Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 62 total)
  • Multiple bike owners, do you…?
  • ajantom

(I suspect most of us own N+1 or many 😁 Ns)

This is more about MTBs than road bikes. Though the same could go for skinnier tyres too.

Do you rotate your bikes, or choose one based on conditions, or have a current favourite, or pick one at random, or realise you haven’t ridden one in a while and ride it out of guilt, or another system entirely?

I do a bit of all of the above tbh.

I go through phases… putting about 2000 consecutive KM on my Stooge this summer. Then in Autumn switching between that and my 150mm hardtail for a couple of months.

I realised I’d not ridden my full sus in 9 months, so took that for a ride yesterday (didn’t really need suspension for the ride, but it was fun!)
    Then realised I’d not ridden the Krampus in about 7 months either, so that’s going out tomorrow.

Switching can be weird. Especially between a fully rigid and a full sus. Took me most of yesterday’s ride to remember how to ride the bouncy bike again. Felt very odd, until it clicked and it didn’t.

tomhoward

A combination of whatever mood takes me snd the kind of ride we are doing. If I haven’t ridden one for a while I’ll make a point of going somewhere to use it properly. No real favourite tbh, they’re all ace.

Contact points are all pretty similar, so no weirdness, even swapping between extremes of 180/160mm big bike and rigid 29er/fatbike, tend to keep bikes a while too so even if I haven’t ridden one for a while, it’s familiar to get back on.

munrobiker
    Free Member

I ride my full susser from April to November, then my hardtail for winter, races and either mellower rides or race training rides. The mileages work out roughly equal over a year.

rockandrollmark

I’ve a posh (to me) full suspension trail bike for when the weather’s not filthy. Once it gets foul though the rigid fat bike running much cheaper components comes out.

The main reason I bought a second bike was to keep the winter wear on the posh bike to a minimum, and being rigid and 10sp Deore it requires a lot less cleaning and maintenance. That said, I’m glad I bought a fattie for a winter hack as it’s sufficiently different to the trail bike that it’s easy to justify as a second MTB.

It’s not an exclusive affair though. Both bikes get a look in year-round.

andrewh
    Free Member

Different ones for different things.
    Race bike for racing.
    Big bike for when I really massive suspension
    Day to day bike for most stuff.
    Same with road bikes, TT bike for TTs, race bike for racing and fast summer club runs, cross bike for cross and day to day bike for most stuff, including commuting.
    The day to day bikes do probably 80-90% of the riding between them and don’t get looked after very well. The others get ridden much less but are always given a full strip and rebuild when they are, they are immaculate.

colournoise

Like others have said, as far as possible I try to keep contact points (Fabric saddle, Uberbike grips, Nukeproof pedals) and ‘body geometry’ as close as possible between bikes so swapping around isn’t a huge issue. Same goes for gearing too – all are 1 x 10 or 1 x 9 (or will be once rebuilt).

Of the bikes that currently get used…

The RocketMAX is basically super overkill for the local woodsy singletrack so, much as I love it, it really only gets a run out on away days in the proper hills or when I really feel like wrestling it around the woods.

2020 08 07 bike 082 13

At the moment the rest of the time my Transmitter gets used, since it’s such a brilliant all rounder. Once I’ve got it tweaked and rebuilt, my ancient Epic will take over for fitness stuff and non ‘playful’ local rides as it’s a tad faster for that.

2020 11 08 bike 104 07

2020 12 06 bike 111 04

My old BFe is still set up as a singlespeed bikejoring rig, and I really need to give it some more regular use as that.

2020 08 11 bike 084 03

For pure tarmac jaunts, I still occasionally drag out the flat bar bamboo Road bike.

2020 07 23 bamboo bike mk4

Northwind

I ride #1 bike probably 8 times out of 10. I built an XC-ified big bike but I never really seem to ride it. And the fatbike gets brought out randomly and with no relation to whether it makes any sense. And the dh bike about twice a year but it’s always hilarious.

ta11pau1

As per colournoise, I’ve got a 150/160mm coil shock full bounce which is overkill for most of my local riding bar a few spots. I use that mostly on big days in the mountains in the summer, but it’s also perfectly fine towpath bashing.

