Viewing 15 posts - 41 through 55 (of 55 total)
  • Music you now appreciate but didn't in your yoof
  • midlifecrashes

The Who, few other bits of 70s rock. Was 13 in 1978 so sort of jumped straight in to music with punk and new wave and anything unrelated that came before was ignored. Always dabbled a bit in classical but getting more into it now. Still don’t really get Pink Floyd or Led Zep though.

Kunstler

Hmmm. Tight vocal harmonies, ambient and drone, dance music and of course, QOTSA.

CountZero

I also used to hate goldfrapp (the Loon’s favourite band at one point). Turns out I’ve a couple of their CDs now too. And they get a spin every now and again too…

Got tickets to see them in a small venue in Bristol on Sunday, as a warm-up to their Somerset House and festival gigs.
    Can’t wait!

CountZero

MLC, just think of Zeppelin as a loud folk band, particularly Zep III.

antigee

as a teenager remember seeing Marc Bolan on Top of the Pops and I just didn’t get it – no huge fan now but I can see how far ahead of the pack he was back then when I hear a tune on the wireless

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

I added folky music to my listening from around age thirty. I still dislike soul and disco. But electronica and house beats are ok.

senorj

like others – music that my dad liked. – i.e. Dire Straits!! 😯
    I wouldn’t have said that 20 years ago!
    I never really got the Psychedelic Furs at the time but they have some awesome records/tunes.

camo16
    Free Member

Martin Carthy.

My younger, hipper self is shuddering as I write.

But it turns out that dude plays suh-weet folk guitar and the old British folk numbers are actually pretty damn good.

hatter

DezB – Member

Aesop Rock and Sage Francis

Ooh, nice – can I recommend B Dolan, Cadence Weapon, Subtle and Nocando to your good self..?

You most certainly can.. and just did, *totters off happily to have an online rummage*

Ro5ey
    Free Member

ELO

Just “found” them/him last week.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

metalheart – Member
    Being 15 and into crass

wasn’t Penny Rimbaud an old hippy?

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Lots of classical stuff my Dad listened to, in fact I’m mainly on Classic FM in the car.
    Still love lots of stuff I was into in the 70’s & 80’s though.

Bimbler
    Free Member

Drum and Bass and Hair Metal

Sandwich

Dance and DJ’s mixing became of interest about 5 years ago.

CountZero

camo16 – Member
    Martin Carthy.

My younger, hipper self is shuddering as I write.

But it turns out that dude plays suh-weet folk guitar and the old British folk numbers are actually pretty damn good.
    Martin’s practically as old as British folk! Along with his wife Norma Waterson , and his daughter Eliza, the family are an institution. He’s 72, and still gigging, BTW.
    You ought to check out Eliza’s stuff, she was mixing folk with dance beats years ago, Red Rice, released in 1998.

Viewing 15 posts - 41 through 55 (of 55 total)

The topic ‘Music you now appreciate but didn't in your yoof’ is closed to new replies.