Viewing 40 posts - 281 through 320 (of 330 total)
  • Muslim Folks: help me defeat this xenophobic nonsense
  • Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Can you save me Tom – of course please think of the children first

Except I haven’t advocated saving them have I? I wouldn’t ban them but at the same time I think there is a culture of silence among the left (and don’t get me wrong, I’m mostly left wing) when it comes to criticizing anything remotely connected to Islam. I used trollish sarcasm to highlight the absurdity of that.

Judging by my experience of this forum, I get the feeling that I would have been labelled a closet racist if I’d posted a topic questioning Islamic values such as the burqa etc.

How is outwardly showing your religion provocative? Perhaps they think your lack of religious symbols is a provocative sign of your atheism – is it ? or is it just how you dress?

Purely for the lolz…and I do mean purely for the hypothetical lolz, given that it can be an offence under the 1986 public order act to display symbols such as the swastika outside a school full of Jews then I can also see wearing a Burqa to a convention full of feminists being an offence. The difference is I’m not sure who the law with side in the latter situation though.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Special treatment.

I am sure you could request the same if you so wished so I would say it is sensitivity rather than special. Anyone could ask for it not just the religious.
    See also say body searches – disgraceful innit-I mean a man respecting their wishes – its oppressive.
    I guess the ladies would not be fans of urinals or pissing next to each other as well 😉

As you would not ban it, though you dont really like it, I assume all the colourful trolling insults apply equally to yourself.
    Well your right we did indeed have some fun that last one is just brilliant …oh my sides

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

I am sure you could request the same if you so wished so I would say it is sensitivity rather than special. Anyone could ask for it not just the religious.

Firstly, I resent the quite frankly sexist idea that I as a man somehow like pissing next to other men and that women would not like pissing next to each other. I would like more separated male urinals so I don’t get drunk **** pissing on me.

Secondly in court, I’m sure just about every judge in the land would tell me to **** off if I said “Can I have this….because I’m an atheist”.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Why not try it when refusing to swear on the bible or an other religious book because you are an atheist.
    Let me know what happens and how long your sentence was

Edukator
    Free Member

I’d happily swear on the bible, but first I’d open it and read the lines about swearing oaths and falling to condemnation, and some other lines of wisdom about testimony and oaths.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Are you not proving my point further jy, religion is given a disgusting level of significance in this country and your attitude helps to feed it.

crankboy
    Free Member

“Why not try it when refusing to swear on the bible or an other religious book because you are an atheist.
    Let me know what happens and how long your sentence was ” loads of people decline to swear on a religious book not only defendants but witnesses and jury members. They just afirm instead it’s perfectly acceptable in court.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Are you not proving my point further jy

Only if you consider giving evidence that refutes it to be supporting it.

Edukator
    Free Member

I pointed out earlier that our judicial system is based on Christian values. Then you mentioned swearing on the Bible, Junkyard. Have a read and consider how our whole system of statements by sworn in witnesses is based on biblical teaching.

Torminalis
    Free Member

I am often stunned that Muslim women in the west would want to wear a face covering.

It is no coincidence that the countries where facial covering is required are the same countries that womens rights are stamped on in so many other ways, yet immigrants who have the freedom to wear clothing that doesn’t socially isolate them continue to do so in solidarity with the oppressive misogynistic regimes around the world.

Junkyard
    Free Member

well as we are a [decreasingly] religious society so you could argue everything we have ever done was religious in nature if you wished to. Some things will have more than others for sure.

I think an atheist legal system would still require an oath to be sworn saying you were being honest.
    It seems entirely a sensible thing to ask someone to do prior to speaking in court.
    Folk used to swear an oath to a king or Caesar or whatever.
    IMHO religion likes to claim lots of things as its – great art, music, oaths, morals etc but it is often not the case that without religion we would not have these things.

Good link edukator [ not sarcasm]

immigrants who have the freedom to wear clothing that doesn’t socially isolate them continue to do so in solidarity with the oppressive misogynistic regimes around the world.

