Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Mumsnet – What age did your child move in to a bed?
  • FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Jnr FD is just under 2, and for the last few weeks he has been waking up in the night, standing up in his cot and crying. If we go in and say its still sleep time, he just lye back down and go to sleep. If we just leave him to cry he will also eventually go back to sleep.

Mrs FD has said that colleagues have told her that when they get to this kind of age they prefer a bed as they feel trapped in a cot.

So what age did your kids move in to a bed?

nickf
    Free Member

We moved our daughter out of a cot when she was 18 months because our son arrived and needed the only cot we had. Never seemed to cause any problems, but we had it against a wall and put a guardrail down the one free-standing side to ensure she didn’t fall out.

mark90
    Free Member

Nearly 3, which I thik is quite late, later than most of her peers that we’re aware of. She was quite happy sleeping in the cot and never made any attempt to climb out (cot bed so plenty of room) so we didn’t change things till we thought almost 3 was a bit old to still be in a cot.

thomthumb
    Free Member

niece has just moved to a bed as she has worked out how to climb out of the bed. was 2 in jan.

agent_f

About 2 – after the daughter managed to climb out of the cot (still not quite sure how she managed that). After that I thought having a bed with guardrail was a bit safer…

althepal

My boy is two and a quarter, still happy in his cot, not tried to climb out yet..
    Got a low side for it and think I’ll be fitting that instead of the cot side.. Think it’s about time he learns!

br
    Free Member

First son was out at 16 months, to make room for his brother.

Third son I think was about 2 1/2, but I’m sure we’d dropped the cot side (and lowered the mattress) by then so he could get out himself.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

He’s not tried to climb out, but he does try to climb in for a laugh. Its a cot bed too, so perhaps time for the sides to come down and just use one of the guard rails.

Do yours still sleep in sleeping bags too? During the day when we are in a bedroom he likes to sit under the covers and snuggle in as play thing, however he wriggles around so much at night that we don’t reckon he would keep a douve on top!

Garry_Lager

ABout 18 months here – when he was walking it looked like he would climb out, caught him with a leg over the rail once or twice.
    We had a cot bed so just took the rails off and replaced the open side with a small guard you can get from baby shops. Used that for about 6 months or so as I recall.

theteaboy
    Free Member

At 18 months we bought him a racing car bed and he loved it instantly.

He’s quite wriggly so we got some of these to stop him falling out: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Dusky-Moon-Dream-Bumpers-Single/dp/B001PMXD5Q

Drac

Around 2 and never used the guard rail, they both fell out maybe twice but they don’t hurt themselves it not far. They soon learn not to roll around.

therag
    Free Member

About 2 1/2 the day after he climbed out of his cot bed.
    2nd son was 2 last month, so shall be buying a big boy bed soon!

tonyd

We got our eldest a duvet when he turned one and took the sides off of his cot bed when he was two. Once he realised he could get up any time he started waking in the night and coming in to our room. We put him straight back to bed, after a couple of weeks we got one of these to help him understand when it’s time to get up, it’s helped a lot.

Son number two got a duvet for his first birthday also. When he’s two and his brother is three we’ll probably get the eldest a junior bed and move the youngest into the cot bed with the side off.

Cot beds are low enough that you probably won’t need a side rail thing – ours fell out of bed a few times but that soon stops and it’s low enough (8-10″) that he didn’t hurt himself, just woke up with a jump.

therealhoops
    Free Member

The blue one went into his big boy bed at 18months and the pink one at about 14months.

yetidave
    Free Member

first at about 2 1/2, the second was about 6weeks before her 2nd birthday, due to a couple of climbing out/falling episodes…

yunki
    Free Member

17 months with a bedguard attached

clubber
    Free Member

18ish Months here too. We used a bed guard for the next year or so after a couple of rolling out of bed incidents.

GrahamS

Our almost 2 year old is still in her cot. She sometimes does a bit of the standing-up-crying thing when we put her down, but she knows the score and soon settles.

In the morning we get shouts of “Muuuummmmyyyy.. Daaaaaddddyyy… I not schleeepy anymore”, which is adorable even at 6am.

Do yours still sleep in sleeping bags too?

She has a duvet, but rarely stays under it. So we have an electric rad on a thermostat and timer to make sure the room never gets too cold at night.

t_i_m
    Free Member

At 20 months we took the side off her cot bed. It went well.

She’s quite wriggly, so sleeps in a bag.

molgrips
    Free Member

We took the side off our cot thus making it into a bed when she was able to climb out of it, which was about age 2 1/2 ish. Having said that when we were in Germany she was about 2 and we only had a full sized bed or a carry cot. Whilst we were there she outgrew the carry cot and she did sleep quite well in the big girl bed. At first it was touch and go though and we had to use the little girl bed as a sanction at times.

She also wriggles out of a duvet (don’t all kids?) but she’s a hot little bunny so she just has fleece pajamas and she’s fine.

Kryton57

Took the sides off the cot at 2, no problems other than 4.30am visits to tell us the sun’s coming up :-/

karnali
    Free Member

number 2 still in cot (cot bed) at 26 months and in a bag, she sometimes stand ups and cries but goes back down pretty well, never tried to climb out but does reomve bag and sheet and throw them out if she is having a little tantrum.

D0NK

2 no guard rail fell out a couple of times but soon got the hang of not moving around too much. Never gets out of bed in the mornings either just shouts/cries until one of us goes into the room then he gets up.

Harry_the_Spider

2 1/2. We needed the cot bed for kid #2.

Use the old cot matress as a crash mat when you move to the bed.

GrahamS

Strikes me that a small patch of nettles would be a far better learning aid than a guard rail 😀

molgrips
    Free Member

We have a portable guard rail that fits to a bed.

thegreatape
    Free Member

What about an electric fence GrahamS?

GrahamS

Hmm.. I like your thinking but what about the leccy bill?

Nettles are the green option for an old softie like me.

therealhoops
    Free Member

i’d go for brambles instead of nettles, that way they could have something to eat as well

bruneep

Can’t recall at what age, but one side of bed was against wall and we rolled up a towel and placed it under the mattress to stop him rolling out of bed as easy.

votchy
    Free Member

My eldest went in to a bed at 10 months, we had tried everything and couldn’t get him to sleep, someone suggested putting mattress on floor with guard rail and he slept like a log. Put a stair-gate on the bedroom door too as he was also walking and talking at 10 months.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

18 months – because they worked out how to climb out of the cot. Sides taken off at 2 yrs. Now they are 2.5 and we are happy putting them in full size beds in hotels etc.

slowuphill
    Free Member

My Youngest went straight from a cot to one of these Scallywag bed.

fantastic as its a full size single with safety rails built in and can be converted to a higher bed with storage at a later date.

no need to buy another bed for him for many years!!

Slow

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘Mumsnet – What age did your child move in to a bed?’ is closed to new replies.