• This topic has 123 replies, 51 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by rogg.
Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 124 total)
  • Mumsnet is far more entertaining than i could have ever imagined
  • mrchrispy

google mumsnet and hora.
    hit no.2 just screams of hora, lololololz

TuckerUK
    Free Member

ARRSE is massive.

It’s also a propaganda tool.

I commented in a discussion there many moons ago about some guy that had been shot on a UK range with a 5.56mm weapon in fully auto mode (I forget the weapon, it’s not important). The accident occurred at very close range, and I commented how that would be particularly nasty as the NATO 5.56mm bullet is designed to yaw and break up over a certain velocity.

I was quickly intercepted by a serving member of the forces telling how that was nonsense, illegal, against the Geneva Convention etc. etc.

The thread went on with me provided links and evidence, but still this one guy would insist it was all lies.

No one joined to defend the unequivocal evidence.

I’ve not been on since.

wrecker
    Free Member

Really? Have you looked in the NAAFI? or the badgers arrse?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Pook

hora stands for election

<shudder>

xcgb
    Free Member

Liking some of the login names

PenisVanLesbian

IloveJudgeJudy

tillyfernackerpants

SpottyTeacakes

bravohotel8er
    Free Member

TuckerUK – Member

ARRSE is massive.

I commented in a discussion there many moons ago about some guy that had been shot on a UK range with a 5.56mm weapon in fully auto mode (I forget the weapon, it’s not important). The accident occurred at very close range, and I commented how that would be particularly nasty as the NATO 5.56mm bullet is designed to yaw and break up over a certain velocity.

I was quickly intercepted by a serving member of the forces telling how that was nonsense, illegal, against the Geneva Convention etc. etc.

The thread went on with me provided links and evidence, but still this one guy would insist it was all lies.

I’ve not been on since.

Woah!

Hold the front page. Are you telling us that a serving soldier knew more about firearms than some bloke off a special interest cycling forum?

You’re right, this conspiracy must go all the way to the top.

fervouredimage
    Free Member

I’ve not been on since.

😆 Classic.

Oh, you’re serious.

schrickvr6
    Free Member

hora stands for erection

<shudder>

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

I used to work in defence making stuff to track bullets, and i think the laws governing firearms are different for the forces and the police. Police shoot to kill, forces don’t, and they use different bullets iirc.

Seems a strange topic on a forum for Mums though.

schrickvr6
    Free Member

are you from another planet..!?

Venus? Or maybe Mars?

wrecker
    Free Member

Police shoot to kill, forces don’t,

You seem like a good chap but ???????? 😯

and they use different bullets iirc.

I don’t know what five-0 use but the forces use a standard 5.56x45mm Ball round.

hora
    Free Member

Nowt to do with me…leave me out of this! 😆

I once said to mrshora ‘why dont you pose that question on mumsnet’ and her answer 😯 me. Even she said they were nuts.

maccruiskeen

are you from another planet..!?
    Venus? Or maybe Mars?

chapeau!

fasthaggis

I can’t believe ,that peterfile started a thread on MumsNet,about cars with big boot space.

peterfile
    Free Member

Police shoot to kill, forces don’t, and they use different bullets iirc.

I had a job working as a precognition agent for a criminal firm when I was at university (basically involves going to get statements from prosecution witnesses in the lead up to a trial).

Favourite part was precognosing firearms officers, they’d always give me a peek in the confiscated weapons room.

On my first outing, after a client had been shot by police, I asked whether they had “shot to kill or wound”. The copper gave a chuckle and pointed out that it’s not like it is on the telly, if someone has a gun in a public place and you’re required to fire, you aim for the biggest bit (i.e. torso) and fire, repeating as necessary until the person is no longer a threat to others. Fortunately for our client, he dropped his weapon (involuntarily it would seem) after only being shot once (and grounded by a dog) 🙂

hora
    Free Member

cars with big boot space

I could find alot of mileage(!) in that topic… 8)

richmtb

Is STW really one of the biggest forums on the internet?

I would be interested to know what the top 5 are genuinely – ie not just an educated guess.

I don’t know what five-0 use but the forces use a standard 5.56x45mm Ball round.

The Polis are allowed hollow points, military have to use FMJ (ball rounds)

sobriety
    Free Member

The Polis are allowed hollow points,

I though it was specifically the anti-terrorism lot, as terrorists are outside of the Geneva convention.

hora
    Free Member

I think we should routinely arm the PCSO’s whilst Police should stick to truncheons.

swavis
    TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

richmtb – Member

No chance.

