Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Music for video
  • toyrobot
    Free Member

Hi Folks,

I’m about to begin a small project creating a couple of short videos to help promote a outdoor festival I’m involved with. Now we all know that key to a good clip is a good tune. My question is what’s a good way to source this? Obviously I intend to respect copyright. I can’t imagine every clip I see online has been created with a music budget though. Is it a case of contacting small bands and asking for a favour? Because as an illustrator I know how annoying this can be when you’re on the receiving end. Are there sites where you can source loyalty free music or what? Any advice or pointers would be very welcome.

DezB
    Free Member

Tried Bandcamp? Most artists have their contact details on their page.

toyrobot
    Free Member

Thanks for that, I’ll add it to the list. I think I’ve heard of bandcamp. I bet it’s something every human on earth is aware of apart from me.

Three_Fish
    Free Member

Now we all know that key to a good clip is a good tune… Is it a case of contacting small bands and asking for a favour?

So why not acknowledge the importance of their (potential) contribution and just offer to pay them?

therealhoops
    Free Member

What type of festival is it? if it’s a music based festival then just ask the musicians for permission. If not, then I’m sure I’ll have something from our vast library of non-MCPS royalty free tunes. Failing that, there’s loads of royalty free libraries online now.

toyrobot
    Free Member

Three Fish – you’re exactly right. By favour I don’t mean ask for a freebie but not knowing the price of such things I’m worried that the little we can offer will still be classed as favour. In which case I’d rather not insult the performer(s). I absolutely think musical contribution to such things is of huge value. We just can’t afford huge prices.

It’s not a music festival. It’s a festival of outdoor activities.

Pook

For one I did a few years back I used a ninja tune track. I just got in touch, explained what I was doing and they let me use it licence free for a couple of months. Worth a try.

toyrobot
    Free Member

<goes off in search of ninja tune cd upstairs>

schrickvr6
    Free Member

Anything here of interest?

Philips/Dezeen used one of my tunes and it was a finalist for a Webby award.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oaymHLcJwj4[/video]

toyrobot
    Free Member

Hi schrickvr6, thanks for getting in touch. I’m not sure what direction we want to go with yet (we’re a committee so everything is a group choice) but I suspect we’ll be wanting to go a little less electronic and a little more traditional. It’s not a taste thing, I just think what we want to communicate might be best represented this way. If you were offering to help us out / get involved, I’m really very grateful.

robbo
    Free Member

Use the advanced search on soundcloud to search for Creative Commons stuff. You’ll spend hours searching for good stuff but if you go by number of plays it helps.

robbo
    Free Member

Or vimeo has a music search library you can use royalty free…

jambalaya
    Free Member

I’ve recently bought two albums as a result of hearing the artists on Trans Provence and Trans Savoie videos, both where mentioned in credits. I’d you check these edits on Vimeo they also note the music licence site they used.

toyrobot
    Free Member

I just noticed this today too. Having followed a few leads from here and, as you say, following sites/services mentioned on other bike vids I’ve found more than enough to be getting on with. I think it will come down to budget and finding that special little something.

chipsngravy
    Free Member

If you are going to publish your video to YouTube most rights holders will allow you to use their music. The only condition being, the rights holder will claim the audio from your video and directly monetise any views of your video. So when you get a claim notification from YouTube make sure you accept the claim and you’ll be free to use the music (in most cases)

One more thing, in the titles to your video credit the artists and put a buy link to iTunes.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Music for video’ is closed to new replies.