Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Multitool, makita 18V
  • Ambrose

Over the past month I’ve had a few situations where an oscillating multitool would have been really useful. I’m slowly removing stop-gap bodges in my damp ridden house and there have been innumerable times that a multitool would have been my go to if I had one.

Has anyone seen any deals for cordless (18V) Makita multitools, preferably with cutters etc. I can live without a box/ bag tbh but hey ho, whatever there is I’m open to.

Thanks in advance 🙂

BigJohn

I don’t know of any deals but from what I can tell you’ve made a good choice. I have a green Bosch corded one. You have to screw the blades on with an Allen key which gets a bit of a chore. Other than that it’s fine but I wish it would break so I can get a Makita.
    And yes, they have loads of uses. They’re like dishwashers. It takes ages to justify getting one, but if it stops working you’re straight away searching for “next day delivery”.

zilog6128

HUKD usually has all the deals, set up an alert. Just be aware that there are a few different models and not all of them are tool free.

kayak23

It’s not much but until tomorrow (31st Oct) use code CLEARPAYX at FFX tools for 7% off.

I swear if you buy something from FFX, they then bombard you with 7% discount codes for days after, when you’ve already bought the thing you need.

Cougar

As an inveterate bodger and fiddler, is it bad that I don’t have the first clue what an oscillating multitool is, let alone why I might need one?

Do I need one?

Ambrose

You need one. When you find a good deal, please let me know.

Ambrose

Cougar

😁

frankconway

Yes, you need one.
    Doesn’t matter that you don’t know what it does; get one – you’re a bloke and that’s a good enough reason.
    Oscillating saws is where it’s at; different blades of different lengths for different materials.
    Yeah!

marksnook
    Free Member
    spooky_b329

I particularly like the smooth blades with no teeth, suitable for those occasions when you need to cut or trim plastic.

Used mine earlier this week to cut an access hole in the back of my dashboard whilst using a couple of fingers to ensure I didn’t cut into the main wiring loom I was trying to access!

maccruiskeen

using a couple of fingers to ensure I didn’t cut into the main wiring loom I was trying to access!

The technology  was originally designed for hospitals and used for removing plaster casts – the idea being that the small but rapid oscillation will cut hard surfaces efficiently but when the blademeets something fleshy it just jiggles it. So (hearing damage aside and the risk and annoying your neighbours enough to get stabbed) they’re one of the safest power tools around.

spooky_b329

Yep, the only thing more annoying than the noise is when the item you are cutting can vibrate…and nada. Noise and no progress!

configuration
    Free Member

Doesn’t matter that you don’t know what it does; get one – you’re a bloke and that’s a good enough reason.

This is stupid, and quite frankly sexist ‘advice’. Best ignored. The best way to learn about power tools is to speak to someone who is experienced in using them, and perhaps even get them to show you how to use them. This neanderthal attitude about ‘man need tool’ puts people in hospital. Why unnecessarily burden our already knackered NHS? Sorry; I’m sure the comment was meant in jest, but foolish male go driven bravado is one of my pet hates, as I’ve seen too many nasty avoidable incidents involving men and power tools.

Rant over. That said, an oscillating multitool is reasonably safe, used correctly. A good safety tip is to remove the battery or unplug the tool when changing bits. Common sense. Such tools are really useful for cutting through plasterboard say for installing a new power socket, but really do take care that you don’t cut into live cables. Yep, seen that done. They are very versatile, but more a jack of all trades type tool. Good for reaching places inaccessible to other tools.

https://www.sgs-engineering.com/help-advice/uses-for-your-oscillating-multi-tool/?gclid=CjwKCAjw5P2aBhAlEiwAAdY7dC8C57PGaiZOoxYHqXy4VHVpNauJF-x2PMalAr1a05M_nCuVKC6SAhoCY6gQAvD_BwE

frankconway

Yawn; you’re still struggling with sense of humour bypass.

simon_g

They’re very handy for awkward little cuts that are hard to get any other saw into. Good as a detail sander too.

In Makita 18v land, you’re choosing between:

DTM50 – which I have and it’s fine, although allen bolt tool change
    DTM51 – bit pricier but no allen key needed (lever and a pin that comes out instead)
    DTM52 – pricier still, brushless and tool free BUT only takes the new starlock blades – they’re easier to get hold of now but still more expensive than the old flat sort.

I’d go for DTM51 these days, just get the bare tool (Z on the end) for around £100 and pick up some generic blades from somewhere like https://www.keybladesandfixings.com/

configuration
    Free Member

Yawn; you’re still struggling with sense of humour bypass.

It’s all shits and giggles, until somebody giggles and shits…

maccruiskeen

This neanderthal attitude about ‘man need tool’ puts people in hospital.

Are you advocating people steal the cast saws from their local NHS?

I like your thinking.

Ambrose

‘I’d go for DTM51 these days, just get the bare tool (Z on the end) for around £100 and pick up some generic blades ‘
    Which is exactly what I have just done, from marksnook, above.

Fast fix have a 20% off code showing on their eBay page. (Code is ‘SPEND20’, valid until midnight I think).

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/125281343549?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=zbkmzuuatku&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=wDbluEvkRH2&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.