Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • music gigs and 4 inch screens
  • trail_rat
    Free Member

Went to biffy clyro playing at AECC last night.

gone are my days of wanting to be up the front being uncomfortable – i hate crowds tbh.

so stood up the back and i found i could watch the gig on any number of 4/5 inch screens around the hall at around my eye level

surely these people could watch a DVD of the gig at high volume ?

the occasional photo , or the occasional photo perhaps but some folk were filming the whole gig through their phone.

i guess im probably alone in my thinking what a waste of a gig – what ever floats your boat i guess . shame it blocks out the view for those behind you – we just moved to a different point 😉

Was a great show from biffy though ,the sound, the lights and Vjaying worked real well with the music – been a while since ive been to a big gig as good as that. last gig i saw at AECC years ago was Black rebel motorcycle club (supporting kaiser chiefs and killers – which kept the mrs happy , but i was there for the BRMC) and the sound wasnt that great and none of them really put on a show beyond the music.

somouk
    Free Member

Living life through a tiny screen really annoys me… People rarely watch things properly these days and spend the whole time looking at their phone screen instead. 🙁

federalski
    Free Member

How many of these people actually watch the filming back?

I can’t say I’d be keen to watch back over an hour of even my favourite band from a camera phone…
    It’d be jerky, you’d be all over the place what with holding it above our head.

I’d rather watch something of decent quality, or be happy with the memories of actually watching them live.

logical
    Free Member

I recorded Rick Witter and the Dukes a while back playing Chasing Rainbows by Shed 7 on my phone. Never watched it since. Will dig it out and let you know what quality is like. Was on a Samsung G500 (yes it was that long ago)

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

A mod will be along to tell you this has been done: Coincidentally, it was a Biffy Clyro gig too.

But, yes, these people are flipping arseholes.

Had a bit of a thread going on twitter with some folk who were complaining about the same thing at various Gaslight Anthem gigs (I’d had the same as wrightyson at his Biffy gig on the same night). A few people swore they’d been at gigs where some people were doing it with tablets. 😯

logical
    Free Member

Found the video. The sound was crap. You can only just work out what the song was and that was only cos my mate was singing along at the top of his voice. The picture was terrible. Just a blue and purple hazy glow with the outline of a guy in the middle.

federalski
    Free Member

Sounds like me when I’ve been on a all-dayer before a gig Logical…

blaggers
    Free Member

The Black Crowes banned photos at last weeks gig (and they are renowned for allowing bootleg recordings to get released). Was a superb move, as there were very little screens on show, and security soon got those put away.

ketchup
    Free Member

Every gig you go to these days there seems to be quite a few folk filming the whole thing on a phone but there was an usually large amount of people doing it at biffy last night (at one point I counted 10 phones just in the couple of metres directly in front of me!). I used to do it when I was younger but stopped because I only got the one good video, I don’t really see the point in it anymore unless it’s an acoustic song so that the sound and video quality are half decent. But it wasn’t really the people taking videos that were annoying me last night as much as the guy behind me who tried to use my head as a camera stand a couple of times!

Northwind

Muse did quite a cool thing at the dome- “everyone get something bright on their mobile screen and hold it up”. Like lighters only more colourful, I liked that.

Tonight I will counter the biffy-mobile-effect by steaming down the front.

mikey74
    Free Member

It pisses me off too. However, I find their loss is my gain as it usually means I can find some footage of the gig on You Tube. OK, the quality does vary, but there is usually some decent footage to be found.

CountZero

I’ve only shot a couple of short videos at gigs, and both were The Joy Formidable and I was right at the front. Pretty good quality, and I keep meaning to stick them onto YouTube, but trying to hold a phone steady for more than five minutes is a royal pain, so it’s not something I generally do.
    Stills, on the other hand, I take lots of.

Northwind

Surprisingly little of it tonight. Maybe because after the 500th song it was getting a bit hard to hold your arms up even without a phone in one hand, quite an unfashionable enormous set!

Did see one chap not just doing the “watching the gig on my phone” thing but also, recording the big video screen not the actual band- so watching the band on TV on his phone.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I can only think that these type of people who do this enjoy showing that they’ve been to a gig more than they actually enjoy the gig itself. It makes sense in my head.

Kind of similar to the folk who go to gym and don’t break sweat, you just know that they love bringing up in office conversations that they are members of Bannatynes, and go 5 times a week.

People are strange…

CountZero

I can only think that these type of people who do this enjoy showing that they’ve been to a gig more than they actually enjoy the gig itself. It makes sense in my head.

😆
    For me, taking photos is a way of properly remembering the gig; after 40+ years of gig-going, with several hundred gigs, (39 in one year), and sometimes seeing the same artists two or three times in a week, recollections get hazy.
    Trying to video a whole gig, though? Dumb.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘music gigs and 4 inch screens’ is closed to new replies.