My 150mm titanium gearbox belt drive hardtail gets used and abused over winter, which is what it’s designed for. Also gets used for rides from the door year round. I will get around to building a set of semi fat 3.0 tyre wheels for it for summer gravel riding too.

Saddles, bars, grips are all kept the same on the 2 bikes.

chestercopperpot
    Free Member

Don’t road bike or commute.

HT for pump tracks, jumping, tamer trails, laid back seafront/town rides etc or when I feel like a bit of fun/smashing my ankles to smithereens when the FS is out of action!

FS trail bike, 160 front, 140 rear, for the nastier DH style trails and rock smashing duties.

Covers me for what I want to do and the trail bike only get’s out of it’s depth at the extremes where I’m out of my depth!

tazzymtb

bike choice is proportional to my beard length, the more like gandalf i get, the more the niche-ego chariots come out to play.

halifaxpete

Hardtail for most of my local riding, but I like to ‘treat’ myself with the full suss occasionally. Whichever bike is in a better state of disrepair is a factor for me too

Onzadog
    Free Member

I generally just take whichever is dirty. No point soiling more bikes than I need to.

If they’re all clean then it’s down to pure whimsy.

jonba
    Free Member

Generally mine are for different purposes.

Sticking to MTB. Rigid single speed gets used on short local rides, normally when conditions are bad. I’ve got a hardtail I’ll use if going a bit further to harder trails and it’s dryer. Will take the hardtail on away days through winter. Full suss is racier so gets used for events, big weekend rides and when conditions are good.

Would like to consolidate the SS and hardtail at some point but the 26″ rigid inbred has little resale value and I’d my oldest bike. An XC hardtail would be better I think.

rickmeister

Just take the rigid fatbike for everything, the new Turbo Levo hasn’t been ridden at all.
    Ibis Moja and Tranny went off to a nephew as they were never getting any use either.

RoterStern
    Free Member

I put my race bike in storage once the weather starts getting foul and the trails permanently sloppy. Then I bring out my singlespeed On One for the winter months until around March. Same for my road bike I have an old steel crosser that I use in the same period if I fancy a change from pedaling like a loon. Tend to do most of my mtbing in the winter and spring as the summer the local trails are too overgrown and autumn is the start of the cross season.

reluctantjumper

Do you rotate your bikes, or choose one based on conditions, or have a current favourite, or pick one at random, or realise you haven’t ridden one in a while and ride it out of guilt, or another system entirely?

All of the above. Entirely depends what mood I’m in! Some bikes sit there for weeks unused while the current favourite gets hammered, other times I’ll rotate them and choose my ride accordingly, other times it’s choose where to ride and take the appropriate bike. Occasionally I’ll choose somwhere to ride any take the least suitable bike just for a laugh.

Mind you, haven’t ridden much this year so they all have a layer of dust on them.

v7fmp

i use my hardtail for local bimbles, night riding and longer xc type rides.

I use my FS (Norco Optic) for everything else. The Optic gets probably twice the use of the HT.

I sometimes yearn after a long travel ‘enduro’ bike, but i cant imagine when i would ever use it. The Optic, although short on travel, is high on ability, so i have no worries about riding it down anything, so would always grab it first!

militantmandy
    Free Member

I use the shorter travel, faster rolling bike for midweek nightrides, or long days out and the big bike for all the scary stuff at the weekends.

a11y

I never one bike that’s optimised for the same type of riding, hence currently a gravel/flat-barred commuter, 130mm FSer and 160mm FSer – ridden in that order. Ideally my 130mm FSer would be a bit lighter, less travel, etc, but everything else about that bike is ideal so I don’t mind the extra.

Alex

Steel hardtail with 2.6 tyres and uglyguards front and rear for mud/slop – normally Nov-Mar. Sometimes take it out int he summer to remind me how to use my legs and arms as suspension.

Nordest Bardino II

140/130 trail bike for 90% of apr-oct riding. Round here that’s more than enough for my ability. It has scant tyre clearance and lots of pivots so I don’t tend to take it out much in the mud.

