Viewing 19 posts - 41 through 59 (of 59 total)
  • Mumsnet type thread – Wheelie bins outside my house!
  • trail_rat
    Free Member

“so, till reciepts are not paper.
    what about when they have been through the shredder?”

they are paper but the daily mail said the thermal print chemical that is inside them causes cancer. Have not seen any guidance that says do not recycle – have seen sensationalism from a few cancer bodies saying not to put them in as youll end up with paper plates and cups that cause cancer….

nickjb
    Free Member

Have not seen any guidance that says do not recycle – have seen sensationalism from a few cancer bodies saying not to put them in

eh?! So you haven’t seen any guidance saying not to recycle them apart from the guidance you have seen saying not to recycle them.

trail_rat
    Free Member

from official recycling people.

they are pretty clear on what you can and cant recycle – till reciepts are not in the do not as far as i could see on the leaflets they dropped round.

why would i listen to people who also say i shouldnt drink coffee or eat bacon telling me not to put something in the recycling…..

antigee

can’t wait to move out next month, so nice wee quiet cul de sac, what could go wrong?

not a lot but in the 6 weeks we’ve been in a nice quiet cul de sac I’ve yet to decide if I’m overly OCD or the neighbours are all suffering from dementia – we put all our bins at the end of the cul de sac – the bins all have house numbers on them as do the houses (simples?), why can’t people remember what their house number is and take the correct bins back? Not a huge deal a bin is a bin but having to wait until late in the evening to take the remaining random bin is testing my patience
    and if it is like car keys at a party I’m moving again

Flaperon

I’ve been recycling old till receipts for years and shall continue to do so until the council tell me to stop. If the council chooses to ditch an entire batch of paper based on the unproven rumour of BPA contamination then that’s their problem.

matt_outandabout

Have you asked them for one?

Which reminds me of some fun with Stirling Council.

“Hello, we are moving in to a new house in Killin. It has no bins yet – please can we get some?”
    “Are you in the property yet?”
    “In four weeks we will”
    “Well we can only take an order for new bins when you move in”
    “Great, how long to get the bins delivered then?”
    “Three months”
    😯 “Can I order them now, or pick them up from a depot?”
    “Orders can only be placed when you have started paying council tax, you cannot collect”
    😕

After three months of using neighbours bins, a 7.5t truck with two council staff in appears one day and delivers one bin (black). Mrs_OAB pointed out we needed a brown one, and recycling caddies.

“oh yes” say the delivery men “we only have your bin today, so we will pop back to Stirling and get one.”

So said 7.5t truck heads back to Stirling (that day was two men, 140 miles and over half a day…)

trail_rat
    Free Member

“I’ve been recycling old till receipts for years and shall continue to do so until the council tell me to stop. If the council chooses to ditch an entire batch of paper based on the unproven rumour of BPA contamination then that’s their problem.”

its ok – they would have a fit when they realise what my onsite recycling facility for paper is…..

scuttler

If this was mumsnet then correspondents would have commented on how infuriating it is trying to negotiate a £700 pushchair around bins haphazardly replaced by council operatives post emptying, whilst still not bothering to move them aside for others. But its actiondadsworld instead so where the owner is obvious I park the particularly obstructive ones back on the steps/driveway even If I’ve not got the pushchair.

Basking in karma (and bin germs) all the way.

slowoldgit
    Free Member

Thanks to wombat for giving me a way to relieve retirement tedium.

wwaswas

Careful chaps…

A man dialled 999 to complain about the position of a wheelie bin on his Cheltenham street last night.

Police responded with the full force of the law, armed with handguns and tasers. Yes, you read the gun part right.

Officers went to Russell Shurmer’s house in the area of Hatherley after his neighbour, George Clifton, 65, complained to cops that Russell’s green bin was far too close to the window of his living room

(as an aside wtf is that little boot rack doing on the Mustang?)

matt_outandabout

Police said Mr Clifton threatened violence in the call and armed officers arrived, recommending that Mr Shurmer move his bin.

It is the latest turn of events in an ongoing dispute between the pair, which has previously seen 65-year-old Mr Clifton convicted for assaulting his neighbour with a 20-inch handsaw and racially abusing his wife.

Read more: http://www.gloucestershireecho.co.uk/Armed-police-Tasers-respond-999-position-wheelie/story-27595796-detail/story.html#ixzz3igC5duSt

IdleJon

I firmlly rely on the retirees opposite us as well to inform me of brown or black…

I rely on the flats opposite. This week I put out a 70s sideboard, a stained mattress and threw the black bags over the railway sidings. 😆

Onzadog
    Free Member

We can follow the advice to shred out paper or the advice to recycle it. However, we are not allowed to recycle shredded paper.

madhouse

We can follow the advice to shred out paper or the advice to recycle it. However, we are not allowed to recycle shredded paper.

It’s the same here – what’s that all about?

nickjb
    Free Member

You can compost shredded paper (and the contents of your vacuum cleaner to an earlier poster).

wombat

slowoldgit – Member

Thanks to wombat for giving me a way to relieve retirement tedium.

You’re welcome 🙂

crankboy
    Free Member

well I was confused today half the street had green out half brown , so I put out both just to avoid causing offence.

trail_rat
    Free Member

shreaded paper is great for starting the stove.

wwaswas

I have no idea how to embed this video but the wheelie bins in Brighton have achieved sentience, are congregating and shouting ‘exterminate’.

https://twitter.com/BrightonNewsJo/status/631792599062417408

Viewing 19 posts - 41 through 59 (of 59 total)

The topic ‘Mumsnet type thread – Wheelie bins outside my house!’ is closed to new replies.