Have you considered that they do it for another reason like say choice and desire to respect their [ interpretation] of islamic values?

Edukator
    Free Member

I enjoyed reading the Lewis and Clark book about the crossing of the American continent, in part because of the insight into Amerindian culture and morals. Without the transmission of the teachings of Abraham, Moses, Jesus and Co. and enforcement by organised religion a very different moral code had developed. As an ageing man their system has some appeal, I quite fancy younger warriors lending me their wives. 8)

Have you considered that they do it for another reason like say choice and desire to respect their [ interpretation] of islamic values?

Yes, and having witnessed the treatment of the woman by her (assumed) husband in the supermarket and car park thought it was more likely his desire and choice.

Torminalis
    Free Member

I am sure that they do it out of choice, in much the same way as young kids love to get their genitals mutilated out of devotion to their religion.

patriotpro
    Free Member

So, after 4 pages have any Muslim folk chipped in to defeat this xenophobic nonsense?

Nooo they’re sat back laughing at the useful do-gooders trying to do it for them, bless em.

Junkyard
    Free Member

So an adult woman choosing to wear the veil is just like a child having genital mutilation 😕
    re read the last few pages we covered this side bar

Torminalis
    Free Member

So an adult woman choosing to wear the veil is just like a child having genital mutilation

In many ways, yes. Veil wearing doesn’t start when a girl is an adult, it starts when they first menstruate. Similarly, circumcision happens roughly at the time of the onset of puberty for a Jewish boy. Both are conventions imposed on the child before they have the capacity to decide if they want to do it.

Both are considered rites of passage that one must undergo on the path to maturity. Both are done because of a community and religious compunction to do so. They both have a long term effect on the life of the child.

In fact, the only real difference that I can see, aside from the small matter of a bit of butchery is that a woman makes a choice to wear a veil every day.

surfer
    Free Member

It seems entirely a sensible thing to ask someone to do prior to speaking in court.

Why? what value does it have. As an Atheist why would I believe that somebody swearing an oath on a bible would be more likely to tell the truth. Are they more likely to tell the truth from that moment on but may have been lying up until that point? What type of Christian would rely on that oath to begin telling the truth and when does that commitment expire? 10 mins? 1hr? 3 days? and then do they revert back to their lying self??

Comedy Gold! 🙂

wwaswas

when does that expire? 10 mins? 1hr? 3 days?

I thought there was some sort geographical caveat in there?

“I promise on my holy book to tell the truth in answer to direct questions whilst within 3ft of the witness box, after that I shall revert to my previous habit of lying through my teeth whenever it suits me”

[edit] damn. I only popped into this thread to see if the arguing was getting any more entertaining and you sucked me into posting.

surfer
    Free Member

yet immigrants who have the freedom to wear clothing that doesn’t socially isolate them continue to do so in solidarity with the oppressive misogynistic regimes around the world.

+1

And misguided and cowardly liberals instead of addressing the real issue of the oppression of womens rights go for the low lying fruit!

Cougar

As an Atheist why would I believe that somebody swearing an oath on a bible would be more likely to tell the truth.

If you accept that they take their “Christian values” seriously then it’s a fair assumption. A better question would be, why would we believe you as an atheist swearing on a bible?

Fortunately, there are now secular alternatives in court. Cross my heart and hope to die, or something.

surfer
    Free Member

why would we believe you as an atheist swearing on a bible?

Exactly. Why would the process change what I would say? hence my point that for believers or non believers the process has no value.

Northwind

Torminalis – Member

In fact, the only real difference that I can see, aside from the small matter of a bit of butchery is that a woman makes a choice to wear a veil every day.

Well yes, that is the difference, choice or not. Welcome to the cool team.

nealglover
    Free Member

why would we believe you as an atheist swearing on a bible?

Exactly. Why would the process change what I would say? hence my point that for believers or non believers the process has no value.

Well, as an Atheist, who obviously cares about this subject enough to moan about it, you would have done your homework beforehand and pointed out that you didnt want to swear an oath on the Bible.

