Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Must-do riding in Orkney?
  • krixmeister

I will be in Orkney (main island) for a few days later in July. Have the opportunity to bring my bike, but wasn’t going to bother – was planning on just spending the time drinking Highland Park and Orkney Dark Island. Having said that – is there any “must-do” riding on the main island, that would be worth bringing the MTB over for?

jemima
    Free Member

I don’t think there is anything in the way of mountain biking on the main island. However, I think a bike is probably one of the better ways of seeing the island and I think I’d quite happily spend a few hours touring about the back roads west mainland.

Something I do fancy is taking the ferry to Hoy and riding out to Rackwick and then Old Man of Hoy. I think this could be regarded as proper mountain biking and if I remember rightly from walking it would make a good ride. This is doable as a day trip.

lovewookie

Not much in the way of must do’s, but there area few paths on the OS maps out from Kirkwall. They’re not bad, bare, moorland type stuff, so a bit hummocky in places.

been a long time since I was up there though.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    bigjim

Something I do fancy is taking the ferry to Hoy and riding out to Rackwick and then Old Man of Hoy. I think this could be regarded as proper mountain biking and if I remember rightly from walking it would make a good ride. This is doable as a day trip.

It makes a good overnighter too, we stayed in the bothy at Rackwick, amazing place.

Not a lot of mtbing in Orkney but there’s a fair few coastal paths that you can ride along, eg Yesnaby. If the wind is being kind it’s nice to cycle around the roads too.

dovebiker

Ride out the Old Man of Hoy but make sure your take a helmet or are outside of the great skua nesting season!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Must-do riding in Orkney?’ is closed to new replies.