Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 88 total)
  • Muhammad Ali
  • mrsfry
    Free Member

He’s in hospital on life support according to the media reports.
    I’d rather he passed away in his sleep pain free, than to suffer on machines. I really do like this guy, grew up hearing about him.
    Big hugs Ali

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Absolutely agree. I recently listened to.mcilvanney on Ali, and even as a boxing aficionado, he couldn’t help but talk of the big guys illness and how it was just accepted as the illness, when in reality it was caused by repeated blows to the head.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Was on bbcradio Scotland, well worth a listen.

DezB
    Free Member

Yeah, last heard his condition was “fair” which doesn’t sound great.
    Will be a very sad day when The Greatest goes.

hora
    Free Member

A deeply deeply flawed bloke in his time. I still have a framed pic of him on my wall at home. He helped the equality movement for racial equality in a powerful way. I was thinking about him just today (I rewtched When we were Kings last week). Well made, beautiful songs.

**** pull through. Fight. Fight. **** FIGHT.

Nipper99
    Free Member

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gze9gFWrf8U[/video]

jambalaya
    Free Member

I hope he pulls through but thats for me, for him whatever is best. Maybe its time. My thoughts and prayers.

pondo

A deeply deeply flawed bloke in his time.

Did you mean to say he had integrity?

wrecker
    Free Member

If it’s his time, then it’s his time.
    His place in history is assured and as far as I am concerned, he was a major force for good.
    Go well mohammed/cassius.

bongohoohaa
    Free Member

A deeply deeply flawed bloke in his time.

??

Frankenstein
    Free Member

He could give a hell of an interview.

The Greatest.

:*(

bikebouy
    Free Member

I think you’ll find he’s just passed away.

A Legend.

cheekyget
    Free Member

RIP 😥

mrsfry
    Free Member

Such a sweet man. Enjoy your next life Ali

theotherjonv

People will always argue about who the greatest really was, but they’re wasting their time. It was Ali, because he told us it was and he seemed to know what he was talking about.

mrsfry
    Free Member

^^
    I agree with every word you said.

scotroutes

Don’t forget how pretty he was.

theotherjonv

^^ I was just reading the BBC piece on him and found another quote

Asked how he would like to be remembered, he once said: “As a man who never sold out his people. But if that’s too much, then just a good boxer. I won’t even mind if you don’t mention how pretty I was.”

nickc

RIP.

A man who stuck to his principles regardless of how tough it got.

cheekyget
    Free Member

mrsfry
    Free Member
    MrWoppit
    Free Member

“I never met any Vietnamese ever called me a ****”.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Drac

Inspirational human being. We need more like him.

RIP

bedmaker

Amazing man – yes.
    Flawed – yes.

Comes across deeply unpleasant in this vid.

Muslims are more civilised than African savages 😐 Erm…nope.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wpan4-P8ak0[/video]

mooman
    Free Member

Superb boxer, and a real sporting superstar.
    In his early days, and particularly his glory days … he was a seriously flawed person. Deeply rascist and sexist, and lots around him at that time could never forgive him for the hurt he inflicted on them and their family.
    But as Ali wrote in one of his money books: “a man who thinks the same at 40, as he did at 20, has wasted the last 20 years of his life”.

RIP Ali

wilburt
    Free Member

Good boxer to watch and a bit of a hero as a child but as grew more aware if his political views I liked him less. The shame is he’ll be remembered as a sporting icon when that sport cost him the last 30 years of his life.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Question: How many boxers did it take to switch a light on? Answer: Muhammad Ali.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

RIP

His fights (and interviews with Parkinson) were part of my childhood. Magical.

Was lucky enough to shake his hand at a book signing in the early 90s and it was so sad to see him them.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

“Why should they ask me to put on a uniform and go 10,000 miles from home and drop bombs and bullets on brown people in Vietnam while so-called Negro people in Louisville are treated like dogs and denied simple human rights?”

Nipper99
    Free Member

RIP 🙁

fattyre500
    Free Member

When Ali was 12 yrs old his bike was stolen.Someone directed the young Ali to the local policeman who at the time was in the local boxing club…..

jambalaya
    Free Member

Trying to judge the behaviour of a young brash black man who had grown up in deep South of the US in the 40’s and 50’s by today’s standards is purile. It was a different time then and he was a product of that era.

A wonderful man and a true superstar. RIP.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

I’m not a boxing fan.
    I am however a massive Ali fan.
    He used to come to Abingdon where the manager of his fanclub lived. He got the job by simply getting in touch with Ali early on in his career and asking if he could start a fan club.
    I have a photo somewhere of Ali in Abingdon with Mr T as his driver.

Top bloke according to everyone I know who met him.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Trying to judge the behaviour of a young brash black man who had grown up in deep South of the US in the 40’s and 50’s by today’s standards is purile.

Actually it isn’t imo, he was right to stand up to the white man. This was the white man who forced black women to give up their bus seats to them, this was the white man who banned black children from their schools, this was the white who lynched and left the bodies of innocent black men hanging from trees.

When Ali first became champ enforced racial segregation was still perfectly legal in the United States.

DrJ

Drac

Nice edit DrJ. 😉

headfirst
    Free Member

The New York Times website is worth a visit today, watch ‘what’s my name’ for starters.

RIP The Greatest

DezB
    Free Member

Strange, but over last week, I was watching the Sly Stone v Ali interviews on youtube and crying with laughter as Ali got frustrated and angry with a drugged up Stone who kept interrupting him.
    Now I’ll watch my old boxing tapes.
    So many great memories throughout my life of this fantastic athlete and great man.
    True hero.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 88 total)

The topic ‘Muhammad Ali’ is closed to new replies.