Pludds - Sep 2021

Big bike (just had a new one) for big days out. But lots more clearance than my previous big FS so it might get a bit more winter action if we go to interesting rocky places. Not light tho so also good for winter fitness.

Nukeproof Giga build

Other than that, Turbo 🙂

I tend to run same tyres (Schwalbe), Grips (Ergon), Saddle (Ergon), long dropper posts, brakes (Shimano). It’s always amusing swapping though for first couple of rides. My Rascal is lighter than my HT. So getting back onto that feels like extra fitness/free speed…

MoreCashThanDash

My one aging mountain bike comes out maybe once a month if I ride with the kids, go to anywhere with “trails”, or just fancy a change on the local gravel paths. Or if we have snow, so the Ice Spikers get put on.

Gravel bike is used most, for quick local trail blasts from the door, or longer trips out when I don’t fancy battling traffic, or roads may be icy.

Summer road bike comes out on nice dry days. Winter road bike (mudguards and dynamo) comes out in bad weather or night time rides. Or audax events, which is why I bought it!

Sandwich

Mountain bike is used when off-road jaunts are happening. There’s a fully mudguarded CX bike for wet/salty roads days, posh road bike for when I feel the need for speed and a hub-geared machine for pootling to the shops.

SirHC

Got a few, but ride them all as much as each other, apart from the pump track bike, maybe an hour a week

Pump track bike – pump tracks
    Smuggler – Midweek XC
    Geometron – Gnarpoon riding
    ebike – when its fixed and back with me!

jree
    Free Member

It’s flat as a pancake where I live so I converted my soul into an xc bike, 100mm forks and all lightweight then I have a burlier bike for harder stuff. I’ve recently realised I only even enjoy hardtails so I’m building an mmmbop up at the moment with 160mm travel.

cookeaa

Part of it is seasonal, part functional for me. The MTB and nice Road bike only really see use when the weather is sunny these days.

My commuter/winter road bike has guards permanently fitted and comes out for weekend spins when the weather is wet (and obviously for trundling to work). The gravel bike gets used year round goes off-road, on-road and in most weathers it serves the same purposes as a HT might if I still had one, helps save the MTB from abuse and wear.

The Fixed bike is for trips to local shops and the pub.

My recently assembled dinglespeed, retro thing is still sort of finding its niche, it seems to work like a Fairweather singlespeed road bike (no guards yet), but with a bailout gear to allow me to get up hills a bit easier I’ve taken it out instead of the winter road bike a couple of times lately on dry, cold days.

So basically they all see use, but some see more in summer and others during winter. my mood and riding plans as much as anything dictate use.

The trick is that none of them actually cost much, if I’d spunked thousands on any of them then I’m sure some weird VFM guilt would creep in and I’d feel compelled to use the most expensive bike the most often…

verses

Rigid single-speed for battling through the winter slop.
    Geared hardtail for nice dry trails and racing.

singlespeedstu

As someone above mentioned. I normally go with the dirtiest one if it’s muddy.
    All of mine have quite similar geo. They just vary in travel length, wheel size and if they have a rear shock.
    Eeb gets used if I’m looking for a quick blast or feeling a bit worn out.
    Hardtail if I’m trying to stay away from tech, though that normally doesn’t work and I’ll pile down something anyway.

Rivett
    Free Member

Currently running a full suss and a hardtail, with one set of wheels that get moved between them. Doesn’t take long to swap the cassette and rotors. Hardtail is used more in the winter slop.

desperatebicycle

Usually random, but the hardtail has been getting a lot more use lately as it’s lighter and I’m finding it more fun at my currently level of fitness.
    Interesting though, was this weekend. My Son is home from Uni and left his bike there. I invited him for a ride with me (he said yes ❤ ) so we used my 27.5 HT and 29 full sus and swapped halfway. He was amazed how different they are (and how short they both are compared to his) – I found my full sus slightly more comfortable seating position-wise. But I struggled to climb on it (heart issues). But down and singletrack it felt like a big ol fast armchair.

nedrapier

– biggest bike for biggest things – uplift days, rogate type places, enduros
    – CX for rides north of here where it gets flatter and the mileage goes up and it’s more about seeing stuff and turning pedals rather than smashing trails.
    – Rigid SS for rides with my slower mate who’s got just got himself a ebike – tried all the bikes and I’m quickest up the hills on the SS. He gets a medium workout too!

