Viewing 18 posts - 41 through 58 (of 58 total)
  • MUGDOCK tree felling
  • J0N
    Free Member

surely now is the time to get in there and start re-forming trails

I was just thinking of this. However I think they leave it to mulch a little before replanting, hence more diggers/vehicles.
    I have been thinking that the area further along the road to the north where the trees are already planted and about 5 ft tall would be good to get into, however the ground is poor and very rough so would be a lot of work. Will be a good bit of forest in 5 years or so.

pistola
    Free Member

A few of us have been talking about getting up to the trails to the west of Craigallion Loch which was forested at the start of the year. A little bit of work removing branches/scrub from the trail and perhaps putting logs into vehicle ruts and we could have the trail back. I don’t think it would take a huge amount of work, ‘specially if we get a few bodies up for a couple of hours over 2 or 3 weekends….

allyharp

The bit I had in mind sounds like what lovewookie is describing.

I’m not sure I know of this Reubenator either! Definitely need to get up for a look around.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Problem with the area already planted is the new trees will be fairly susceptible to people digging through roots etc by accident, it wont go down well?

Pete – that was what I was thinking on when I mentioned the above re-forming. Great minds think alike 😀

doug_basqueMTB.com

Ha Ha! Good to see a pic of the old trails! That drop WAS the origional line but we changed the trail because it was a bit hard to link it in. We made the trail go further to the right as you come into it with the two options, the steep chute with the right-hander at the bottom or the easier chute which has the fallen tree at the bottom or the option to launch off the tree stump and jump the fallen tree.

Jon, last time I was there (ages ago) I saw that someone had been riding the drop, we’d built an entry to it but it had been changed (for the better I have to say) so I guess that must have been you. We talked about finishing that line down to Rosies road. We also built a sort of drop/berm thing that was going to be part of a new line up there but life took over and we never did finish it.

I take it that the Ruebenator is the bit that Rueben smashed his wrist on.

I also was shown (and accused of building) another line between the flux and the trail with the drop on it. It’s very steep with off camber switchbacks. Very tricky. I wish I did build it but had nothing to do with it, honestly! I don’t know if that’s being ridden at all at the moment but it was very technical.

Anyway, just nice to hear of the old trails from one who is many miles away! Enjoy and take care of them eh?

lovewookie

Haven’t seen you for a while although I pass the bottom of your garden at least once a week – where you been hiding?

Yeah, I’ve been mostly getting out solo, early in the mornings, including at the weekends. It’s been a while since I’ve been out on a Tuesday run, should try again soon, but stuff just needs doing before the wedding I guess….;)

back on thread…

I did have a scout about to see if I could link a trail from the top of rosies to the view point over Craigallian Loch, but the rhodies got in the way….:(

PROLINE85
    Free Member

Pistola give us a shout if you need some more bodies for trail building.

lovewookie

It’s worthwhile remembering we only clear trails that exist, but have become overgrown.

quite what the difference is between a trail and a ‘oh a deer may have wandered this way’ mark on the ground I’m not sure 😉

iainc

PROLINE85 – there will likley be a ‘call to hands’ round the GMBC mail group in next few weeks – will make sure you get included. cheers

craig1975
    Free Member

I do quite a bit of riding in that area a good couple of times a week, Ill lend a hand too, I have some tools and not shy of some manual labour, just give me a shout

iainc

cheers Craig – will do

allyharp

I’d be keen to lend a hand too!

As far as clearing only goes, there are sections where you can still see the old trails. It might be possible that the bulk of their length still exists beneath all the branches lying around.

iainc

ally – me and Pete were talking about that last night while going up past the Loch – reckon that as you say, clearing the surface brash type stuff should expose a lot of the underlying stuff.

missed the GMBC ride tonight as knackered from a blast up the Whangie yesterday, but it was worth it -)

GR
    Free Member

Hi I ride in this area alot as well would be more than willing to help if you just
    let me know when

pistola
    Free Member

Thanks for everyones offers to help. I’m on holiday the next couple of weeks but after that I’ll put a shout out for bodies and we’ll spend a couple of hours one weekend and gets some trails back!

Thanks y’all!

lovewookie

sounds like a plan…..

🙂

2tyred

Likewise, I’m fairly local and would happily join in of an evening!

klegg
    Free Member

I’m interested in helping out re-establish some lines again. a hammer and some good nails might be helpful

Viewing 18 posts - 41 through 58 (of 58 total)

The topic ‘MUGDOCK tree felling’ is closed to new replies.