Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Musing: long bikes / flat pedals
  • flyingmonkeycorps

As we all know, the current trend in bikes is longer, slacker geometry. I’ve not tried one of the newest super long frames (I’m on a 26″ Rocket frame which is probably quite short by modern standards) but the whole thing got me thinking.

A few years back I remember reading a Dirt article on the decline of flat pedals in DH, and one of the reasons cited was the increase in length of the bikes. IIRC the argument was that the frames were so long it was impossible (unless you had ape arms) to get your arse back far enough to be able to properly drop your heels over rough stuff whilst keeping enough weight over the front for decent control.

Now I reckon the longest trail bikes nowadays are probably longer than those DH bikes, so does the same apply? Is something like a Longshot Rocket or Geometron better suited to clippy pedals, or have techniques adapted so it doesn’t really make any odds?

Along the same line of thoughts the Mega that Sam Hill rides with flats in the EWS is fairly short by modern standards…

mikewsmith
    Free Member

A few years back I remember reading a Dirt article

They probably had a couple of spare pages to fill but couldn’t face the answer that the riders get on well with clips….

flyingmonkeycorps

Probably. Plus it was in Dirtspeak so virtually unintelligible. I could see the logic behind it though…

geex
    Free Member

It’s right around the same length as his 2008* Ironhorse Sunday [/Geek]

*Back when he was killing it at DH

geex
    Free Member

Long bikes aren’t any fun to ride.

flats are all about fun

My personal opinion anyway

geex
    Free Member

also. Hill doesn’t drop his heels anywhere near as much as folk seem to think you need to on flat pedals

philjunior
    Free Member

They probably had a couple of spare pages to fill but couldn’t face the answer that the riders get on well with clips….

This, particularly the unpalatable answer.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Longer bikes are far more stable and can be ridden with a body position farther forward, no need to get yer arse back like you did on a 70 degree head angle bike, and also if you do feel the need to get yer arse back, seatposts angles are steeper, so you actually can.

roverpig

I’ve been riding my new (Longshot) FlareMax in flats. It never crossed my mind to change. Obviously something else I’m doing wrong 🙂

kiksy
    Free Member

The PB article about DH and flat pedals becoming obsolete.

There is a Dirt article arguing the opposite.

uselesshippy
    Free Member

Well, I’ve got a geometron and have no problems dropping my heels. There is a difference between dropping your heels and hanging off the back of the bike.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Musing: long bikes / flat pedals’ is closed to new replies.