Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Mulleting a 29er frame
  • sparkingchains
    Free Member

I’m considering putting a 27.5″ wheel in the back of my hardtail 29er frame to mullet it. Is this a good idea or is the 29 front / 27.5 back idea best done on 27.5″ frames by adding a 29er fork?

stevemuzzy
    Free Member

It will give you a slightly slacker head angle, raise the bb and slightly move the seat post angle backwards. Not sure it would be a massive difference and an easy thing to try if you can borrow a rear wheel, much easier than changing forks.

mashr

stevemuzzy

It will give you a slightly slacker head angle, raise the bb

You mean lower the BB on this occasion as he’s starting with big wheels

Got a mate with a 650b wheel? Borrow it and see what happens

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    hols2
    Free Member

It will give you a slightly slacker head angle, raise lower the bb and slightly move the seat post angle backwards.

whatyadoinsucka
    Free Member

my chameleon mk7 is brilliant mulletted feels like a new bike in the mud and slop.
    less effort on the climbs , grips massively improved.
    2.4 29er wild enduro michelin and a 2.8 michelin all mountain on the rear

sanername

I’ve done it both ways. (fnaaar) Had a Stanton Sherpa that I put a 27.5 rear wheel and a 2.8″ tyre on and have a BFe that I run with a Jones fork and a big 3″ tyre.

Never really got on with the Sherpa and the fat tyre didn’t save it. I’ve always loved the BFe and the mullet makes it even better.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

It will lower the BB, but you’ll be talking a few mm’s. Try it, who knows.

munrobiker
    Free Member

I’ve been running my Stache as mullet bike when Innerleithen is really sloppy but instead of it being 29″ front and 650b rear it’s 29+ front and 29″ rear – if you need to buy a new wheel for the project anyway I would heartily recommend it. A big front rim with a 3″ Minion on it is bloody amazing in gnarlier stuff but it’s not got the fun but vague feel of a plus rear tyre.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Mulleting a 29er frame’ is closed to new replies.