Also Rigid SS if I’m feeling brilliant or if I’m feeling meh. No sitting and twiddling if you’re feeling off, got to stand and stomp up the hills. Hello endorphins! Then you feel like cracking on downhill as well, then the adrenaline comes.

jimdubleyou

Nice day out in the North Downs, the Izzo comes out, whatever the trail conditions.

I’ve rigidified my Big Dog for now, that might come out for some quick local blasts round Richmond or Bushy Parks this winter, but it’s mostly used for bikepacking duties.

I have a Brompton (M3L) for train commutes, and a gravel bike (Mk2 Arkose) that’s in road trim for the winter.

wordnumb
    Free Member

Different tools for different jobs. Try to keep the standards same between bikes to avoid different sets of spares, but not the geometry so much.

fathomer

Mountain bikes generally depends where I’m riding or how I feel. Normally hardtail for mellower rides, full sus for bigger days. Though not always.

Road bikes is purely conditions, if it dry out, the non guarded carbon bike is out. If it’s not, then the guarded bike is out.

sharkattack

I’ve never had more then one nice bike at the same time. I think it’s time to address that.

New Norco Sight is good but a bit of a hefty enduro sled. I won’t fully feel the benefit until I can travel to more chunky trails. All my mates want to drag me out on mile munching epics where I’d really benefit from a lighter trail bike.

I keep looking at the Propain Hugene as a more suitable bike for local riding and pedalling out from home. Really don’t want a hardtail.

nedrapier

New Norco Sight is good but a bit of a hefty enduro sled. I won’t fully feel the benefit until I can travel to more chunky trails. All my mates want to drag me out on mile munching epics where I’d really benefit from a lighter trail bike.

Might feel funny having 2 bikes so similar but how about an Optic? Hugene was on my list. Reviews plus UK distributor for Norco got me an Optic instead.

Or just a lightweight wheelset and tyres for the Sight?

ayjaydoubleyou

Full suss 140/130 650b.
    Hardtail 130 29er.

There is some overlap, but also some rides where I would rather not go than take the wrong bike.

TBH mainly down to tyres. Currently the bouncer is on super gravity marys for winter bikepark use. will have more trail type tyres on in the warmer months when hopefully some adventures will be permitted. Got a week in scotland planned next springr, postponed for 2 years.

Hardtail has DHF/minion SS, better for longer xc/trail rides. HAve got an agressor for the rear if things get sloppy. If I pull my finger out and do some XC racing next year some race rubber might be added to the collection.

further consideration, the hardtail has the rear mudhugger currently on, so wet conditions could favour that. Its not long enough to keep my back clean (and I draw the line at the extended version) but it protects the dropper.

windyg
    Free Member

Road bike pretty much stored up for winter I use a fully rigid for crap weather riding on the road.
    Hardtail MTB’s for the wet weather, 27.5 for the worst of it as I just find it more fun.
    Full sus for the better weather and races.

sharkattack

Might feel funny having 2 bikes so similar but how about an Optic? Hugene was on my list. Reviews plus UK distributor for Norco got me an Optic instead.

Might be an option. We sold my partners Stumpjumper when she got pregnant but she’ll want a bike again soon.

I might push the boat out an and get something nice that we can both use. Optic looks good.

I did want a Hightower but when I was in the shop about to go for it I had a moment of clarity. It was over 7k to get half decent spec so I gave my head a shake and bought the top spec Sight for less than half the price.

chakaping
    Free Member

I have three FS bikes covering the spectrum from non-racing XC to freeride-ish.

The wheels are interchangeable, all 11sp and with the same size rotors – so I can just take whichever I fancy (or more often, whichever isn’t partially disassembled).

Used to use my long-travel trail bike (150mm/170mm) 80% of the time, but lately I’ve probably been on my 110mm/130mm short-travel trail bike more.

scotroutes

Mostly depends on what trails I’m riding, the conditions, who I am riding with and what is already dirty.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 62 total)

The topic ‘Multiple bike owners, do you…?’ is closed to new replies.