Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Mull – Which Bike?
  • bumpy
    Free Member

I’m heading to Mull in a few weeks time, going to be staying around the Tobermory area.

What’s the best bike to take?
    Road bike?
    MTB?
    Gravel bike?

Any suggestions for decent routes?

Squirrel

Just got back from Mull. Not riding unfortunately. Didn’t see much evidence of rideable trails, but others may know better. The roads were fairly quiet, “singletrack” with passing places in some parts. Some stiff little climbs, so I’d want some low gears (or an ebike). Not much open in the way of cafes. I’d defs recommend going to Calgary beach (where there’s a tea hut). You’re supposed to do 2 Covid tests before you visit any of the islands.

Marin
    Free Member

Gravel bike for me last time I went. Rode mainly road but good to have option to zip off interesting trail if you see one.

geomickb
    Free Member

We go to Mull annually. I would take gravel.

Some lovely forest tracks (which we have done on an ebike towing a trailer).

Get the Forestry Commission leaflet (https://forestryandland.gov.scot/images/pdf/rec_pdfs/Isle-of-Mull-Map-and-Trail-Guide.pdf) and go and get lost.

Some spectacular roads, I think you would regret not having something that goes OK on the road.

Look round Loch Baa, Loch Frisa, Glen Forsa. Those trails up to the transmitters from Duart have always looked like they are worth exploring.

Where are you staying?

kelvin

I took an mtb with semi-slicks for exploring. You’ll be taking in the scenery more than hunting out challenging trails.

dovebiker

I’m moving to Tobermory shortly and based on previous trips, I’d go gravel – forest tracks around Ardmore Point, Glengorm and around to Dervaig. The road on the west side is pretty spectacular with some short, steep pitches. You could also nip over to Morvern and Ardnamurchan where there’s some good riding or even do a loop Tobermory – Kilchoan – Lochaline – Fishnish – Tobermory. There’s also a passenger ferry from Tobermory to Drimmin and plenty to explore there.

tjagain

I think there is a mountainbike group on Mull? Gravel bike might be best. I love the road ride on the B8035. when riding along the coast ( and the above road is a good bet) look out for otters. Weed covered rocks on the rising tide

bumpy
    Free Member

Thanks for the suggestions all. I’ll take the gravel bike, it covers most bases.

You’re supposed to do 2 Covid tests before you visit any of the islands

Thanks for pointing that out, we weren’t aware of that!

dovebiker

I was on the island last week, did the 2 tests etc. No one asked.

tuboflard

Think the tests are advisory not compulsory. I’ll still be doing mine before heading to Tiree next month though. For the smaller isles with little in the way of healthcare I kind of understand why they’re being so precautious.

Anyway, enjoy Mull OP, never been but always enjoyed watching it go past from the ferry. Ardnamurchan also looks fabulous, need to put there on the list to visit.

Marin
    Free Member

Ardnamurchan is great the ride using the ferries is very nice indeed. The White House Restaurant in Loch Aline is superb for a meal. I used to live a two minute walk from it and would pop round to get a take out pudding from them in the evenings. I miss living up there felt a bit like being in the very Wild West unless I’d been working out at St Kilda for a few weeks then it felt like a metropolis!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Mull – Which Bike?’ is closed to new replies.