And you would instead be asked to make a non religious Affirmation designed exactly for your needs.

Happy ?

Junkyard
    Free Member

In many ways, yes.

😯
    Its not even the same ball park

Both are conventions imposed on the child before they have the capacity to decide if they want to do it.

so is girls here wearing skirts and boys wearing trousers. I dont think this means I can compare it to FGM.

As an Atheist why would I believe that somebody swearing an oath on a bible would be more likely to tell the truth

For fear of starting a spat again I suggest you re read what i wrote

I think an atheist legal system would still require an oath to be sworn saying you were being honest.

I am not suggesting an atheist swears on a Bible and , if you read it all, it seems odd to suggest I am 😕

for believers or non believers the process has no value.

Well it would mean nothing to this atheist as i dont think the deity exits and will be watching or judging me. I assume it would mean something to a religious person as they tend to take that sort of stuff seriously or more seriously than me.
    Obviously this fact alone is not proof they are telling the truth.
    Its probably fair to say it does not really matter whether someone does or does not swear an oath as we can be certain that not all of them are telling the truth. However I think a legal system would still ask for it whether religious or atheist in nature.

Torminalis
    Free Member

so is girls here wearing skirts and boys wearing trousers. I dont think this means I can compare it to FGM.

So, firstly you only address one of several of the similarities that I describe and then you use female genital mutilation where my example was relating to circumcision. I am not feeling very successfully shot down.

I think that the social expectation of women to wear veils is probably far more damaging to individuals and society than male circumcision so in many ways it is worse.

From the Koran:

And say to the believing women that they should lower their gaze and guard their modesty; that they should not display their beauty and ornaments except what (must ordinarily) appear thereof; that they should draw their veils over their bosoms except to their husbands, their fathers, their husbands’ fathers, their sons, their husbands’ sons, their brothers or their brothers’ sons, or their sisters’ sons, or their women, or the slaves whom their right hands possess, or male servants free of physical needs, or small children who have no sense of the shame of sex; and that they should not strike their feet in order to draw attention to their hidden ornaments. And O ye Believers! Turn ye all together towards Allah, that ye may attain Bliss

Now, correct me if I am wrong but this does not mention facial covering, it looks more like an appeal not to wear low cut tops and to be modest with their ‘ornaments’ if you read it. It is not prescriptive, rather subject to interpretation.

So why, in our permissive society do women still wear the veil? Because they are encouraged to do so by the communities and families they live in, not for any informed religious adherence. Are Muslim women who do not wear the veil somehow lesser muslims?

I completely agree that every person should have a choice and nothing should be banned, but I do reckon that the veil is symptomatic of a broader level of suppression of women’s freedoms. As I said in my first post, it is no conincidence that the countries where the veil is required are also those that have the worst treatment of women. It seems intrinsically linked to the denial of education to females, the denial of their right to drive, to freedom of expression and of their equality generally.

It is a pretty shabby state of affairs really and meanwhile hand wringing westerners whitter about womens right to be oppressed if they choose.

It is a cultural tool for the oppression of women and we should do everything we can to encourage women to throw off the symbols and tools that repress them.

Junkyard
    Free Member

then you use female genital mutilation where my example was relating to circumcision.

So an adult woman choosing to wear the veil is just like a child having genital mutilation
    In many ways, yes.

I think this will explain my confusion

Lifer
    Free Member

Torminalis – Member
    It is a pretty shabby state of affairs really and meanwhile hand wringing westerners whitter about womens right to be oppressed if they choose.

It is a cultural tool for the oppression of women and we should do everything we can to encourage women to throw off the symbols and tools that repress them.

When a woman says she wears the veil as she sees it as a ‘virtuous choice’ is she lying?

grum
    Free Member

I do reckon that the veil is symptomatic of a broader level of suppression of women’s freedoms.

I would tend to agree, but…..

1) I really know next to bugger all about it, so don’t really feel that qualified to start lecturing people with a deeply held conviction
    2) Telling people their culture is stupid and backward isn’t generally the way to win them over to your point of view

Ok, so what are you suggesting exactly?

