Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Multitool question
  • p7eaven
    Free Member

I have a Victorinox Swiss Champ which covers most bases for my sort of faffing about in the outdoors, camping, gardening jobs. Yet it lacks big sturdy pliers and/or an adjustable spanner. Looked at a Leatherman but it seems I’d just be doubling up on a lot of tools for the addition of a larger set of pliers.

Not averse to carrying two multitools.

Is there such a thing as a pair of pliers with an adjustable spanner/wrench/molegrip? Add wire-cutter feature = even betterer 🙂

(Stainless steel preferable)

Bonus: What’s your favourite multitool and why?

thehustler
    Free Member

oceanskipper

I have a Gerber that I’ve had for nearly 20 years. I love it because I can get the pliers out one handed – just a flick of the wrist extends them and locks them in place. Perfect sailor’s tool. Very much like this Gerber

CountZero

Dunno about pliers with a wrench in one tool, I’ve got a Gerber MT800 that I bought several years ago as a replacement for one I lost, that I had as a Christmas present years back. Mine was an ex-demo one from a retailer in America via eBay, about half the price of a new one. I love it, it’s not really one-handed, but it has a couple of particularly useful features; the cutters on the pliers are tungsten-carbide triangular inserts, if an edge gets damaged then just undoing a little Torx screw allows the insert to be rotated to a fresh edge. They were especially useful at work when we had to separate the keys for certain makes of car, and the keys often came joined with a wire security holder; the wire is incredibly hard, it just put deep gouges into the cutting edges of ordinary pliers or hard-wire cutters, my Gerber just chomped straight through.
    The other thing is the saw – it comes with a replaceable Remgrit blade, but Black&Decker jigsaw blades fit, so I carry several blades for metal and wood in the belt pouch, handy for cutting branches and stuff.

AlasdairMc

A Knipex Cobra XS will do most of what you’re asking for. It’s small and light enough to carry it in addition to a multi tool.

captainclunkz
    Free Member

I’ve had a Leatherman Fuse for 15 years and would be lost without it. Why not add another superb tool to your collection.

p7eaven
    Free Member

Thanks for suggestions all.

Why not add another superb tool to your collection.

Hmm, afaics – I’d only be adding it for the pliers/wire cutters? Nice though it is! Also looked at a Leatherman Crunch but £130! May just get some decent locking pliers with cutter? Should cover most eventualities in a pinch 🥁tish 😀

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Multitool question’ is closed to new replies.