Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)
  • Mullet bikes – the future?
  • chainbreaker
    Free Member

These days, it seems nearly every bike release is a mullet setup, which I find really surprising as although there are advantages of mullets (manouverability, weight, more space over the rear on steep descents) there are also advantages to a full 29er setup (speed, more grip, increased stability, rear suspension doesn’t get hung up on obstacles as much) and I know there are racers out there that still prefer them purely for speed.

I suppose my question is are mullets the new optimum wheel size going forwards or is it just the latest fad that the industry have decided to embrace and then will drop again (like plus tires a few years)?

chiefgrooveguru

I think that’s just a case of observer bias. Just looking through Feb’s bike reviews etc on pinkbike there’s a few dedicated mullet bikes, there’s a load of 29ers many of which can also be run mullet (with a different link or something) and there’s one 27.5 bike.

alexpalacefan

I’ve been running a mullet for years.
    Mk 1 Scandal w/27.5 front and 26 rear.
    Does that count?
    APF 😉

bruceonabike
    Free Member

Inbred 29 front 26 rear, rigid and singlespeed is my go to. 😀

zerocool

I think they’re here to stay, but as an option, the same as I think 27.5 will be around for a long time as not everyone likes 29ers (I like my 29 hardtail, but wouldn’t rule out a 27.5 or mullet in the future.

dyna-ti

Give it a couple of years and we’ll be having 27.5 front, 29″ rear and a 250mm fork as the plugged super latest new set up.

shermer75
    Free Member

Only if people agree to pronounce it ‘muh-laay’

pembo6
    Free Member

Personally I think they are here to stay. Most of the ‘testing’ shows full 29er are faster. But I’ve only got short legs and am so sick of butt buzzing most rides!! Never buzz on my other bike that’s setup ‘muh-laay’ and I have way more confidence going off steep rolls or drops. I think anyone around 5’9″ or less could benefit from a mullet.

Or…. I could just learn how to ride properly and stay off the back wheel……

weeksy

I don’t think we’ll know for several years.

29er was almost a fad.. it came in 2011-12 in a big way, then by 16-17 had almost faded away for many… but then suddenly the 29er war came back and 27.5 is dead again.. How exactly, i don’t really know. But now there’s way more 29ers than 27.5s on the market, which 3,4,5 years ago you’d never had seen coming.

So think the mullet will take a while to either find it’s feet or fade away.

aphex_2k
    Free Member

It’s as much of the future as 650b + sized wheels are….

joebristol

I think it’s a good / nice to have option and was looking at one before just opting full 29er.

I’m 5’9 and other than maybe about 3 or 4 buzzes of the back wheel since I got the bike in late December I’ve found it much the same to ride as my 27.5” bike – just faster pretty much everywhere. Those buzzes were mostly the first few rides on steep stuff and I adjusted pretty quickly. I’m already riding steeper and more tech stuff on my 29er more comfortably so it’s here to stay for me.

It was interesting the review back to back I saw in enduro mag where they reviewed the spectral 27.5 vs spectral mullet vs spectral 29. Whilst it’s only 1 bike companies take on all 3 they concluded the 27.5 was easy to ride and nimble but slower than the other 2 bikes when it got rough. The mullet had completely different handling to the other 2 that needed a skilled rider to get the best from it. The 29er was their choice out of the 3.

Edit – completely anecdotal but I’ve been riding a 29er Sentinel with a 2.3” DHR2 on it since Late December. I rode my 27.5” hardtail a couple of days ago for the first time in ages – that’s got 2.6” plus ish tyres on it. I’d never noticed before but I found the rear tyre very squirmy in comparison to the 2.3 dhr2. Similar pressures and the 2.6” tyre has a Rimpact in it. Slightly narrower internal rim width though. Once I got used to it, it was fine – just an observation really. Both are exo casing tyres – the 2.6” one is a Forekaster so maybe a bit flimsier than the dhr2.

honourablegeorge

No surpise a 2.6 is a bit squirmy if the rim is narrower than the 2.3

joebristol

The 2.3” tyre is on a 30mm internal rim – the 2.6” is on a 25mm internal rim. Ideally I’d have built the wheel for the 2.6” tyre on a 30mm internal but putting plus tyres on the bike were a last min decision to give the hardtail a bit more cushioning as I get lower back pain from time to time. I do have a spare 30mm internal rim that I may build onto a Hope / Bitex / DT 350 rear hub at some point to swap in instead.

honourablegeorge

Yeah, 30mm will make a big difference there, I think.

jameso

are mullets the new optimum wheel size going forwards

I think they may be the optimum for steep corners but not for going forwards.

