Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 125 total)
  • Mumford and Sons
  • DezB
    Free Member

You surely didn’t expect to get full agreement on a music thread on STW binners? I mean look, just look! at some of the shit people are “re-discovering” on that other music thread. Jeez.
    I’m keeping off music threads where opinions are expressed. It’s too depressing.
    (Yes, from what little I’ve heard of Mumford and whatever they are hideous. And hideously unoriginal which is the biggest crime in my book)

brooess
    Free Member

Same as that Mr Hawley,not bad ,just can’t get all the hype.

<Puts hands over ears and tries to pretend I never heard such sacrilege>

fasthaggis

Sorry brooess,I have a bit of previous.
    A mate once gave me a Jeff Buckley album ,telling me it would be a life changing listen.
    I handed it back two days later and said that it just didn’t do anything for me.
    He was almost in tears 😉

Kahurangi

Knowing how much the STW fashionista massif are wrought in angst and loathing, I like them all the more now.

In fact, I think I’ll listen to them on my drive this evening for a weekend of NZ back country riding.

CountZero

I’ll admit to not being at all offended by M&S, I find the energetic foot-tapping nature of their songs enjoyable, and in a small-ish venue, after a few drinks, a fair bit of jigging around would ensue. However, a whole album does get a bit same-ey, they don’t have much light-and-shade in their music.
    All this guff about them being faux-folk, or whatever, is quite frankly, a load of pseudy bollocks; Christ, some of you sound like a bunch of poncy Guardianistas! Get over yerselves! 🙄
    And I have actually seen them live, although it was in Hyde Park, in the middle of the afternoon. Give the lads their due, they worked bloody hard, but the appropriate atmosphere was decidedly lacking.
    Arcade Fire, on the other hand, were outstanding!

pootle
    Free Member

The music industry is full of too many poshos all pretending to be something they aint, singing about a life they’ve never lived or experienced.

I’m not sure that’s entirely fair here. I don’t recall them singing about being paupers.

They do sing about coming out of a cave walking on your hands but I’ve always considered that quite a classless act.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I’m keeping off music threads where opinions are expressed. It’s too depressing.

Extraordinary.

DezB
    Free Member

Thanks 🙂

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Not in a good way DezzieBee. 😐

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

diddly music. its banished to post 7pm on radio 2.

IHN

I was thinking about this last night.

In some ways, Mumford and Sons are indeed the new Coldplay (and I’m not just talking about their lead singers’ propensities for shacking up with pretty ladies what I’d like to shack up with).

As a rule, those who enjoy their music are content to do that, and content that others may not. Those who do not enjoy their music are outraged that others might, and feel the need to criticise both the bands and those who listen to them.

I think that says far more about one group than the other.

Klunk
    Free Member

a poor mans arcade fire with incredibly irritating banjo, bloody awful.

convert

As a rule, those who enjoy their music are content to do that, and content that others may not. Those who do not enjoy their music are outraged that others might, and feel the need to criticise both the bands and those who listen to them.

Nicely put. I can’t imagine what it must be like to live in the head of someone who feels the need to have rage about what other people listen to. Insecure maybe? It can’t be they want them to listen to what they listen to because they thrive on being “individual”.

rattrap
    Free Member

All this guff about them being faux-folk, or whatever, is quite frankly, a load of pseudy bollocks

I’m going to argue the opposite here – the reason being that one of the most wonderful things about the ‘real’ modern folk bands is that they’re keeping really old songs, that are part of our history and culture, alive

if you look at, for example, Bellowhead – most of the songs on their albums are arrangements of old songs, really old traditional folksongs such as Broomfield Hill and Byker hill. Similar with the Unthanks, that blended in with some more modern stuff, the old traditional songs are there, keeping the heritage alive like ‘Gallowgate lad’ alongside other well rooted social commentary like ‘Close the coalhouse door’

its not the same as stealing a few lyrics from a Shakespeare play and claiming ‘inspiration’ from the odd twelfth century poem.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

A few years back it was all Fleet Foxes in green fields around here…

IHN

God, I HATE Fleet Foxes. Who listems to that shit? 😉

Pook

I saw m+s with Laura marling and the dhofar project. m+s were the support act. Honestly one of the most enjoyable gigs I’ve been to. Indian folk with marling’s voice and decent backing. Great.

I saw arcade fire at the leadmill in Sheffield a couple of years back – when they were being lauded by bono and Madonna. About 40 of the band came on to the stage, and a bloke in a smock started banging a drainpipe with a drum stick. The students loved it.

MrSalmon
    Free Member

They’re alright, MrsSalmon got the first album and it’s had a few listens but not lately. They’re fishing in a fairly shallow musical pool but they’re a long way from someone like Dido in the ‘music for people that don’t like music’ stakes.
    Don’t see why anyone would care whether they’re public schoolboys or have fought their way up from the streets though. They do what they do, take it or leave it.

ohnohesback
    Free Member

Middle class, middle aged, post-menopauasal, hormonally unstable, radio 2 mum music. A galloping pox upon Munford and Sons!

verses

Those who do not enjoy their music are outraged that others might, and feel the need to criticise both the bands and those who listen to them.

The thing that jars with me is that the scale of praise is disproportionate. I have the same problem with Oasis, Coldplay, and many others who I can’t think of at the moment.

