Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)
  • Mudguards – Whats everyone using now?
  • organic355
    Free Member

Are crudcatchers still the guard of choice for front and rear?

What else is there?

I am sure there were a few posts on here syaing the cruds werent any good, but maybe just the rear?

So whats good for MTB use? and somehting thats fairly easy to take off in the spring? Dont mind leaving the front one one.

votchy
    Free Member

Fender bender to prevent cack in the eyes and waterproof shorts for everything else, mudgaurds of any description are a waste of time in proper mucky weather, I don’t use any and am no muckier than the guys I ride with that do after 3hrs of mudplugging

thepodge
    Free Member

I use a modified decathlon one on the rear. keeps the bike cleaner and stops me getting wet.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Decathlon on th read. home meade crudcather on the down tube, innertube mudguard on the forks. small homemade mudprotecter for the front mech

really works and contray to votchy makes a huge difference compared to people without mudguards. No wet / muddy strip up the back, no mud in the face, remain much cleaner and drier

mojo5pro
    Free Member

Just ordered a mucky nutz bender fender to replace a neoguard. Should reduce the gunge collecting on the stanchions.

rOcKeTdOg

those bits of neoprene wrapped around the fork crown seem popular, look gopping but lots of people have bitten it seems

neninja
    Free Member

Switched back to a Fender Bender on the front.

Hate the aesthetics of rear mudguards but have given up and fitted one to keep the mud off my bum (just for Winter). Went for a Zefal No Mud rear mudguard which mounts directly on to the seat stays so stays closer to the wheel.

Wozza
    Free Member

I tried the Mucky Nutz and the Neoguard… I’m back on a downtube Crudcatcher and probably some glasses from santa.

I hated the look of the mucky nutz and I didn’t think it was doing a lot so I gave it away, the neoguard rubbed on the tyre under maximum compression which was a horrible noise and made me think I was going to land on my face anytime soon. I think that was down to buying the wrong size.

Drillski
    Free Member

plus one for the fender benders.

mate recently added a small piece of inner tube in a neogard type of stylee between teh front end of his crudcathcer and the seatpost tube, just below the seatpost clamp. Genius as it stopped alot of crap building up around the clamp/ i’d imagine that it would eb even more useful if you were thinking about teh seals on an uppy-downy seatpost too.

as we ride msotly cannock chase where there is very little in the way of claggy clingy mud, wheel pickup and clearance aren’t much of an issue here, so in the back of my mind i have several designs for a crudcatcher “hugger” style rear mudguard. Anyone tried making one of these?

shortcut

Waterproof shorts or vintage cruds front and rear with a special 29er extension!

iDave
    Free Member

Aldi front and rear*

*My local forest is a swamp in winter.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Huge THE fender on the front of both the mtbs.
    old-skool Crud-Guard (with stays) on the back of the hardtail, Decathlon brake-mount’d jobby on the full-sus.
    Crud Road-Racers on the roadbike.

RustyMac

I Just get muddy now, i tried a homemede version of the neoprene gards (the ones that go between the fork crown and the fork brace) made from an old inner tube with a crud catcher which did help stop mud flying up into my face but i found loads more mud and crap built up round the seals of my foks which worried me so i removed it.

I immagine this would happen with the genuine one too but would love to be proved wrong.

thepurist

I fitted Fender Benders this year & they’re way better than the stretched innertube bodge I used before (shock horror, properly designed product is better than garage fettled version). I’ve also noticed the fork seals stay much cleaner as does the bottom part of the headset.

Waterproof shorts or MT500s at the rear when its proper wet on the ground.

BoardinBob

Bender Fender Mucky Nutz on the front. Absolutely amazing. Far better than the neoprene one I was using.

http://muckynutz.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=76

Topeak Defender M2 on the rear. It’s got a quick release, it’s low profile and most importantly I can attach it to the very top of the seat tube so I can still use my dropper post.

http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Topeak-Defender-M2-Rear-Mudguard_8887.htm

ask1974
    Free Member

Dirt in eyes is very bad = mucky nuts fender bender
    Dirt on bike is unavoidable
    Dirt on me is fine

colournoise

Had a Bender Fender and it was great at stopping the face gloop (and protected the forks a bit too), but irritating tyre clearance issues have seen me switch back to a Crudcatcher.

Nothing on the back end as they all look awful and a damp lumbar region don’t worry me too much.

slainte 😀 rob

nuke

Neoguard was doing well but because its proper mud on the trails and not just a-bit-wet I ordered a Bender Fender from Charlie on Sunday so I’m hoping that will delivered this week. If that’s no good, I’ll be putting on the SKS Shockboard…works very well, looks pants.

Crud rear guard for the back…hate having a wet backside

RustyMac

Will look into the bender fende later on tonight, can’t view the website at work as it is classed as ADULT and access is denied.

woody2000

Crud front and back, and a neoguard up front too. And waterproof shorts. And boots.