I think that the social expectation of women to wear veils is probably far more damaging to individuals and society than male circumcision so in many ways it is worse.

Except that one is irreversible and done without consent, to children.

Torminalis
    Free Member

I think this will explain my confusion

Well, to be perfectly clear, I see both male and female circumcision to be pretty troubling things. I used male circumcision because for some perverse reason it doesn’t share the same stigma that female circumcision does and was better for my argument.

Torminalis
    Free Member

I sense I am not going to come out of this well if I keep on digging. I think veils and circumcision and oppression are all pretty bad things and concede that they have different levels of impact on lives. I do believe though that they share many similarities, obviously aside from the final nature of circumcision.

I have worked very closely with 4 Pakistani guys for the last 5 years and they all feel kind of the same as I do. They are all Muslims and none of their wives wear veils.

Junkyard
    Free Member

I think three issues are being discussed here
    1. Circumcision – my view its bad for both genders and far worse for females and should be made illegal – as indeed it is for females- males would be more controversial as the damage is more debatable
    2. Is Islam oppressive to women – in general yes but I would also say most religions are as well as being wrong.
    3. should we ban the veil – no

Yes some women are forced to wear it like school girls are forced to wear skirts. the majority of those who choose to do so are generally fine with this choice and make a “free” choice. It may just mean they are socially conditioned or brain washed to do this [ in both cultures].

If banning its use or encouraging its non use would liberate women everywhere then I would support it but i dont think it would.
    You just change the victims of oppression with a ban IMHO from those forced to wear it to those who can no longer choose to wear it.
    I am not sure a male non muslim encouraging them to not do what the Quran says* will be all that persuasive anymore than I would listen to a muslim telling me how to act/behave etc

Do i like it , not particularly but plenty of folks wear clothes I dont like.

* yes there is debate as to exactly what should be worn
    NB i mean in this country more than I mean repressive Islamic regimes

I sense I am not going to come out of this well if I keep on digging

occasionally on here folk manage to disagree, share views and not be rude to each other…it could happen Insha’Allah [ god willing] 😉

surfer
    Free Member

For fear of starting a spat again I suggest you re read what i wrote

I am not suggesting an atheist swears on a Bible and , if you read it all, it seems odd to suggest I am

I never suggested you were, why do you claim people misread/misquote you when they havent then misread/misquote them.

I claimed that swearing on anything for anybody has no value, it is is simply a tradition.

Its probably fair to say it does not really matter whether someone does or does not swear an oath as we can be certain that not all of them are telling the truth

This is my point exactly however you have changed your view which is good news. 😀

surfer
    Free Member

1) I really know next to bugger all about it, so don’t really feel that qualified to start lecturing people with a deeply held conviction

But (and this is an extreme view to make my point) do we need to understand a persons culture to interpret that their physical abuse of their child is wrong?
    We dont need to analyse their background, understand their cultural heritage then reflect on all the terrible things we have done in the past which may have impacted on their actions.
    These things may be useful as a tool but we shouldnt allow people to simply externalise blame. That is just liberal hand wringing of the most cowardly kind. In the above example “most right minded people” (correct in this context?) would agree that physical abuse towards children is wrong.
    If they did it through some “deeply held conviction” would that mean we have an excuse not to act?

grum
    Free Member

1. Circumcision – my view its bad for both genders and far worse for females and should be made illegal – as indeed it is for females- males would be more controversial as the damage is more debatable
    2. Is Islam oppressive to women – in general yes but I would also say most religions are as well as being wrong.
    3. should we ban the veil – no

+1

But (and this is an extreme view to make my point) do we need to understand a persons culture to interpret that their physical abuse of their child is wrong?

Are we talking about circumcision again? 😉

No-one is arguing about whether child abuse is wrong and should be condemned, but there could be a discussion about what exactly constitutes child abuse. I might argue that indoctrinating children into a religion is a form of child abuse – but I’d expect many people to angrily disagree with me.

