Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 58 total)
  • MUGDOCK tree felling
  • klegg
    Free Member

Is it a case of get there while you can. It seems a huge portion might be cut down

rj
    Free Member

Alright Pete? Give us a shout if you fancy getting out for a ride sometime, and leave you number this time.

OrangeChammy
    Free Member

Noooooo! they have already ruined the best singletrack, leave it alone, plus it gets rid of Glasgow’s fumes too.

‘mon the trees, I feel a call to swampie coming on…

PROLINE85
    Free Member

Where are they felling?

klegg
    Free Member

They’ve felled a whole section on the WHW about a quarter mile up out of the mugdock park itself, OK its not officially mugdock park but close enough. Another section felling at the moment is on re-entry to mugdock park arriving at a T junction at top of a doubletrack climb visible on the left side.

RJ how the hell r ya – mail me binlinerbusterAThotmailDOTcoDOTuk

iainc

klegg – where you meaning about that second section – soounds like you are decribing Rosie’s ?

klegg
    Free Member

i thought it all came under mugdock park, sorry my directions are bit vague … Rosies? not a clue mate, just know some trees have been downed there and it isn’t wind thats caused it

coffeeking
    Free Member

I’ll have to have a right out there at teh weekend and see, but they have been felling the lot along the side of the loch way out back for ages. It is forestry land so cant complain too much I suppose, we can always find new trails

allyharp

SHIT! Are they determined to destroy all the trail?

T-junction sounds like Rosies. I’ll head up either tomorrow or Saturday for look (with photos!)

allyharp

That was the top of rosies tonight, looking left towards Boards Farm.

Looks like it’s just a another fallen tree, there have been loads in that area.

coffeeking
    Free Member

I have been out with half a dozen different people and no-one has the same name for each section. Drives me nuts!

klegg
    Free Member

Thats the section, so they ain’t fellin… not so bad then, can expect to still ride the tracks around there then,
    So now be on the look out for riders getting hit by trees instead of the opposite………. 😀

allyharp

Doesn’t look like felling, but I hope someone takes a saw to that tree that’s blocking the path! Last winter there was a fallen tree in much the same formation which lay for months.

I take it you know the tracks around there? Singletrack about 100m on from the photo and about 20m left? 😉

sharki
    Free Member

Here’s an idea, how about popping down there and sawing through it yerself….

Much better than waiting for months for someone else to do it.

Local trail riders around here sort out most the fallen trees that block the trails, much quicker than waiting for the FC or landowners to be bothered…

Might be up in Glasgow during mid july and august and will be interested in riding in the area..

coffeeking
    Free Member

Sharki – not sure why the reply in that tone, but from the previous rides I’ve done in the area none of the fallen trees were/are an issue, in fact some form fun obstacles and the others are nothing more than a detour or a quick off – why would you want to go sawing through them all? I dont think anyone is waiting for anyone else to do it, we just get on with the riding? The OP was concerned that there was felling going on which usually rips everything up and ends the trails completely, but there’s not, it just appears to be a few more natural falls, which no-one is complaining about.

DickBarton

Maybe sharki is wanting the trail cleared for when he arrives so he can sample it at it’s finest?

Only issue with DIY’ing a fallen tree is if it does go pear-shaped and you get injured (or stuck) then there is a whole can of issues waiting to be unleashed on you. Personally, I don’t see anything wrong with DIY’ing it out the way but it needs to be done properly rather than just hacked or dragged/man-handled into the woods (not suggesting this is how it would be done, just trying to set a scene)…best thing would be to report it and let the ‘professional’s deal with it – but if it hasn’t been dealt with after a week then perhaps a wee help wouldn’t go astray…

allyharp

Well the tree looks just about chunky enough to be awkward to saw through without somebody else holding, and I never ride that area with anyone else so I doubt I’ll have that chance. I am happy to help if anyone else wants to have a bash, but I also don’t own a saw.

There’s a professional tree fellers based at the bottom of the hill about 500m away, perhaps it’s causing them inconvenience too 😀

iainc

ally….that tree just gives an added reason to ride the flux…..-)

iainc

oops, double post…

sharki
    Free Member

Guys, i’m sorry, i didn’t mean for it to come out on any kinda offish tone.

Personally i’d rather keep the flow of riding rather than have to get off, if that means taking 20mins to chop through i will.

Myself like many, ride in FC managed land and as a result suffer trail loss, unlike privately owned land where as the land managers have a responsibility to clear rights of way, FC land is different, lots of it is access only for the working forest vehicles, if the tree is down across a non right of way they don’t need to shift it….

As DB says, notify them and the will normally get it down within a few weeks, if they become aware the general public are sawing through fallen trees they would rather see to it themselves than risk public injury on the land they manage.

I accept many fallen trees are too dangerous to tackle without the knowledge and tools, my comment was based more on the pic up there, it’s a simple one to cut through and clear, but if it’s not something your sure about doing fair enough.

If it is a right of way, then it must be kept clear and there are numbers you can call to get it done, unless a cheeky diversion can be made 😉

davidrussell
    Free Member

FC land is different, lots of it is access only for the working forest vehicles, if the tree is down across a non right of way they don’t need to shift it….

its our land mate, we have a right of responsible access (in Scotland of course)

pistola
    Free Member

Can I make a suggestion?:

Following on from davidrussell’s post; someone (OP?) email the Access Officer of Stirling Council and send him the pic/let him know this path is blocked. It’s near the top of the Gowk Stane (the big boulder half way up)path. He will contact the local FC guy who will sit on the Local Access Forum with him/her. From memory this forest is owned by a private forestry company (Tillhill?) but the FC guy will know who to contact. The Landowner/forester has an obligation to keep existing paths clear under The Land Reform Act Landowners must manage their land or water responsibly for access.