: ) sorry.. Depends what you’re optimising for including ease of ownership and longer-term running, simple things like swapping tyres front to rear – my tyres aren’t even front-rear optimised never mind my wheel size.

As bikes get bigger (that’s slowing/settling) and e-bikes more the standard format for FS enduro style bikes I can see the more MX approach to wheel spec being more popular. One thing we can be sure of is that riding is about feel as well as speed and there won’t be much agreement on a stock format. Few of us buy a bike purely due to proven speed under a top racer. Too many variables in rider, terrain and preference/priority for the market to settle on one format. Plus, tbh it’s a fashion sport, trends come and go.

Onzadog
    Free Member

A cynical person could think that there are warehouses full of 650b rims and tyres from when it looked like 29er wasn’t going to stick.

Muh-lay is just a way to clear out those remaining parts once 29er took the lead. 😉

singlespeedstu

I think it’ll settle into more of a pattern of 29 for more XC stuff and either mixed or 29 for more gravity stuff via adjustable geo.
    For your average guy it really doesn’t make a huge difference if you’re running a 27.5 or 29 rear wheel.
    They both have advantages and disadvantages that will equal each other out.

I have two bikes with the same suspension system and shock, almost identical geo but the mixed size bike has more travel than the full 29.
    My observations are that the smaller rear wheel does turn in on tight steep corners a bit faster but also gets hung up more on square edged bumps and large roots.
    Despite the mixed bike having 175 of travel and the 29 having only 130 this is still noticeable.

I think the only prediction that would have any credibility is that 27.5 front ends will become increasingly rarer.

Its not a new concept I tried this in 06 just to see if I could feel the difference in wheel sizes.😆
    [url=https://www.flickr.com/gp/stu-b/3ap3Rr]2006_110169er0011[/url] by multispeedstu, on Flickr

chakaping
    Free Member

are mullets the new optimum wheel size going forwards or is it just the latest fad that the industry have decided to embrace and then will drop again

No and no.

The two options going forward will be mullet or full 29. Or ideally bikes that can switch between the two. Full 650b will become more niche (already withering on the vine).

I think they may be the optimum for steep corners but not for going forwards.

Very good.

A cynical person could think that there are warehouses full of 650b rims and tyres from when it looked like 29er wasn’t going to stick.

Mullets are one of the more rider-led trends of recent years. Race teams have been bodging them in 29er frames, and I was mucking about with one (with impressive results) back in about 2017.

jameso

My observations are that the smaller rear wheel does turn in on tight steep corners a bit faster but also gets hung up more on square edged bumps and large roots.
    Despite the mixed bike having 175 of travel and the 29 having only 130 this is still noticeable.

That’s interesting, at first I’m suprised that amount of suspension increase doesn’t mask the square-edge impact differences more. But 45mm of travel difference, on average you’re using 50-60% of the stroke as you ride perhaps, so about 25mm of movement in suspension difference over a larger root vs the effect of a larger wheel radius. Less suprised.

mrmoofo

This year’s fashion, next year will be reverse mullet. Then it will be Fat mullet – fat bike front 27.5 rear, the year after that, then it will be reverse fat bike mullet – but with the fatty on the back and a really thin 29 tyre and wheel on the front to cut through mud.

I am also looking froward to mullet specific shoes and brakes being launched soon …

singlespeedstu

That’s interesting, at first I’m suprised that amount of suspension increase doesn’t mask the square-edge impact differences more. But 45mm of travel difference, on average you’re using 50-60% of the stroke as you ride perhaps, so about 25mm of movement in suspension difference over a larger root vs the effect of a larger wheel radius. Less suprised.

