Mudhugger vs. Mudguardz

Home Forum Bike Forum Mudhugger vs. Mudguardz

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Mudhugger vs. Mudguardz
  • jim25

Personally, I havn’t been that impressed with my mudhugger fitted to a set of new fox 36’s. It doesn’t really seem to stop much more splashing than my old marsh guard equivalent did and looks less tidy aswell… I can’t ride in the wet without glasses/goggles which is what I was sold in believing.

I would personally dig a little deeper and get the powa dfender version next time. Look much better practically and aesthetically

stupot

Weirdly I was going to say the opposite. I have been impressed with my mudhugger, and think it looks ok compared to others

legend

This:

Looks better than this?

Aesthetics aside, I feel my Mudhugger does a much better job than my old Mucky Nutz. No mudguard is going to keep all the crap out when riding at speed though

jim25

In my opinion yes, I’m a Motoxer and it looks similar to the front mudguard on them.
    In fairness, my mudhugger is the original front version, they have since revised it to the one pictured above, so may well be different.

Premier Icon Jon Taylor
    Subscriber

Having been impressed recently by how effective these are (compared to my Marsh Guard, which I’ll put back on for the ‘summer’) I figured I’d might as well humiliate my bikes for the winter and join the club.

Mudhugger Race

Rockguardz PG450

Both plastic, both about the £25 mark including delivery. Is there much to separate them? SHould I got for the longer or shorter versions?

I’ll be fitting to some Fox 34’s. Ideally I’d be able to fit and remove it repeatedly but I can accept I’m just going to burn through a lot of cable ties this winter!

Anyone got a reason to go with one or the other?

Premier Icon rOcKeTdOg
    Subscriber

Mudhugger FR, the ability to see the trail ahead should never be underrated. You can now customise them with colours to match your bike direct from the factory

legend

jim25 – Member
    In fairness, my mudhugger is the original front version, they have since revised it to the one pictured above, so may well be different.

That make sense, the original was a lot smaller than the one pictured above

Premier Icon Jon Taylor
    Subscriber

I had a sloppy ride in the Lakes a couple of weeks ago. The fella with the Rockguardz (I think) had a clean jersey and face. Me on the other hand…

warns74

Just replaced my Marsh Guard with a Rockguardz (Mudguardz) PG350 for the winter.

It’s still bone dry down south so haven’t tried it out yet but it looks good and the fit is superb, feels rock solid.

core

Is it rockguardz who now offer a cheaper plastic version as opposed to the very expensive carbon?

core

To answer my own question – yes, and in different lengths:

http://www.rockguardz.com/mudguardz.html

STATO

jim25 – Member

In my opinion yes, I’m a Motoxer and it looks similar to the front mudguard on them.

Yes the original is way too short for a 36. There will still be a clear line of sight from the tyre through the stations. You need the longer Race, the original only really works upto 130mm IMO (unless you have good clearance in which case you can tweak it by moving the holes to pull the rear up, doesn’t work on many forks though).

warns74

core – Is it rockguardz who now offer a cheaper plastic version as opposed to the very expensive carbon?

The one in the pic above is the new plastic one, (the shorter one).

Can anyone clarify whether the RockGuardz are all Ok for 29er wheels? I thought I saw that some of these guards need to be ordered specifically for 29er wheels but that doesn’t seem to be the case on their website.

onedpete

Ok, I’m rejuvenating this thread as I’d like some input myself…I’m wanting a front mudguard of sorts and like the look of these. I’ve been running a Marshguard for last couple years and found it pretty decent tbh. I’m tempted to just get another one for the new bike, maybe with the stash for a bit of extra protection. Has anyone been using the rockguardz pg 350? I do like the look of that one as I regularly transport my bike in the back of the car, so not sure about the long ones…any advice please??

Premier Icon tomaso
    Subscriber

I had a mark 1 mudhugger and it was quite good. I now have a PG450 and it is longer and more effective, but I think the new mudhugger is too.

Premier Icon Jon Taylor
    Subscriber

I do like the look of that one as I regularly transport my bike in the back of the car, so not sure about the long ones…any advice please??

OP here,. I bought a Rockguardz (I think the PG450) and it’s been great.

I drilled out the holes in to slots and use it with some double sided velcro so that I can remove the mudguard and swap it between bikes (also so that I can transport it in the car, lying on its side, with the forks face down).

However we realised the bike does fit in to the car upside down, which means I don’t have to take the mudguard off at all any more anyway.

Premier Icon Speshpaul
    Subscriber

The guys at Rockguardz are really helpful and all great riders, they’ve built a range of Guardz in different lengths now.

The “cheaper Plastic” one is cheaper and polycarbinate, but is a quality product that works very well. The carbon ones are still available, and look ace, and the ploy ones have a bit of flex in them.

Their frame Guardz are pretty ace as well.

nickhit3

cant speak for the Rockguardz, but the Mudhugger FR has impressed me greatly. Didn’t have to mod the mounting as mentioned above and its very secure. It’s flexible too so I’ve not had issues in the back of the car (a common question) or when crashing (even commoner..) Leaving it on year round now. Cant believe i survived for so long with a Marshguard- the looks wont bother you after an hour. The de-stickered one is unobtrusive too.

Mudhuggers are good. The longer they are the more effective they are simply put.

PowaDefender is way more effective and easy to remove when you don’t want to use it (once you’ve put a zip tie guard on you wont bother taking it off)

oikeith

I picked up a Mudhugger FR on the weekend for my 29er, it replaces one of those smaller guards as I became sick of spray in my face.

I have to say, although it was painful setting it up, I am impressed. The trails down here after several consecutive days of rain are soaked and the guard is doing a good job at keeping spray of my face and glasses.

Premier Icon rOcKeTdOg
    Subscriber

The Mudhugger SL work great too & they are only £13. If you’ve got clearance issues or have forced a 27.5+ tyre in your 29er fork they could be the answer to clear vision

onedpete

I was swaying towards the rockguardz pg350 guard, wondering how it compares performance wise to the mudhugger shorty? I don’t habitually ride when it’s proper mingling out, so thinking I might get away with the slightly sexier shorter versions

jedi

Mudhugger for the win

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.