Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Mugdock?
  • clowner
    Free Member

Going to head up to Mugdock after work tomorrow afternoon for the first time.

Looking for advice on where it is best to park and pointers on where the best sections of trail are located.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

There is a big car park at the trail head, near the reservoir as I recall. The best section of trail is undoubtedly the last section called Runway. Fast and swoopy and then a dozen or so tabletops and doubles all in a row and all easy enough to give you a big grin without inducing rabbit's nose. The trail's pretty short so just do it all and then session the bits you liked most – unless there's been more added since this time last year

stilltortoise
    Free Member

Sorry, I'm getting confused with somewhere else (Carron Valley Kelpie trail).

My recollection of Mugdock is that you need a local to get the best out of them. There'll be along in a minute 😳

clowner
    Free Member

Your description sounds like Carron Valley.

Are you confused or is Mugdock similar?

I was under the impression that Mugdock had no 'marked' man-made trails

sillyoldman

Think you're getting Carron Valley and Mugdock muxed ip???

Mugdock has many carparks and many many more trails. Best bet is to hook up with GMBC on a Tues or Wed night to get to see some trails. If you're heading out tomorrow have fun – they're riding really well at the moment.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

Are you confused or is Mugdock similar?

Yes, I was confused, hence…

Sorry, I'm getting confused with somewhere else (Carron Valley Kelpie trail).

🙂

coffeeking
    Free Member

Not sure I'm going to be free or I'd offer. Depends what bits of mugdock you want to do. you can either park up near the visitor centre (the main carpark closes fairly early but the east car park (I think) stays open all night – its just a gravel area. Or you can park in milngavie and ride up through all the trails past the golf course. Actually IN mugdock is a bit dull mostly, but just northwest of it is much more fun and is accessed from it.

sillyoldman

"Actually IN mugdock is a bit dull mostly" – you've missed some hidden gems in that case…..

meikle_partans
    Free Member

the forestry commisson forest just to the northwest is wehre you want to be. i have tracklogs and stuff in googlemaps that would help you but i have no idea how to show them to you. if someone would tell me then i can.

Sanny
    Free Member

A bit dull? Are you having a laugh? Have you actually ridden there, coffeeking? There's heaps of lovely singletrack to be had when you head off the main trails e.g stuff along the riverbank, the rocky rooty, Drumclog Moor, Voodoo Hill etc

Sheesh – trail centre riders, I don't know! 😆

J0N
    Free Member

River run, Castle descent, First descent (rocky rooty), Moor.
    Lots in Mugdock and lots beyond. The WHW to Dumgoyne and the Whangie are great as well for the longer distance.
    Also the old rail line along to Lennoxtown and up in the forest for some of the old (partially forgotten) trails – local knowledge necessary.
    Hours of fun.

craa22uk

last time up there i logged my route with the old iphone

http://www.everytrail.com/view_trip.php?trip_id=596434

took in a fair bit either side of the drumclog carpark – have been back since and realise i didn't do down toward the golf course where there's some good stuff and also the trail down by the river toward the boundary road is v good at moment in the dry (lovely bluebells too)

anyhoo hope that's some use

J0N
    Free Member

Is there any worth while singletrack on the hill between the two sections of reservoir (east side of the road)? I never ridden over there.

craa22uk

yeah there's plenty good track in there

u02sgb
    Free Member

Funny, i don't know you lot and yet the description "rocky rooty" tells me exactly the trail you mean (descent the comes out on the main path by the river with crescent stones with writing on them). I've always called it the "Rooty route of death" – less so now I have suspension :).

Stu.

J0N
    Free Member

u02sgb that sounds about right. Never knew its name but its always our first descent. Aim is always to do the lower bit with no brakes. I dont think I've quite managed it yet.

My usual loop

Takes in most of my favourite bits. Lots to add on though all over the place.

u02sgb
    Free Member

Oooh, handy. Thanks JON I'll have a look at that at home and figure out if there are any new bits on it. I've only recently found the stuff out near what I believe is usually called "Roses road" and I've been riding at Mugdock for 18 years!

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Mugdock?’ is closed to new replies.