Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Multiple streaming services…
  • the-muffin-man

…are you more likely to not subscribe to any of them?

With more on the way and each holding on to their ‘crown-jewel’ programmes I’m less inclined to subscribe to any of them. We currently have a Netflix sub which gets used a lot and Prime – but Prime is more for the delivery aspect than the TV. I wouldn’t buy it as a standalone service.

The market is just going to be so fragmented than no one will know what service a programme is on. Are they banking on the vast majority of people subscribing to 4, 5, 6 at a time?

To me the market will be so diluted that each service will have a few big-hitter programmes and a load of filler that you’d never watch.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-50077673

sharkbait
    Free Member

I was reading that earlier. We’re the same as you (Netflix and Prime for delivery… video seems a bit rubbish) – the idea of subscribing to multiple services is just not going to happen for a lot of people.
    I’m really not sure where this will all end.

mickyfinn
    Free Member

I’m not sure. For the Sky subscribers out there, Netflix,Prime,Apple + Disney (especially when Sky’s rights to this expires next year) could still work out a lot cheaper than their Sky sub with the loss of not very much really as Sky’s dedicated programming is (with the odd exception) rubbish.

moonsaballoon

I think it will lead to people using dodgy streams a lot more . We got rid of virgin tv and have a now tv box , Netflix and prime . Saved us about £30 a month , I’m not spending that on more tv services .

Will be interesting how much the Disney one will cost in the uk as with Star Wars and all the marvel stuff that could be tempting but I have a feeling they will over charge and people will just find other ways to watch .

there needs to be a Spotify type service for tv and movies , one reasonable monthly payment and access to most of the services and I’m sure most people would cough up .

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I’m not sure. For the Sky subscribers out there, Netflix,Prime,Apple + Disney (especially when Sky’s rights to this expires next year) could still work out a lot cheaper than their Sky sub with the loss of not very much really as Sky’s dedicated programming is (with the odd exception) rubbish.

+1

They’re banking on those people who spent £40 a month on Sky instead subscribing to multiple services.

Suppose the advantage to a savvy consumer is you can binge watch Breaking Bad on AMC or wherever and then cancel it, binge watch House of Cards on Netflix, cancel it, Good Omens on Amazon, etc. So you only need to subscribe to one or two at a time to get some variety.

Cougar

To me the market will be so diluted that each service will have a few big-hitter programmes and a load of filler that you’d never watch.

Some may argue that this has already happened.

I have a shared Netflix account which costs me like a quid a month, and Prime which I signed up to by accident but seems to be mostly paying for itself in Amazon delivery fees. If I had to choose one over the other I’d probably do what TINAS suggests and jump between the two every few months. I’m giving serious thought to cancelling my Sky subscription, about the only thing I watch on Sky is Only Connect and I could get that on terrestrial if I could be arsed to get my aerial repaired.

Prime pisses me off a bit though in that it still wants additional fees for some content above and beyond the subscription. Five quid to watch a ten year old film? I rather think not.

The bottom line for me is that I spend as much money as I can / want on media, be that shinydiscs or streaming services. That’s not going to change, so the more hoops I have to jump through in order to watch something, the more I’m likely just to not watch it or seek alternative methods.

TheBrick
    Free Member

This is exactly why I don’t subscribe, tried Amazon prime for year, didn’t use the delivery much as the TV was crap had to pay extra for anything worth watching.

Have been tempted by Netflix.

For me subscription doesn’t work as I am too infrquent a watcher but one good subscription could be justified but it seems it would need to change.month by month!
    Hang on there is a business model there!

johndoh
    Free Member

and Prime which I signed up to by accident but seems to be mostly paying for itself in Amazon delivery fees

But look carefully at the cost for the item being sent via Prime – more and more recently I have found the same product available on a non-Prime listing for a cheaper price.

escrs
    Free Member

Have Netflix and Prime but only pay for one

With Netflix and Prime your allowed so may devices per account, so my inlaws have a Prime account which allows 3 devices (their TV, Their laptop, our TV)

Then we have a Netflix account which allows 6 devices (but only 2 can stream at the same time) so my inlaws have it on their TV and laptop and we have it on our TV and other devices

Easy way of getting both services but only paying for one

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

For me subscription doesn’t work as I am too infrquent a watcher but one good subscription could be justified but it seems it would need to change.month by month!

Depends where you draw the line on VFM and tolerance to binge watching. There’s so much stuff on Netflix that you really would have to be picky to not enjoy any of it. There’s an element of paralysis by analysis though, if you’re not prepared to click on something you’ve not heard of from the “recommended” list then it can be overwhelming. Whereas linear broadcast TV just puts Coronation Street on at 8pm and your watching it or nothing. Power on Netflix isn’t exactly the wire, but it’s still infinitely better than Eastenders. So on a quiet evening by the time I’ve watched the news, had dinner, an episode of that and maybe something more high brow like Flint Town it’s time to do the ironing and go to bed.

DezB
    Free Member

the same product available on a non-Prime listing for a cheaper price

Eg. eBay.

My free Prime is ending, I thought I would stream more off there, but after The Boys, nothing.
    Netflix content is far better.
    The Boys series 2, I’ll get without Prime.

avdave2

I part subscribe to Netflix with the ex wife and kids, I just pay for the additional user. I subscribe to Spotify family and the kids are on that with me. My dad has Sky but only ever watches by the box so I can watch that via my laptop.

I’ve currently got Prime for another month, forgot to end the one week for 99p offer. I’ve made good use of watching a few films for the month but it really doesn’t come close to Netflix so I certainly won’t renew it.

Can’t see myself signing up for anything else and agree there is the danger that none of the services will have the income to create really great programming if it all becomes too fragmented.

FuzzyWuzzy

I think it’s going to mean 1-2 years of crapiness before the inevitable consolidation happens (or at least tie-ups), it’s just not a sustainable model to have so many competing streaming services run by content creators. Good content in enough volume is incredibly expensive and aside from Apple and Amazon I can’t see any of them being able to manage it.

I already spend £55 on Sky Q, £12 on Netflix and have Prime as well (although that’s partly offset by delivery savings – but as has been said in a post above this isn’t always as a clear-cut as it might first appear).

I’d maybe sign up for one more service if it were under £10 and offered good UHD content – after that I’d have to look at cutting down my Sky Q package (to be honest I should already drop movies as only one or two a month are even worth watching…).

If Apple’s service takes off (I think it will struggle personally but then they have deep pockets) and Amazon invests more in Prime I think Netflix will be in trouble if they don’t do at least a tie-in deal with Disney & HBO (e.g. £20 a month for access to all three).

cinnamon_girl

Am probably the exception here but I don’t subscribe to any services. Occasionally I’ll rent a film via the mighty ‘A’ who I usually try to avoid at all costs, as has been mentioned there are cheaper companies than them for other products. Have considered ditching the tv licence and paying for streaming but not impressed with the offerings so far.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Multiple streaming services…’ is closed to new replies.