Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • multi tool v. separates
  • porter_jamie

anyone not use a multitool? i never seen to use all off the various attachments and can’t help thinking a couple of plastic levers, a small chain tool, some sawn off proper allen keys and even a small plastic handled screwdriver for the mech stops woudl be a better bet. Also my multitool doesn’t have an allen key to get avid pad pins out either.

TooTall
    Free Member

Not all multitools are equal. Buy one that fits your needs.

HTH

/thread

Northwind

Yup. A good multitool is 9/10ths as good as individual tools (sometimes better, sometimes worse) and will have exactly what you need on it.

Why mech stop screws? When do you need to adjust mech end stops on a ride?

takisawa2

Nah.
    I prefer my trusty Hummer.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Topeak Alien Tool – you’ll never want for any tool out on the trail – though the built in tyre levers aren’t all that good. I especially love the little piece of wire that holds the chain links together to make fixing a broken chain on your own super simple.

TuckerUK
    Free Member

You don’t have to have a multitool that comprises EVERY tool you need. I have a Crank Bros Multi 10, a Topeak Universal Chain Breaker Tool (better than any multitool chain tool IMO), Spokeys (ditto), and tyre levers.

andrewh
    Free Member

Got one which does most things but was stuck to find one which had 15 and 20 torx bits (thread on here about it somewhere) someone recomended a Topeak one of some sort and it’s been great, can add normal socket bits to it as required. Separate tyre levers though.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

CB Multi Tool, proper tools for the house or if it’s a shake down ride.

jsync

andrewh – Member
    Got one which does most things but was stuck to find one which had 15 and 20 torx bits (thread on here about it somewhere) someone recomended a Topeak one of some sort and it’s been great, can add normal socket bits to it as required. Separate tyre levers though.

BOOM!

andrewh
    Free Member

Yep, that’s the one. Can’t remembe who suggested it but if you read this then thanks, good call.

petrieboy

I carry a 5mm Allen key, 1 tyre lever, chain tool, SRAM link, a pump, a patch kit and a spare tube.

Edric64
    Free Member

When you break a cable

mikewsmith
    Free Member

When you break a cable
    Or something stretches, or bends or buggers up. My new SRAM mech is 3mm allen key which makes life a lot easier.

I carry a 5mm Allen key, 1 tyre lever, chain tool, SRAM link, a pump, a patch kit and a spare tube.

5mm used to be the go to size, now it’s hardly used on mine!

GHill

Another big fan of the Ratchet Rocket here. I use separate tyre levers though.

breadcrumb

When you break a cable

Once the stops are set you don’t need to touch them. Definitely not for a cable change.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Once the stops are set you don’t need to touch them

unless you bend a mech or hanger and it’s catching the spokes. Then winding it back in is really useful. Trail tools for trail maintenance.

IanW
    Free Member

I replace all the fixings with 4 or 5mm (or possibly 5 and 6) hex head bolts, then just carry two small keys.

nickjb
    Free Member

Once the stops are set you don’t need to touch them

You might if something breaks and you want to bodge a singlespeed/1×9

+1 for the Topeak Universal Chain Breaker Tool. It even has a hollow handle so can be used an extension for other tools. That and a park folding allen set makes for near workshop quality tools IMHO.

porter_jamie

if you carry a mech hanger, then you also need to carry the tools to change it and tweak it in. my missus bent a hanger in the alps, but also bent the mech a bit, so it needed adjusting. i hate using the screwdriver on the multitool.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘multi tool v. separates’ is closed to new replies.