Works for me.

😀

woody2000

Try here Rusty – http://www.charliethebikemonger.com/bender-fender-426-p.asp

I had a version 1 bender fender, but it broke very easily so I got the neoguard instead. I believe the more recent ones are stronger

RustyMac

Cheers Woody, looks like it should stop the buildup round the seals that i was getting with the innertube bodge.
    Will look into getting one after Christmas.

vancoughcough
    Free Member

I have two sets of cycraguard, seperated by about 2 years. In those two years all stayed essentially the same, apart from the clamp for the rear. From the sublime to the ridiculous it went from a heavy and admittedly over-engineered quick release monstrosity to a flimsy clamp that I found needed some inner tube padding to firm it up. To be fair though, it has stayed put, and the slither of inner tube does stop it moving. I kook forward to the third clamp, the one where they get it right.

Interestingly, the guard also went from being American made to UK made. Which if true is nice. Made in UK is exactly what the UK needs.

HermanShake
    Free Member

Bender fender (reversed to hide the logo) in the arch, no guard on the rear. It’s annoying that it reduces clearance, but after my bike is caked my stanchions are quite clean.

I’m thinking about a bit of inner tube to shield the shock. The seat tube seems to provide a fair bit of coverage but less mud on the stanchion is better.

Anyone using a bender and a neo? On faster descents the bender lets some mud escape upward 😐

sam_underhill

Fender Bender and crud catcher at the font. This stops the mud flying up in front of you (and getting up into the headset and fork seals) and the crud catcher stops lots of the remaining big blobs of crap flinging straight into your face.

Crud catcher on the rear to stop me being coated in mud.

This combo sees me come home relatively mud free. Well, clean enough that I don’t need hosing down before entering the house!

sambob
    Free Member

RRP Neoguard on the fork, cba with anything else, I’d only break it or lose it anyway.

Ambrose

Cut up milk bottle as a Fender Bender. Crud catcher at rear.

clubby

Anyone fitted anything useful to a lefty? Trying out one of those crud Steve Peat things at the moment, but not sure if it will stop rearward spray.

organic355
    Free Member

can anyone post up pics of their various mudguard combos?

particularly the fender bender and crud guards, but any will do.

Am going to order a fender bender, but not sure why some of you still run a front crud catcher with it, isnt that overkill?

Anyway pics would be good if you would be so kind?

many thanks.

lostboysaint
    Free Member

Crudcatcher on the downtube and Neoguard on the fork for both bikes. Brilliant products.

Inbred has a crud rear, again excellent but hated for the look!

Bandit doesn’t ‘cos of all the pipework from the Reverb post.

pixelmix
    Free Member

Just waterproof shorts (well splashproof really) and now Shimano winter boots for me.

I do plan on putting my vintage rear crud guard on the commuter bike once I can shim it to fit my 27.2mm seatpost (I’m thinking an old inner tube would shim it nicely, but I don’t tend to have many old tubes now that the bikes are mostly tubeless :roll:)

Might stick a downtube cruad guard on the commuter too, but I don’t bother with guards for the rest of the bikes – recreational riding normally involves a shower or at least a change of clothes at the end.

vorlich
    Free Member

I’ve found Cycra to be good on the rear.

+1 FenderBender

hilldodger
    Free Member

Fender bender on front (as much for the fork seals as for me) nothing on the back but have tried a Crudcatcher, didn’t work that well – waterproof shorts far better, it’s only mud after all 🙂

Taff
    Free Member

Got a race guard for the back but keep forgettign to put it on. Neoguard on the front.

Saw somewhere the other day people were cutting up milk cartons to make a front fender

organic355
    Free Member

shame mucky nutz cant come up with something better for the rear?

joolsburger
    Free Member

I use a bender fender and it’s perfect no crap in face looks like it won’t work but does had it on for two winters. Seems to me that for a really effective rear mudguard you’d have to have something full length otherwise you’re still going to get a backstripe so I wear waterproofs or get muddy.

Lakes_Puma

Hardtail, which I’m using as winter bike at the moment has crud catcher on down tube and on rear and steve peat fast fender up front.

Bike looks hideous but kept me almost spotless last winter

thepodge
    Free Member

I’m just about to head out but if I remember I’ll do a pic when I get back.

I’ve got a bender fender for the face, a crud catcher for the legs and a modified decathlon one for the rear.

DT78
    Free Member

Use crud catcher front and crud race rear. Also RRP neoguard. I stay surprisingly mud free despite the flithy conditions.

Will have a look at the other suggestions – very occassionally get mud in the eye

bigjim

crud race guard on the back is good but is made of cheese, though better than the previous version. might have to try one of these here fender benders with my 90’s clear crud catcher!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)

The topic ‘Mudguards – Whats everyone using now?’ is closed to new replies.