Just to add to what I said a little more.
    The square edge thing seems to be more noticeable at slower speeds.
    So that ties in with your thinking as it’d be using a small amount of the available travel.
    On a side note my eeb has 27.5 both ends and the “hanging up feeling” is much less.
    Maybe thats because both wheels react the same or maybe its the extra weight hat makes it feel that way.

kimbers

Definitely rider led

It took quite a few years for designers to start making 29ers with geometry that gets the best of them.

Maybe we’ll see the same with mullets, r rather than just swappable dropouts

Anyway miranda Miller was a bit dissapointed with her test

https://www.pinkbike.com/news/video-miranda-miller-tests-mullet-vs-29er-against-the-clock.html

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

I think it depends on the layout of the suspension too. I have really only ridden mullets in the form of ebikes, all of my other bikes have been full 29 for probably the last 5/6 years now. The first one I rode (Decoy) was actually really, really good. I think the travel masked it’s ability to hang up on things, yet the Gen3 Levo which slightly less travel, felt noticeably ‘worse’.

I’m basically 6’2″ so tyre buzz is a non issue really, and only noticed the supposed benefits in a very small window of trails, mostly where there was a quick succession of corners where you could actively lean the bike over & have something to push into. It felt like you could get out of one corner & into the other quicker. Otherwise I personally find the 29″ option better, everywhere else.

No issue with it staying though – I think for shorter people it definitely has merit 🙂

jameso

On a side note my eeb has 27.5 both ends and the “hanging up feeling” is much less.
    Maybe thats because both wheels react the same or maybe its the extra weight hat makes it feel that way.

Weight aiding momentum and unsuspended:suspended weight ratio making a difference to how readily the wheels move and what you feel through bars and pedals, would be my guess. But it’s only an interested guess as I don’t ride that kind of bike.

Does make me wonder if the potential rear wheel clearance gain of a mullet bike might be equalled by a full 29″ with mismatched travel, say 125R / 160F. Bigger wheel that moves less, both bikes need a bit of adjustment to ride well. Not sure if it’s a similar end result ride. Would just come down to how the bike feels, subjective stuff. Edit to add, it’s still all about where the smaller wheel has the advantage – tighter corner type moves. Can’t match that aspect with a bigger wheel and less travel.

chakaping
    Free Member

Regarding bum buzz, my experience as a stumpy-legged 29er fan is that longer chainstays are a huge benefit to avoiding it. Not needing to stick my bum so far back on steep bits basically.

BUT I also have 20mm less travel on the rear than the front of each of my three MTBs at the mo. I wonder if I’ve just blundered into a set-up that suits me, reading some of the above comments.

SirHC

With a few spacers, I can swap my G1 between full 29 and 650b. Last winter I spent on 650b, this winter 29, I swap between the two depending on what I’m riding. Kenevo SL is 29/29, so have kept the g1 full 29 and have gotten used to the 29 way.

650b
    +a bit better in the twisty and tight turns
    +more forgiving under braking and turning in, bike doesn’t stand up as much as it does with full 29 (bb drop is less on 650b, so you are closer to the axles)
    +easier to turn in, bike tends to flop into turns
    -I don’t think it carries speed as well on the faster/flowier stuff
    -Doesn’t climb as well, 29 feels like it rolls over stuff better

See above but round the other way.

IMO, there isn’t a lot in it at all. If your shorter of the leg, than the bit of extra clearance a 650b rear wheel affords is great, especially on a dh bike.

Quite a few frames its a bodge to make it work, there are very few where the’ve done their homework.

dc1988

I think there is an element of it being the latest trend but I think the option of mixing wheel sizes is likely to stay. I’m tall so have never buzzed the back wheel but shorter riders may want the benefits of 29 without the drawbacks so a mullet will be their best option. It feels like fashion comes first and after a few years practicality takes over.

cookeaa

Then it will be Fat mullet

“Fa-Muh-lay” surely?

The question really for mullet bikes is who does it benefit?

TBH For most people, they’re just going to want to stick a pair of wheels on and ride, experimentation with a slightly smaller rear wheel is mostly academic, Enduro and DH racers Might see a benefit depending on the course perhaps? And even then it’s going to be an option, turn up with a 29er, decide there’s more tech and tight turns where a tweener at the back might help and swap.

