Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Multi tool with the following…
  • AlexSimon

My 12year old Hexus II finally died 🙁

Struggling to find a multi tool with the following:

T10 (this is hard part – for SRAM lever clamps)
    T25
    11sp Chain tool (assuming this is different to 10sp)
    Philips
    2, 2.5, 3, 4, 5, 6 and 8mm hex
    Spoke key

Any ideas?

honourablegeorge

Hmm… was going to suggest the Birzman 17 that I have, but I think the Torx are 15 and 25, has everything otherwise

IHN

In typical contrary STW fashion, have you considered a cheap pencil case, filled with the separate tools you want?

Gives the advantage of ‘proper’ tools, with the disadvantage of, er, there is no disadvantage.

AlexSimon

IHN – well I currently have the t10 as a separate item rubber banded to a tyre lever and patch kit. It works, but just thought it was a bit daft given how many Sram-equipped bikes there must be out there with t10 for reverb and brake mounts.

The other option, is to replace the bolts with hex, which might be sensible to be honest. Very strange choice from SRAM – I think it’s to encourage torque-wrench usage, but I wonder what percentage of users even have one in their workshop.

honourablegeorge

Are you sure it’s a T10?

My rever clamp is definitely a bit bigger than that.

Edit – yes – Reverb and Brakes are T25 for SRAM

mrhoppy

My SRAM clamps are all T25, T10 fits the bleed ports on the reverbs.

My Nexus has also died after many years, from things I’ve ever used on the trail I only really want 4, 5, 6 and 8mm Allen keys, T25, philips screwdriver and chaintool. Whilst I have other size/type bolts on the bike they tend to be things I tweak at home not trailside. But it seems like I need to get many superfluous other bits to get those all together.

jam-bo

topeak ratchet rocket and add the specific bits that you need.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Topeak rachet is great but I also like the crankbothers to with the spoke key on it (used a few times) and the chain breaker

AlexSimon

oops – so I’ve been using a separate T25 tool when I’ve got one (albeit fiddly to use) on the Hexus!

Apologies if I’ve confused anyone.

I guess that opens up the possibilities to all the Lezyne tools which look good.
    Can anyone explain why most of those come with a T30 – is it for some chainring bolts?

IHN

But it seems like I need to get many superfluous other bits to get those all together.

Not with the ‘pencil case and the bits you need’ solution.

But, of course, then you don’t have a blingy multitool to show off to your riding buddies 😉

AlexSimon

Am I right in thinking that any 10sp chain tool is good enough to split an 11sp chain (when using quick links)? I wont be inserting pins.
    Not many seem to advertise 11sp.

honourablegeorge

11sp/10sp chain no different, really. My chain tool hasn’t noticed the difference

mrhoppy

IHN – Member
    Not with the ‘pencil case and the bits you need’ solution.
    But, of course, then you don’t have a blingy multitool to show off to your riding buddies

Im not sure I’ve ever considered a multi tool worthy of showing off. It’s useful for being in one place so I’m not messing about trying to get the right thing.

The issue I have with the pencil case and bits solution is it’s not that compact, light or cheap as a package with less things. What I’d like is a multi tool package that just deals with the common fittings on the bike, although I’m probably in the minority.

Phil_H
    Nipper99
    Free Member
    z1ppy

the M 19 proved unusable with 11-speed chains and even struggled with 10-speed ones.

linky

Which is strange as my old M17 worked fine with 10 speed until the pin end started being squished.. hence my interest.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Multi tool with the following…’ is closed to new replies.