• This topic has 35 replies, 29 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by chip.
Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Murder (probably) on a country lane … motorist etiquette q
  • cinnamon_girl

You come across a dead deer in the middle of the road with traffic reduced to a standstill. Is it acceptable to request assistance from other motorists for help in putting said animal in the boot of one’s car? Yay or nay?

Discuss.

nealglover
    Free Member

No. That would be theft.

trademark
    Free Member

If too heavy to lift, I would ask for help.
    If asked, I would help.

IanMunro
    Free Member

I guess it also depends a bit on if you deadified it.

mrlebowski
    Free Member

No. That would be theft.

From who?

chip
    Free Member

Butcher it roadside with my trusty Swiss Army knife, chops are much easier to carry plus a nice seat cover from the hide.

br
    Free Member

Isn’t it only theft if you were the one who ran it over in the first place? 😉

Anyway, I presume it was warm.

irc

No. That would be theft.

From who?

Do deer not belong to the landowner. So public highway? Fair game?

ninfan
    Free Member

From who?

Indeed!

A wild animal is not ‘property’ while alive, so to whom has it been ‘reduced into the posession of’? (S4(4)4 theft act 1968)

The answer is nobody, it becomes ownerless property, and as such cannot be stolen.

Roadkill perfectly legal as long as you didn’t ‘intentionally’ kill it or take part in killing it (not quite as simple as OK if it was ‘the car in front’)

My only advice would be that you know what you are doing and stick it and gralloch it immediately to avoid spoiling the meat.

cloudnine
    Free Member

No Ideer..

ninfan
    Free Member

No Ideer..

That’s probably why it didn’t see the car coming…

trademark
    Free Member

I was offered eight legs of venison for £100 but I thought it was too dear …

nealglover
    Free Member
    cinnamon_girl

I didn’t want to eat it, it was a fine looking roe and would happily commission a taxidermist so I could keep it. There was no way I could have lifted it myself and don’t have a chest freezer in any case.

Couldn’t help wondering whether a vehicle had actually hit it, couldn’t see any damage and spent enough time looking at it, on the off chance that it was stunned and would get up and run away.

hamishthecat
    Free Member

That reminds of the last time I was in the butcher’s. When I asked for the choice cuts of beef from the top shelf he refused, telling me “ I’m afraid not; the steaks are too high.”

mc
    Free Member

Most of the time you won’t see any external damage on roadkill, unless the skin has been torn or it’s obviously been run over. One good hit on a deer and it’ll die from internal injuries. If you were to skin it, you’ll see the bruising/bleeding where it was hit.

If it’s still warm, only way to know if it’ll be any good for consumption, is to sling it up, slit it’s throat, and see if the blood runs out. If the blood runs out, it’s good, if not, it’s only good for a skin. Once the bloods out, gut it, and let it hang.

I’ve witnessed a few deer being butchered by my dad’s mate, along with preserving the skins. I never thought the skins were worth the effort it takes to preserve them properly, but they can make good floor mats.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

I didn’t want to eat it

Ah, you wanted it to keep your dead badger company.

I’m assuming you didn’t eat the dead badger?

alanl
    Free Member

If it hasnt long been killed, why wouldnt it be any good for eating if the blood doesnt run?

I ask as I’m a regular pheasant picker upper, and have never cut them up on the spot, just took them home and readied them that evening.

cinnamon_girl

ernie has nailed it. 😆

jambalaya
    Free Member

Yes you can ask but I suspect many would be too squeamish to help lift it. Getting it butchered can be tricky and my 2 cents is someone / something should get to eat it as that is making the most of the animal given its now dead. Many hunters stalk and shoot dear alone and thus need to carry the animal out some distance over rough ground.

mrsfry
    Free Member

Climb inside it and hide. The zombies will not eat dead flesh.

Or

Rip your shirt open, dawb black mascara across your face and make a bandana from your shirt sleve. Hoist deer over your shoulders and strap it to your bonnet. Any one who dares approch you, just tell them.
    “You got a purdy mouth”

mc
    Free Member

If it hasnt long been killed, why wouldnt it be any good for eating if the blood doesnt run?

I ask as I’m a regular pheasant picker upper, and have never cut them up on the spot, just took them home and readied them that evening

If the blood congeals it spoils the meat. To get good steaks, you ideally have to let the carcass hang for a few days before final butchering, and if there’s still a lot of blood left in it, the blood goes off ruining the meat.

I’ve often wondered about game birds, as it’s something I’ve never seen drained. Some people even like to leave them hanging for a good few days to give them more ‘flavour’.
    Certainly all your usual poultry always gets drained, but then most people would probably be put of if their white meat wasn’t white, and ouzed blood when you cooked it.

woody21
    Free Member

Yay,

outofbreath
    Free Member

I’d help.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

I once came across a dead cow in the road. Have to say, my first thought wasn’t if it would fit in the boot

matt_outandabout

Leave it a while, especially if in a southern European country.

Then it will weigh less. No eyes, no legs, no ears and some one would have popped it in a layby.

Then it would still be deaf in Italy, no eyed dear, by the way.

Just hope no one sets it on fire…

epicyclo

trademark – Member

I’d be wary of eating anything that had 8 legs. You might end up roeing the day.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

You need to gralloch it on the spot.

http://www.thedeerinitiative.co.uk/uploads/guides/157.pdf

timba
    Free Member
    antigee

FunkyDunc – Member
    I once came across a dead cow in the road. Have to say, my first thought wasn’t if it would fit in the boot

what was your udder thought?

akira

It was winter so he didn’t want to get out the car in case it was fresian.

Muke
    Free Member

what was your udder thought?

How he was going to mooo ve it

timber

Around here you’d be fighting off everyone else that wanted their share.
    Guy I work with comes to work over a moor with red deer on and has come into the yard to get one of the pick ups, just to find that 10 minutes later, someone has already loaded it up. This is on a fairly quiet hill road mostly used by locals to cut between valleys.

Xylene
    Free Member

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zOqyFnnwNDw[/video]

maccruiskeen

Try honking the horn?

chip
    Free Member

Someone had to.
    [video]http://youtu.be/MX7Yo0tWDgk[/video]

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘Murder (probably) on a country lane … motorist etiquette q’ is closed to new replies.