day but two peaks with the Kilbo Path to finish.

Aboyne and Ballater – see the guys in Cycle Highlands for great route ideas.

Aviemore – soooo much to chose from. Cairngorm and Ben Macdui returning via Lairig an Laoigh. You can sneak in Bynack Mor on the return leg.

Anything round Rothiemurchus, Feshie and Inchriach are great. Bothy Bikes are the go to guys to speak to for route advice.

The Enduro trails as they now seem to be known in Kinlochleven are really rather good. Join them up with the likes of Binnean Mor or Stob Coire a Chairn for over 3000 feet of almost continuous descending.

I reckon Stob Ban would be great having carried up the Glen on a loop from Kinlochleven.

The Ciaran Path loop via Stanaig Bothy is a bit of a classic on a hot summers day.

Torridon is good but to be honest, I reckon there is better riding elsewhere. The scenery is stunning on the right day but once you’ve ridden the big loop, the choices then become a bit limited if you’re not into your hike a bike backcountry epics. Definitely go but I would build it into your road trip. Check out Coastkid’s blog for some Applecross ideas.

Finally, Pitlochry and Dunkeld has some terrific xc riding on offer. Escape Route will keep you right.

This barely scratches the surface. My taste leans towards big mountains, tech riding and big sky views. If that floats your boat, feel free to e mail me for more ideas.

Cheers

Sanny

PS FOG. The Aviemore Bunkhouse is really good for cheap and cheerful accommodation. Clean. Quiet. Right next to the Old Bridge Inn.

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘"Must Do" Scottish rides – not 7 Stanes’ is closed to new replies.