M+S, Oasis and Coldplay all make, reasonable enough music – I have no particular dislike for them but I personally find them bland and uninteresting.
    What I do dislike is that there are many other bands around that don’t get airplay due to them dominating the airwaves. These bands aren’t better or worse, just not the flavour of the moment or haven’t piqued the interest of the right music industry bods.

In this day and age we have loads of ways to access the music we prefer so it’s not too much of a problem, but 10+ years ago it meant finding something non-mainstream to listen to was a chore.
    </my_2p>

PS, MrSmith for president…

headfirst
    Free Member

This thread has been a revelation, due to discovering something previously unknown. I thank you deeply Mr Smith for your mention of

Miele washing machines

OMG!!! Miele do washing machines??!![/i] I bought the Miele Cat and Dog Vac on the strength of STW reviews and have lived happily since, now I know I will no longer be happy until…… the quest begins.

joao3v16
    Free Member

They do what they do, take it or leave it.

But this is not the STW way!

On here it’s “Take it or make-a-massive-issue-of-telling-everyone-how-sh1t-they-are-and-anyone-who-disagrees-is-wrong-and-an-arse it”

DezB
    Free Member

Those who do not enjoy their music are outraged that others might, and feel the need to criticise both the bands and those who listen to them.

Yes, because there are so many many many BETTER things they could be listening to! That’s who I’m upset for: those artistes out there making decent music being ignored because someone is moronically tapping along to Momford and whoever. Yes. (Maybe).

thx1138
    Free Member

Ephemeral dross. Glib faux-folk for middle England middle management who feel they are being reminded of their gap year (that was the same as everybody else’s) while listening to their whimsical dirge.
    Music to replace the awkward silences at middle class dinner parties once the topics of schools and Miele washing machines have been exhausted, it was Coldplay now it’s dickhead and brethren.
    Sanitised watered down folk pop for latte drinking cretins who secretly want to be the short one from top gear.
    Sixth form poetry for bedwetters.

I could go on but I’ll stop now.

😆

Brilliant. Really made me laugh, that. Just shown that post to a colleague who loves M+Sons. I won’t repeat what he said. 😮

I can’t say I’ve knowingly ever heard any of their songs though, so I cannot comment further.

IHN

Yes, because there are so many many many BETTER things they could be listening to!

Here’s a whacky idea; why don’t you listen to what you like, and let others do the same?

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

those artistes

😆

wattsymtb
    Free Member

I am blown away at the the number of people on this thread that clearly have a massive issue with opinions on music in general. Why click on a thread that is clearly about a band and then express how affronted you are that people have opinions of them.

Opinions on an internet forum…….. whatever next.

And as for the anonymity thing, I would, and regularly do have similar debates in social circles and pubs etc. Don’t you all? Or is sort of topic considered just too damb close to the mark?

DezB
    Free Member

Here’s a whacky idea; why don’t you listen to what you like, and let others do the same?

Huh? Does expressing an opinion mean I am actually trying to stop people listening to anything? 😕

Here’s a whacky idea; why don’t you think what you think and I’ll think what I think?

IHN

Does expressing an opinion mean I am actually trying to stop people listening to anything?

Well, this:

Yes, because there are so many many many BETTER things they could be listening to! That’s who I’m upset for: those artistes out there making decent music being ignored because someone is moronically tapping along to Momford and whoever.

..sounds like you are telling people who listen to stuff that you don’t like that they are morons, that they should stop listening to the stuff that they like but you don’t and instead listen to stuff that you do.

Hardly listen and let listen, eh?

benjii19
    Free Member

I CAN NOT BELIEVE I JUST READ THROUGH THIS THREAD!!! I’m now going to have to listen to some obscure sh!t like I did in my early twenties. Now If I like it I like it.

M+S they are OK, now where did I put my REO SPEEDWAGON CD.

IHN

Reo Speedwagon – now you’re talking

Aaaaand I’m gooon-na keep o-oon looo-ving yooouuuuuuuuu…

🙂

joao3v16
    Free Member

Is this thread another case of STW trying to quantify something that’s purely personal/subjective?

Excellent!

😀

rexated
    Free Member

Is this thread another case of STW trying to quantify something that’s purely personal/subjective?

Yes. But it needs to be said all the same: Awful awful awful. And that’s my opinion, which in my opinion is better than anyone else’s.

rexated
    Free Member

Oh, and I think it is sad thing that we are letting reasoned discussion regarding the legitimacy of other people’s perspectives detract from the unavoidable truth the OP opined.

MrSmith
    Free Member

binners

Oh Sweet baby Jesus on a ****ing bendybus, they’re still at it!!!

It sounds exactly like every other ****ing god-awful track they’ve ever released. Only far far worse, as its the 16th re-hash of the same bloody awful faux folk tripe. it was insufferably twee and smug to bloody start with!!! Its unbearable now. Why oh why oh why are 6 music playing this twoddle? Surely to christ this is purely Radio 2 fodder

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I think they’re playing it so you can have a good rant about it. It helps you feel better without justifying it about your superior tastes in music.

CountZero

deadlydarcy – Member
    I think they’re playing it so you can have a good rant about it. It helps you feel better without justifying it about your superior tastes in music.

#snigger

DezB
    Free Member

They’re still shit though

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I’m just relieved that somebody listens to them as it enables me to travel a few inches further up my own arse with what I like…which I couldn’t do if everybody else liked my favourite artistes too.

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 125 total)

The topic ‘Mumford and Sons’ is closed to new replies.