Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 55 total)
  • Music you now appreciate but didn't in your yoof
  • Pigface
    Free Member

For me it is Chic (Niles Rogers and Bernard Edwards)

Roxy Music

quite a departure from Discharge, the Damned and lot of other noisy stuff when I was a nipper.

tang
    Free Member

I hated the Smiths, now I’m a miserable old(er) fart I love them.

binners

I never really got to grips with the genius of Barry Manillow. Now, in my more mature years, I realise how much emptier my life was for not fully embracing songs about showgirls called Lola

chewkw
    Free Member

James Last.

Not actually appreciating but more like missing some bits that might be interesting …

Ro5ey
    Free Member

!! DAD ROCK !!

Papa_Lazarou
    Free Member

I bought A Love Supreme by John Coltrane years ago but found it horrible to listen to.

I decided to give it another go in the car on the way to work this week and it is sublime.

That and The Reynolds Girls.

DezB
    Free Member

Johnny Cash

stevied
    Free Member

Pink Floyd.

Coyote
    Free Member

Loads of soul and funk.

sadmadalan

puts head over the edge of teh desk and types “Wagner” – not the one of the TV but the one who wrote sublime music. In my Yoof I would have sneared at anyone liking it. Heading back under my desk now………

pebblebeach
    Free Member

Simple Minds, hated them when I was a teenager and everyone else at school loved them. Like the OP I was into Discharge, Vice Squad, Crass, Blitz, etc.

Going to see Simple Minds in November!

warton
    Free Member

Dire Straits

DezB
    Free Member

Simple Minds, hated them when I was a teenager
    Opposite to me – liked em back then, but now they sound utterly crap 🙂

pebblebeach
    Free Member

but now they sound utterly crap

And I imagine they will sound completely crap live.

flange
    Free Member

Lynyrd Skynyrd or however you spell them
    Credence Clear Water Revival
    AC/DC

I wasn’t born when they were ‘current’ but I just thought it was a load of hippy rubbish when I was younger. Now have them on repeat most days….

scruff
    Free Member

The Eagles.

slackalice
    Free Member

The Kinks.

Decidely much betterer than The Beatles

kcal

Wagner (ditto)
    Miles Davis

willard

Pink Floyd, The Who, Led Zepplin, The Beatles.

I’ve just realised that it’s pretty much the whole of music from the late 60’s and 70’s.

Of course, it’s all better than this modern rubbish.

hatter

After well over a decade of rock puritanism and furious opposition to anything even vaguely ‘urban’ sounding I’ve got quite into my thoughtful Hip-hop, Aesop Rock and Sage Francis in particular.

Also now dabbling in Dubstep so I can’t help but feel my musical taste is travelling in roughly the opposite direction to how most people go when they hit thier 30’s.

No Coldplay for me yet, my wife has strict instructions to euthanaise me on the spot if that happens!

shermer75
    Free Member

The Smiths and Roxy Music!!

DezB
    Free Member

Aesop Rock and Sage Francis

Ooh, nice – can I recommend B Dolan, Cadence Weapon, Subtle and Nocando to your good self..?

phildaws
    Free Member

On hitting 40 I stopped listening to Fleetwood Mac (Peter Green era, obviously), blues, Pink Floyd, Muse, Coldplay…

I now irritate my wife with Devil Sold His Soul, Bring me the Horizon, Slayer, While She Sleeps, Palm Reader, Suicidal Tendencies, Feed the Rhino, Deftones, Dead Harts, Meshugga, Hacktavist, Cancer Bats etc… if it isn’t screamey and loud it gets no air time, I used to hate that kind of vocal style….. think it is the outlet for my mid-life crisis, can’t afford a sports car!

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Was also into Punk/goth in me youth, but now partial to a bit of Chic, Eruption, Donna Summer, Boney M. windows firmly closed and volume on low tho.

_tom_
    Free Member

The Beatles.

CountZero

About the only bands/music that I appreciate now, and didn’t when it was current, is the Smiths, and ABBA, who I discovered made several stunning, more down-beat songs on their later albums. I only found this out after recording the two ABBA Gold albums onto cassette for my folks to play in the car. Cassandra, and The Day Before You Came are big favourites, now. The Smiths How Soon Is Now is also a massive favourite, too, but I’ve grown to like all the Smiths stuff.
    Lots of stuff that I didn’t like then and still don’t like much, like jazz, and C&W. Alt.Country/Americana is fine, though.

kjcc25
    Free Member

The Blues, especially Robert Johnson and Mississippi Fred McDowell.

darrell
    Free Member

The Clash

i was much more of a Buzzcocks and Pistols fan

anagallis_arvensis

Townes van Zandt, Guy Clark and Steve Earl.

chewkw
    Free Member

This is amongst the best … used to listen to it in those days … :mrgreen:

So relaxing … proper cool music …

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XK5NyROI4-I[/video]

andypaul99
    Free Member

fleetwood mac

hoodie
    Free Member

Miles Davis – Kind of Blue

ski
    Free Member

Rolling Stones, wish now, I had been into them earlier.

Finding charity Vinyls for bargain prices has me all excited about listening to music all over again 😉

toxicsoks
    Free Member

Can
    Neu!
    Captain Beefheart

notmyrealname
    Free Member

My Dad’s records 😯

Neil Young
    The Byrds
    CSN
    Johnny Cash

chipsngravy
    Free Member

Brass bands, mainly colliery bands.

piemonster

Pretty much everything I now listen to.

I was a tasteless oik

athgray
    Free Member

Mainly blues stuff.
    Lightning Hopkins
    John Lee Hooker
    Captain Beefheart
    America
    Dr Feelgood

metalheart
    Free Member

Being 15 and into crass and discharge I absolutely detested pink floyd, led Zep and AC/DC. Turns out I’ve cd’s by all of them now that I actually quite like….
    Chic are ace (although sister sledge I prefer, I just love we are family and lost in music).
    I’ve always loved proper country though. Merle haggard is my hero 😀
    I also used to hate goldfrapp (the Loon’s favourite band at one point). Turns out I’ve a couple of their CDs now too. And they get a spin every now and again too…
    Never really got on with the clash until London Calling… More of a Buzzcocks fan really.
    ETA: could never have seen myself listening to Bach or Purcell back in the day either, let alone stuff like Part, Reich, etc.

RichPenny
    Free Member

Norwegian death skiffle

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 55 total)

The topic ‘Music you now appreciate but didn't in your yoof’ is closed to new replies.