Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Music licence for radio
  • jonelli

Just received an invoice fromPPL for having a radio on at work . Anybody know if its a con, or is it something we should have . Radio in a back room for 2 workers to listen to not public.

Cheers

IHN

Yep, you need a license.

http://www.ppluk.com/I-Play-Music/

russ295
    Free Member

Yes and PRS will be onto you soon as well!

zippykona

Expect one from PRS as well. There is no escape.
    If you listen to Amazing Radio instead you won’t need a licence.

timc
    Free Member

How Much out of interest?

Cougar

It’d seem that PPL is a legitimate company. However, I’d be wary of random invoices that turn up out of the blue. I think if it were me I’d be getting in contact with them through advertised channels rather than on the basis of a random letter.

IHN

I don’t think that you need a PPL and a PRS licence. One of either will do. I think, IANAL, etc…

whatnobeer
    Free Member

I don’t think that you need a PPL and a PRS licence. One of either will do. I think, IANAL, etc…

Separate companies that represent different rights holders, so in theory you would need both.

Imo the fact you need a licence to listen to music or tv etc in anything defined as a public place when public place itself isn’t defined is ridiculous, especially when it’s on the radio and the rights have already been paid for by the broadcaster.

bencooper
    Free Member

Have a look at Section 72 of the CD&PA:

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1988/48/section/72

I took advantage of section (1B)(b)(iii) and put a price sticker on my radio 😀

zippykona

You need two licences but if it can’t be heard anywhere the public can go I’d say you don’t have a radio.

zippykona

Ben cooper you are a very clever man.
    Have you had any grief,did you ever have a licence?

jonelli

Timc

It’s £63.28 plus vat
    £75.94

russ295
    Free Member

You could deny that you had a radio but they are cunning will try and phone to catch you out.
    My wife has a hair salon and have had to pay these for years.
    Firstly it was PPS then PRS send a bill wanting back dated payment and costs etc.
    Told them I needed proof of specific copyrights that had been infringed before I would pay any back dated payments.
    Paid them for that year at the same time and they passed it on to collections but they got chased as well.

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Legit – give ’em a call. I found them quite reasonable to deal with

zippykona

If you do get a licence you have a portable radio and never listen to cds.

johndoh
    Free Member

You need two licences but if it can’t be heard anywhere the public can go I’d say you don’t have a radio.

This – and remember they have no right to enter your office to check. And if they do call and then tell you they can hear a radio, tell them you are in the office alone so brought one in/listening to it off your computer or something.

CountZero

Imo the fact you need a licence to listen to music or tv etc in anything defined as a public place when public place itself isn’t defined is ridiculous, especially when it’s on the radio and the rights have already been paid for by the broadcaster.

This! If you’re playing CD’s, or MP3’s, and members of the public can hear it, then it’s broadcasting, so fair enough, but a radio? All those broadcasting rights have been paid, so this is effectively double-taxing the ‘consumer’, and if there are no members of the public allowed access, then it’s bordering on immoral.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Music licence for radio’ is closed to new replies.