GrahamS

was actually amazed at how prolific STW is. Every time I google a query, STW has a thread on the first or second page of google

That is just because Google “knows” you spend a lot of time here and tend to follow search results that lead here. Personalised Search see?

You wouldn’t necessarily get the same results on a PC you’d never used before that wasn’t logged in to any of your Google accounts.

hora
    Free Member

😆 Oh I still remember it like it was yesterday!

peterfile
    Free Member

That is just because Google “knows” you spend a lot of time here and tend to follow search results that lead here. Personalised Search see?

You wouldn’t necessarily get the same results on a PC you’d never used before that wasn’t logged in to any of your Google accounts.

Really?

I feel violated in a sort of helpful way.

I can understand the principle behind it, but surely that narrows your exposure to the WWW in effect? And how come exgirlfriendmarket doesn’t show up more often when I search since I spend as much time there as I do on STW?

molgrips
    Free Member

You have to belong to the Google ad network thingy, it doens’t do it for all sites. They don’t advertise for you for free.

Big – no. High profile – maybe. It definitely comes up in google searches a lot, but maybe they know I spend a lot of time on here.

GrahamS

Really. Since about 2009 actually.

how come exgirlfriendmarket doesn’t show up more often when I search since I spend as much time there as I do on STW?

Dunno. Google magic. Maybe it doesn’t have a decent PageRank?

hora
    Free Member

google ‘knows’

So will it offer me asian babes in unusual positions? How come there are no ads for related products on there? 8)

richmtb

I though it was specifically the anti-terrorism lot, as terrorists are outside of the Geneva convention.

Pretty sure your average gun-toting crim isn’t covered by the Geneva convention.

[miltary geek]I think the exemption is for the likes of the SAS who are sometimes called in to deal with terrorists like the Iranian Embassy in 1980. They are allowed to use hollow points and other special ammo in these situation, primarily as the don’t want FMJ bullets passing through a terrorist and then a hostage, or through a wall and an innocent on the other side. They extra stopping power is a bonus. Police use hollow points for similar reasons[/military geek]

hora
    Free Member

I used to be in the Army.

SamCooke
    Free Member

Now I’m intrigued. You mean if we all googled the same phrase we would end up with different ordered lists?

Can we try?

say…

“homeopathic healthcare”

[PDF]

1) http://www.gloriakimberley.com/files/Homeopathy_Factsheet.pdf

2) http://www.keriwilliams.net

3) http://www.keriwilliams.net/?page_id=10

scuzz
    Free Member

The Google search thing stands in the way of my fundamental use of the internet. I want a balanced view of the world! I now use other search engines.

But, FOR SCIENCE, my google results…:
    Homeopathic Healthcare
    1)www.homeopathy-cures.com/
    2)a book on Amazon
    3)A journal on Springer

Edit: although “”s squew it

richmtb

I used to be in the Army.

Are you “In the Navy” now

hora
    Free Member

wrecker
    Free Member

The Geneva Conventions apply in wars between two or more sovereign states.

The geneva convention wouldn’t apply to bank robbers, hostage takers etc. It actually doesn’t apply to most of the Taliban either as they’d be classed as mercenaries.

SamCooke
    Free Member

GrahamS

Now I’m intrigued. You mean if we all googled the same phrase we would end up with different ordered lists?

Possibly. Depends what related stuff you’ve looked at.
    (for that phrase my list is the same as yours)

The Google search thing stands in the way of my fundamental use of the internet. I want a balanced view of the world! I now use other search engines.

Or you could just turn it off, as detailed in that blog post and many many many other sites?

xcgb
    Free Member

Or you could just turn it off, as detailed in that blog post and many many many other sites?

Yeah but he’d have to google it to find out how! 🙂

glenh
    Free Member

Yes, this is why Google is directly contributing to extremism in all forms. And probably terrorism too.

scuzz
    Free Member

It’s one of the many reasons why I dislike Google. Turning it off isn’t an option if you clear cookies fairly regularly and don’t want to be signed in all the time. And anyway, who are you to question my choices? Sod off!
    (And yes, I am aware that clearing cookies would revert it to a ‘virgin state’ untouched by my search history so it shouldn’t matter, but I do an awful lot of searching and it builds up surprisingly quickly. And stop presuming I am a moron! I’m overcompensating because I know I didn’t spell skew correctly)

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 124 total)

The topic ‘Mumsnet is far more entertaining than i could have ever imagined’ is closed to new replies.