I love Scotland!

craig1975
    Free Member

I was that way on Sunday and had to climb over the fallen tree, the two adjacent are in a very precarious position, My guess would be that if you tried to tackle them on your own with out the tools or knowledge you will probably end up DEAD with hole lot of timber on top of you, or if your lucky maybe just a little squished 😛

timber

Look like a bunch of windblown trees – were probably vulnerable if they are on the edge of a cleared area.

Looks a fairly major path so imagine the owners would be quite obliged if they knew – takes a 6 week cycle to get around to some of our sites

wouldn’t tackle those (well obviously I would but you know), at best the saw will jam, at worst you’ll get a 2 ton kick or buried under the root plate, full of compression and tension.
    secondly, they look saleable pieces

multi windblow sites can be a bit twitchy to clear, but fantastic adrenalin rush when it gets hairy

Northwind

“its our land mate, we have a right of responsible access (in Scotland of course)”

You have the right of access but that doesn’t mean they have to clear the path.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Northwind is correct.

PROLINE85
    Free Member

So the bit in the woods there is called the flux then? Good section, I take it GMTBC probably had a hand in it.

What was the bit like at the opposite side of the loch/pond where they carried out the felling? Someone was telling me about “the impossible corner”.

Never found the trails on that side where the huts are, are there any left over there after the felling?

Cheers 🙂

lovewookie

There is a tiny amount left over right at the top of the hill, you can get to it through the huts still, but it’s not really worth it unless you plan to zip to the carbeth inn and back throug the huts.

I think the trails never managed to make it past beiong called the ‘new trails’ and now they are very gone.

Summer may reveal a few lines through the stumps though…

coffeeking
    Free Member

Incidentally, I’d probably give it a go at clearing it, but you need to be damn careful, I know of someone who was killed by a smaller tree than that falling on them while they were clearing it from their back garden! If in doubt, call the guys who know what they’re doing out (and have bigger better tools to play with!).

I wish someone would make a map of the mugdock routes. I’ve been out loads of times now and cant remember half of them, let alone the names lol.

PROLINE85
    Free Member

Cheers Lovewookie will have a look about!

allyharp

ally….that tree just gives an added reason to ride the flux…..-)

I’m not man enough for the flux!!
    Not quite true, I’ve ridden most of it many times but there’s just one bit I haven’t the balls for. A ruddy big rock dropoff onto a very steep landing threading through the trees just has too much potential to go wrong for my liking!

Lovewookie, I think there’s a lot of clearing necessary before there’s any scope for trails through the stumps. I was up at the top today and the place is just covered in branches of all sizes. Worst of all were some very deep caterpillar tracks right through the middle which were quite muddy even in today’s dry weather.

J0N
    Free Member

MUGDROP, as I named it when I scoped the line.

Its totally safe and leads you into it nicely. Its really just a two foot drop but the 40dg slop can make it bigger when taken at speed. I always check the landing though if I havent been up for a few weeks.
    Stone causeway and skinny(work in progress) is mine too.
    woo hoo, someone else rides my trail. 😉 Hope you like it.
    I miss the carbeth hill trails. 🙁

PROLINE85
    Free Member

Top trail Jon! Keep up the good work, more trails needed…

allyharp

You know Jon, I don’t even think that’s the bit I was thinking of. But that definitely looks like something that’s beyond me! I haven’t even done a 2ft drop to flat before.

I was thinking of something nearer the bottom when you come out at rosies. But I haven’t ridden the trail in ages so maybe the mind warps the description!

Will definitely head up within the next week and take a look at what’s new.

pistola
    Free Member

I’ve just emailed the Access Officer at Stirling Council about the offending trees. Hopefully will get the wheels in motion to get them removed…

lovewookie

Ally, I think your talking about right at the bottom? There’s a couple of lines down that, straight down or a tight left hander leading to a couple of rocks with what can only be described as a ‘v’ notch between them. If you go for the notch then straight onto a tighty righty, along a bit, left a bit over the roots and out onto rosies.

Can’t think where that drop is that JON’s posted, must be slightly off piste of the original track, though I recall the line to the left of Reuben’s wristbreaker slope looks like it’s had a bit more use, so there may be some new lines in there, it’s been a while since I went on an adventure with my pruning saw.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Ally, a 2ft to flat is harder than a drop like the one pictured, its always a thousand times easier to land on a down as you’re going that way already 🙂

pistola
    Free Member

lovewookie, that drop is further to the left near the top of the descent – a third option to Flux and Reubenator, if you like!

Haven’t seen you for a while although I pass the bottom of your garden at least once a week – where you been hiding?

J0N
    Free Member

The pic is from a route to the left of the fall-line descents, so might not have been found then…does that mean I’ve given away my littel secret TTF 🙂
    The method of threading the needle is the way I do it too. Those descents are treacherous in the wet/winter.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Do they rip up the old stumps or leave them when they’ve deforested? If they leave them surely now is the time to get in there and start re-forming trails on the stuff they’ve knocked down?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 58 total)

The topic ‘MUGDOCK tree felling’ is closed to new replies.