I don’t think we’ll see many more specifically mullet bikes/frames for sale. The bike industry probably had their best opportunity to try and push front and rear specific diameters as a “standard” a few years ago, instead they tried to flog us “27plus”. I think standards fatigue will stop wider adoption of mullet bikes…

benp1

I put a 29+ wheel and tyre on my rigid Mk1 Solaris a couple of weeks ago, does that count as a mullet? Maybe I’ve just become a victim of bike fashion. The mudguard and weird bars would say otherwise though

b33k34

Enduro Mag review

Which wheel size is best? – 27.5″ vs mullet vs 29″

The spectral does seem to offer a real world comparison as the the geometry is supposed to be the same across the variants. there was a video review that did just that I watched a few months back where all the riders (beginner/experienced rider/sometime racer) all preferred the Mullet. The racer’s view was that while the 29er was faster he felt the mullet gave him some ‘get out of jail free cards’ which might still be more valuable in a race. I can’t seem to find it now.

sirromj

Mullets mean people like me can’t use worn winter front tyres as semi-slick summer rear tyres.

TheBrick
    Free Member

Most of the ‘testing’ shows full 29er are faster

Depends if that’s your aim of success for your riding. Obviously for racing it and for some people it is but for others it other aspects of riding. So 29er are faster is not relevant for all (what % I don’t know). I don’t like not being able to migrate tyres so I’m out

big_n_daft
    Free Member

Does it mean my old Carver 96er is now on trend?

Blackflag
    Free Member

Mullets mean people like me can’t use worn winter front tyres as semi-slick summer rear tyres.

This. I often take a worn front and stick it on the back

doug_basqueMTB.com

I think they will stick around. It offers another way to fine tune sizing and also ride feel. 29 seems to be faster but I think you have to be properly shifting to feel a huge difference in the rough stuff, especially on longer travel. BUT even at normal people speeds you notice the bum clearance, corner setup and ease of pumping you get with the mullet. The suspension feel, you need to be careful because depending how a bike lets you swap, you are changing something else… maybe geometry or potentially the suspension curve.

For me it’s definitely mullet FTW. The lack of tyre, spoke and tube interchangeability is the downside for me. I think that the success will depend on the bike industries ability to communicate the differences, offer choices and also steer riders towards the best setup for them, rather than how good mullet actually is.

Radioman

Lots of fashion is at work in the world of MTBs. It has to be in order to convince riders they need a new bike that costs now it seems up to around 8k every few years! It does seem rather wasteful in many ways.

I wonder if any of the carbon frames actually get recycled? Would imagine the resin and fibres would not easily break down naturally.

joebristol

I’d still like a go on a mullet bike just to see what they’re like. I think like anything you adjust to what you ride regularly – not many cheaper end frames for mullet though when I looked. Saracen arial 30 looked ok – but then I realised it’s also (stupid) super boost and then they were out of stock of my size.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Muh-lay is just a way to clear out those remaining parts once 29er took the lead. 😉

There’s definitely a whiff of the “26 ain’t dead” and adjustable travel/geometry about them.

I wonder if any of the carbon frames actually get recycled? Would imagine the resin and fibres would not easily break down naturally.

This crops up a lot as a question, but really you’re thinking of ~1kg of inert plastic with a carbon footprint less than a single road trip to Scotland.

Throw it in an incinerator with the rest of the rubbish and be done with it.

Alternatively, there are markets for recovered carbon fibre, but they’re smaller, thing reinforcement for injection moulded parts. E.g. Magura brake levers or most of the hardware on sailing boats is made from small bits of fibre mixed in with the injection moulding plastic.

argee

There is a new wave of cfrtp, so using thermoplastic rather than a polymer to make recycling easier, but that’ll be long term and expensive to change machinery and processes at the plants

As for mullet, it’s another option for me, but I’m not a fan of the Swiss army wheeled bikes, so I struggle to see the benefit of flipping something on the bike to change 29 to 27.5, as I’d think you’d not gain much in terms of chainstay length, position and so on, just a smaller wheel. Think mullet is more of a fun thing, or ebike thing where motor size can benefit from a smaller rear wheel allowing more modern and standard geometry across the sizes

squirrelking
    Free Member

Just leaving this here.

It's back!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)

The topic ‘Mullet bikes – the future?’ is closed to new replies.