The debate isn’t about whether oppressing women is wrong, it’s about whether the veil is oppressing women.

I’m inclined to think it is, but I can’t say for sure. And as JY says non-Muslims lecturing Muslims about freedom (while we line up to bomb yet another Muslim country) probably won’t go down too well and is likely to be counter-productive. Banning faith schools might help though.

I think this debate could do without all the straw-man insults over ‘cowardly liberal hand-wringing’ etc.

surfer
    Free Member

Are we talking about circumcision again?

No, my mistake. I meant for example extreme physical abuse not FGM.

surfer
    Free Member

The debate isn’t about whether oppressing women is wrong, it’s about whether the veil is oppressing women.

But it does come down to “knowing what is best” for people. We do it all the time BTW. I made an earlier point that because you can find people who may claim that forced marriage/FGM has been the best thing that ever happened to them (certainly with the latter) I suspect that most people would agree that this is a terrible practice and those that commit it upon their children should be punished. We dont need to analyse their culture to come to that conclusion.
    I do think it is a sign of oppresion but it is less overtly obvious to the observer.
    In terms of telling people not to wear it or providing a practical solution to what I dont like to see, then it does become more difficult.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Only if you consider giving evidence that refutes it to be supporting it.

Again, it kind of supports my viewpoint. There shouldn’t be special oaths for different religious viewpoints full stop, it only serves to highlight differences between groups. Differences that people are killing each other over in the Islamic world.

Here’s an idea anyway – lets try framing a Burqa ban within Isaiah Berlin’s “Two Concepts of Liberty” (eg Positive and Negative Liberty) and also “Rousseau’s Theory of Freedom”.

grum
    Free Member

There shouldn’t be special oaths for different religious viewpoints full stop, it only serves to highlight differences between groups.

Hmmm, seems like you don’t have the guts to condemn what is the real problem, the oppression of women, and are instead hand-wringing over inconsequential matters like the finer details of swearing oaths in court.

WHAT ABOUT THE OPPRESSION OF WOMEN IN SAUDI ARABIA? HMMMMMM? 😉

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Hmmm, seems like you don’t have the guts to condemn what is the real problem, the oppression of women, and are instead hand-wringing over inconsequential matters like the finer details of swearing oaths in court.

Except giving special consideration to religious or non-religious viewpoints is at the heart of the problem we are talking about (eg special treatment beiing given to peoples personal beliefs)… in this country the wearing of a Burqua or any religious symbol should not take precedent over law or company policy.

It seems this judge would agree with me. http://www.theguardian.com/law/2013/aug/23/judge-refuses-muslim-to-wear-burqa-court

But the judge said: “It seems to me to be quite fundamental that the court is sure who it is dealing with. Furthermore, this court, as long as I am sitting, has the highest respect for any religious tradition a person has.

“In my courtroom also, this sometimes conflicts with the interests of a paramount need for the administration of justice. In my courtroom, that’s going to come first.

“There is the principle of open justice and it can’t be subject to the religion of the defendant whether the principle is observed or not.

“I am not saying this because of the particular form of dress by this defendant, I apply that to any form of dress that had the same issues.”

Lifer
    Free Member

Claire Burtwistle, the woman’s barrister, told the court the woman was not prepared to lower her veil at all while men were in the room. The woman cannot be named for legal reasons.

“In front of women, it is not an issue. It is simply men that she will not allow to see her face,” the barrister said.

Burtwistle suggested that she, a female police officer or a female prison guard could identify the defendant and confirm to the court that it was the same person as in the police arrest photos.

Sarah Counsell, prosecuting, said the police officer in charge of the case was content that he recognised the defendant while she was in the burqa.

Judge making it a problem when both the prosecutor, police and defense are happy with the identification of the defendant/suggested ways identification could be made. What a waste of time and money.

Viewing 40 posts - 281 through 320 (of 330 total)

The topic ‘Muslim Folks: help me defeat this xenophobic nonsense’ is closed to new replies.