Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Mulching mowers, any good?
  • womble72
    Free Member

The local council has changed its garden waste collection to every three weeks and I’ve two reasonable sized lawns that totally fill the bin after one cut plus extra goes into my composter, so I was considering getting a cheap/2nd hand mulching mower for the slower growing season and keeping my Honda for first few cuts of the year and the odd wet spell/return from holiday to a jungle cuts. Are mulching mowers any good for bag less mowing or are they a pita?

sharkbait
    Free Member

For your proposed usage (using the mulching mower only when the grass is growing slowly and it is been properly dry) then yes they work well.

I don’t think they’re so good as a single mower option because of wetter/longer grass.

Rockhopper
    Free Member

For what its worth the mulching adapter works very well on my little mountfield battery mower. No obvious signs of stuff being dropped on the lawn.

matt_outandabout

I have found that a move from mulcher back to collecting has led to less weeds in my lawn*.

*I say lawn, I mean barely tamed, lumpy patch of green plants loosely collated and trimmed ad-hoc with a rusty blade on a shady, north facing bog.

biglee1

Love my mulching mower, 450 sq m and no time wasting emptying grass collectors and a mountain of clippings in the corner.

jimmy

I got a mulcher mower because I thought it would do wonders for my lawn . It didn’t. It clogged up with all the cuttings and  maybe spread clover growth. I sold it and bought a Mountfield electric number with a mulching attachment so for the occasional short, dry cut I use it. Otherwise collected for the brown bin.

slackalice
    Free Member

Due to the time of year, there have been a few lawnmower threads, I even started one myself, where the pro’s and con’s of mulching vs collecting have been discussed.

I was looking for a new mower and originally thought I wanted a roller with collector, until someone suggested mulching. So, I did a bit of research and came to the conclusion that for my grassy area ( “lawn” maybe optimistic ), I would be better off doing what @jimmy suggests ^.

So I use the collector and occasionally a couple of days later, cut at the same height again without the collector on. Seems to be working so far 😃

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Mulching mowers, any good?’ is closed to new replies.