Music – How do you store it.

Home Forum Chat Forum Music – How do you store it.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Music – How do you store it.
  • Premier Icon Drac
    Subscriber

On my phone and Mac Book but also on iTunes. As I can just download any I’ve previously purchased whenever I need to.

lister

Funny little silver discs of plastic. In a box. On a huge shelf with lots of other boxes. In alphabetical order.
    Nice Mr Amazon sends them to me by post if I want a new one.

I’ve got about 400 CD’s worth of music stored on a hard drive attached to our router. Our computers can access the music via wi-fi, using itunes. There’s an airport attached to the stereo to stream the music and itunes uses airplay. All the CDs are under a bed somewhere for ‘backup’.

Great big HDD and google music.

Premier Icon dannybgoode
    Subscriber

I store it on these big black discs – about 12″ across. Fantastic! I have a special needle on a swing arm device that drags across the surface of the said black disc as a motorised turntable spins it round at either 33 1/3 rpm or 45 rpm. I have heard of some such devices that spin at 78 rpm but have yet to find one.

If I have to I use these small silver discs about 8cm across. Not quite as fantastic but I have good machine for extracting the data from the said shiny disc so it’ll do if needs must.

Cheers

Danny B

Premier Icon teethgrinder
    Subscriber

Google Music – all the music I ‘aquire’ uploads automatically. Also have a copy on a portable HDD.

I can listen to the stuff off of GP on my Nexus 4/PC/laptop as long as I have 3G or WiFi.

tails

I’ll have a look at google music and this airplay! Thanks

Klunk

got a partition that mirrors my ipod.

Toasty

Spotify on my home PC, work PC and phone, only usually a couple of albums synced locally.

tails

Hi, I’m not particularly “into” music like many seem to be but I seem to have a lot of it on my laptop, I’d like to free up some space and also listen to more of it. Just get a big ipod and plug it into my radio or is that now old tech? What are all these wireless speakers (eg jawbone) about?

Premier Icon footflaps
    Subscriber

I don’t store music anymore, Spotify just provides unlimited quantities for £4.99 / month.

gmex619

20,000 songsish on the laptop. Around 200 cds and some cassettes and ALOT of Vinyl here.

600 odd CD’s and the rest via Spotify.

plyphon

I have a 1TB external, 1TB internal dedicated to music, and my laptop.

All have copies of my music.

And my vinyl, many of which I have duplicate MP3’s for when I play out.

Remember, if it doesn’t exist in 3 different physical places,
    It doesn’t exist at all.

HTH

timber

Those 3 places need to be a fair distance apart as well to really count, if it is all in the same room, it’s as good as one place in terms of fire.

Premier Icon maccruiskeen
    Subscriber

Just get a big ipod and plug it into my radio or is that now old tech?

an ipod is a portable copy of your music collection, you don’t ‘keep’ your music there, its just a way of playing it, you still keep and manage the collection ‘proper’ on a computer, so using one won’t free up space on your laptop.

stick the music library on an external drive if space is tight, but by the same measure a new, bigger drive for the lappy would be cheap and more convenient.

freddyg

Shelves mainly.

If I pick up a record or CD I haven’t listened to for a while, I pop it onto the NAS.

freddyg

Remember, if it doesn’t exist in 3 different physical places,
    It doesn’t exist at all.

What do you mean it doesn’t exist?! I stubbed my little toe on the shelves only last night. It bloody hurt too – definitely real and not imagined!

Only thing wit the airport is that even if you rip the music as AIFF/lossless, the sound via the airport is a bit ‘lacking’ compared to playing directly via the CD. Hard for me to explain but it’s sort of ‘diuluted’, like if you had beer with 10% water added. Apparently I need to buy a DAC to improve this which is a bit annoying.

Premier Icon Flaperon
    Subscriber

One copy on the media pc in the lounge, synced to my macbook (which also sucks it into itunes for the iPod).

It also uploads new tracks to Google Music as a last ditch backup, which can be re-downloaded but at 256kbps.

Premier Icon zbonty
    Subscriber

Lots of shelving for vinyl. A full up laptop for the lesser stuff.

Premier Icon coolhandluke
    Subscriber

On my laptop and my d drive of my PC and on an external hard drive

Three places!

Also, a shelf full of vinyl in the garage

Cupboard and under the bed Ian box for CD’s

Would like a NAS drive with it all on instead too, that’s the next project.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Music – How do you store it.’ is closed to new replies.